What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Stand Up and Be Strong
5%
Lately
6%
Crazy Mixed Up World
9%
All Is Well
14%
Bus Named Desire
8%
Whatcha Need
2%
Standing Water
3%
Success Is Not So Sweet
8%
The Great Exaggerator
8%
Oxygen
31%
Good For You
No votes
Slowly Rising
5%
Fearless Leader
3%

Total votes: 65

matrok
Runaway

Post by matrok »

Thanks Jim!!

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

When I purchase a new cd (yes; I still purchase cd's); I like to listen to it in it's entirety, then go back and listen to the songs that really catch my ear.

On my first listen to "TSL"; I didn't do that. In fact; I listened to 2 songs twice before making it through the whole cd; "Success" and "Oxygen."

"Success" was instantly my favorite song on the cd; still is and makes my top 5 Soul Asylum songs of all time.

"Oxygen" is the other song that struck a chord with me immediately. Maybe it's the thought of losing one of your best friends (obviously, Karl) of 20+ years when you really aren't that old. The "love/ hate" thing in the lyrics; but "loving" him (Karl) unconditionally is really powerful especially for a man to write that about another man.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

Sidi
Brand New Shine

Re: What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Post by Sidi »

Homesick wrote:I just added a "Featured Poll" to the front page, and I thought I'd kick-start teature by asking a question of my own. (I'd love suggestions for future featured polls, though!)

The Silver Lining is approaching its second birthday, and to be honest, I think the album sounds just as great as it did back in the summer of 2006. It may just be my very favorite SA album, but I'll hold off on saying that conclusively until a couple more years. ;)

After all this time, there's one song in particular that has always stood out in my ears: Standing Water. In my honest opinion, it's the new Runaway Train, and that's saying a lot. There's just so much emotion in that song, and it's the perfect midpoint for the album (although it would have been just as good or maybe even better as the closing track). I sincerely believe that it could have done very well had it aired on the radio. After almost two years of listening to the album, I can safely say that Standing Water gets my vote for best song on The Silver Lining.

(P.S. I know the side column on the front page is a bit crammed right now, but I'm going to rearrange it a little bit and try out another solution that should work better.)

Code: Select all

[list][list=][img][/img][url][color=green][/color][/url][/list][/list]
    [/u][/i][/b]

sayeeda
    Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

I voted early on for Oxygen but didn't leave a comment 'til now. That song, from the first time I heard it, and more so than any other off TSL, immediately caught my ear. It's one I can play repeatedly without ever getting tired of it. :D

Judgmental Patient
    Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
    TheJudge wrote:(Hmmm. Replace "Oxygen" with "Without a Trace" and... hmmm...)
    I know its probably in parenthesis for a reason, and that you're just thinking (as shown by your "hmmms"), but I'm just a little confused about this part. Care to elaborate?
    My favorite song on Grave Dancer's Union was Without a Trace, from side 12, even though the whole first half was very strong.
    What happened son, you could have been someone
    You could have been much more

Sandrine
    Marionette

Post by Sandrine »

After hesitating between Watcha Need and Oxygen, I went with Oxygen.

I've been listening to TSL those days and it is a great album all round.

CrazyLittleWoman
    Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Slowly Rising, Fearless Leader, and Oxygen in that order.

Good for You is too repetitious, but the humor redeems it for me. The orange juice line and the lines "And the afterlife / Who really cares?" cracked me up.

Stand Up and Be Strong is the song I always skip. It's entirely predictable, which is unusual for Soul Asylum. Their songs are structured, but not wholly predictable.
    "Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

sayeeda
    Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Agreed. Though I like the intro...I was still a bit disappointed with
    "Stand Up..." the first time I heard it. The lyrics seemed formulaic. Someone earlier called it an anthem song.

Anyone else care to share your honest opinion? What did you think when you first heard it? Was it also predictable or formulaic for you, or no?

mystic_spiral_3
    O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

The first time a number of us heard it was in 2002, I think. I remember one soundcheck when it got played, and maybe in an encore (not sure if it was a show I actually attended or one I have a recording of). Given that it was played at these times, I never thought it was one of their new "big" songs so it was a little surprising to me that it ended up being the lead off track and single.

The lyrics changed some from 2002, though when I heard it back then I did really like the "remember you're blessed" part of the song so I was glad it survived.

I like the song enough but it did seem to lack a little "punch" when I first heard it on myspace. I think it's much more fun in concert when they bring their friends onstage to sing it.

CrazyLittleWoman
    Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Thanks for your reply, Sayeeda. I was afraid I might be committing heresy about Stand Up and Be Strong.

"Formulaic" is a good word for the lyrics (and music) and that was the biggest disappointment for me with Stand Up. It's hard to believe Dave Pirner wrote this song. Stand Up is devoid of Pirnerisms (those idiosyncratic rhymes and images that could only come from Dave). His interesting way with words is what made me a fan in the first place, so this song was a bit of a letdown.
    "Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)