Black Gold video discussion

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
scandal84
Marionette

Black Gold video discussion

Post by scandal84 »

When I see the video for BLACK GOLD- sometimes I get confused about what David is trying to say on a sociological level ! Did David ever discuss this song ??? What do you think SA is trying to say in this song --especially on a sociological level ??? Let's discuss !

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Re: Black Gold video discussion

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Well, in concert he's said it's about George Bush Senior.

-Rob
scandal84 wrote:When I see the video for BLACK GOLD- sometimes I get confused about what David is trying to say on a sociological level ! Did David ever discuss this song ??? What do you think SA is trying to say in this song --especially on a sociological level ??? Let's discuss !

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

Without going over the lyrics and analyzing it...it appears to call attention to the politics of oil over people. That would reflect the dynasty of George Bush Sr. and those times, as well as be appropriate today. Dave and I are fairly close in age, so I'm sure he remembers the gas crisis of the 70's, and the legacy of Ronald Reagan's "trickle-down" economics as well. We were raised during the tail end of the Cold War. Russia was supposed to be the enemy, then we made nice and made a show of disarming nuclear weapons. Is this too simplistic? I'm not going to presume I've nailed every aspect of the lyrics, but I've always felt in tune with its overall tone and theme.

Peace,
Carol

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

For what it's worth, the Black Gold single has a cover that may or may not be some kind of message in itself:

Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I think that in the time that video was in heavy play, any sociopolitical statement was lost to me in the distraction of norm pushing a car and how hot dave looked reflected in that puddle of oil. In fact I know it was all lost on me because those are the only two things i remember from that video. Aside from being very creeped out by the girl all covered in oil and looking like an out take from "carrie".
i suppose if i were to objectively look at it now i'd be able to manage "oil crisis" and "bush senya" but i'm useless for the most part in this.

i'm sorry. i really hated that song and paid zero attention to it. i still skip it.

downonuptome
Stranger

Post by downonuptome »

I've always wondered Miracle Mile could be about. Or maybe it's a simple meaning and I'm just not seeing it.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

downonuptome wrote:I've always wondered Miracle Mile could be about. Or maybe it's a simple meaning and I'm just not seeing it.
I love Miracle Mile, but I don't have a clue what it's about. I can't understand half of the lyrics, which doesn't help.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

sheryl wrote:I can't understand half of the lyrics, which doesn't help.
That's one of the reasons why we have a lyric section. Maybe this will help?

My opinion on what Miracle Mile is about (though it may be a long shot):

I'm not totally sure if there's some special meaning behind the song, but I kind of feel that most of it is a story telling song (but not in the same sense as String of Pearls). I see (or hear) it as someone describing another person who was seen outside a drug manufacturer (which is hidden inside a second-hand store). The drug might be known as the Miracle Mile (or may be the nickname of the street its on).

The guy enters the factory and goes down to where they're making the drug. By the end of the song he's taken the drug ("White lines fadin' fast in a cathouse breath"). I could probably go on and type out a whole line for line idea on what I think the song is about, but I'd just rather leave it at this for now (before it sounds like I'm the one on the Miracle Mile). :)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

scandal84
Marionette

another angle on this topic

Post by scandal84 »

I am the person who started this topic. I would like to discuss why DAVE says "black soldier, white fight" ; and why that black women in the video appears to be covered in either blood or oil. Let's discuss

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

Ok, I posted my opinion earlier on this, but not specifically on that piece of lyric. If I had to stretch...meaning guess (hopefully) intelligently...Dave might be referring to the large numbers of African Americans that volunteered for the armed forces (in order to either pay for college or get a career) during peacetime only to find themselves embroiled in a conflict that involved (IMO) securing America's foreign oil supply more than human rights.

Is this what Dave meant? I dunno. I just like the song. Please make sure that you put your head in the right decade (or conflict) when analyzing. The Gulf War was 1990-1991, right? Many people felt that we were there not to rescue Kuwait as much as to rescue our oil interests.

Whatcha think?