What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Stand Up and Be Strong
5%
Lately
6%
Crazy Mixed Up World
9%
All Is Well
14%
Bus Named Desire
8%
Whatcha Need
2%
Standing Water
3%
Success Is Not So Sweet
8%
The Great Exaggerator
8%
Oxygen
31%
Good For You
No votes
Slowly Rising
5%
Fearless Leader
3%

Total votes: 65

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

I say lighten up on "Stand". I think it's a great opening song on the cd and leads perfectly into "lately." It's a great concert song and a great way to end the show. I like the "postive" message in the song. This is another song that makes me think that Dave wrote this for Karl.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

I have to defend "Stand Up and be Strong" as well (but no, I don't think anyone should be accused of heresy for their opinion). It is what I call "radio friendly" which should not condemn it, although I do agree it stands a bit apart from what most fans expect from Dave & co, lyrically. Of course every time I hear it, I flashback to seeing my daughter (five years old at the time) onstage with the band.

Peace,
Carol

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

I voted in all these polls, but haven't commented in any of them, so I guess I'll start now. First, I wanted to agree that this is a great album. This is one that revealed itself to me over time. I thought it was okay the first few times I listened to it, with a few songs that were particularly catchy, but the more I played it, the more I realized just how good it is overall. There are very few albums I listen to in their entirety these days -- I usually shuffle or skip arond on iTunes. But this is one that I listen to as an album (as is Horse).

And voting for favorite song was hard (unlike some of the others, where there was a clear standout for me). My favorites are probably "All Is Well" (which I voted for) and "Crazy Mixed Up World," but I actually think the best track on the album is "Whatcha Need." It's a fantastic and totally underrated song. I think it actually could have done really well on the radio - if it had been released under a name other than Soul Asylum. I think it would have sounded like too much of a departure for them and people would have had trouble getting past that.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Oh my! :( Don't get the wrong impression. I like the message in "Stand" as well...God knows it gets me through some tough days and it is great live. I suppose it's that I expected more from the lyrics and didn't get that "punch" as mentioned before.

Ooooh...I loove Watcha Need and Success! Actually, I like 'em all and the slow ones best...though Oxygen still is my favorite! :D

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Letting up now.

I really liked most of the songs on TSL and have several favorites.

"Radio friendly" doesn't put me off. SA found me through commercial radioplay of Misery.

I also respect the fact that creative people have to follow inspiration where it leads. It's just that SA and Dave have set high standards for themselves, so maybe occasional mild disappointment is to be expected and allowed.

Forgiven?
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Crazy Little Women...

Well said in your last post about high standards. I agree.

Of course; you are entitled to your own opinion and all is forgiven even if you still said you didn't like "stand."

I just love the passion and enthusiasm we all share for this band. The is the first and only "chat room" type of stuff I have ever done. I am enjoying sharing my thoughts/ passion and hearing others thoughts/ passion for "our band." This website is really to good to be true.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

BlackStarr
Lone Rider

Post by BlackStarr »

Fearlessss Leader! and all of them I LOVE! :D RoK N Roll

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
matrok wrote:Where can I hear Directions, Freak Accident and Showtime though?
Check your inbox (I sent you 2 emails).

Directions - Demo
Freak Accident - Live at 400 Bar 5/22/04
Showtime - TSL Japanese bonus promo track
I've never heard "Freak Accident" and I've been looking for it. Could you send it to me too? I would really appreciate it.

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

Re: Forgiven?

Absolutely!

Peace,
Carol :P

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Closer wrote:
Monolith Maniac wrote:
matrok wrote:Where can I hear Directions, Freak Accident and Showtime though?
Check your inbox (I sent you 2 emails).

I've never heard "Freak Accident" and I've been looking for it. Could you send it to me too? I would really appreciate it.
File has been sent. :)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com