What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Stand Up and Be Strong
5%
Lately
6%
Crazy Mixed Up World
9%
All Is Well
14%
Bus Named Desire
8%
Whatcha Need
2%
Standing Water
3%
Success Is Not So Sweet
8%
The Great Exaggerator
8%
Oxygen
31%
Good For You
No votes
Slowly Rising
5%
Fearless Leader
3%

Total votes: 65

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re: What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Post by lune ellise »

philipgar wrote:
lune ellise wrote:I wouldn't consider Oxygen a song for Karl, as it was written before Karl was even diagnosed with cancer (and as far as I know Karl wasn't institutionalized). Oxygen is a great song on it's own, but it really doesn't have anything to do with Karl.
That's hasty assumption for you :oops: The lyrics of Oxygen just fitted with the situation of Karl - but the song has nothing to do with him, so there you have it. Thanks for the info.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

lune ellise wrote:
philipgar wrote:
lune ellise wrote:I wouldn't consider Oxygen a song for Karl, as it was written before Karl was even diagnosed with cancer (and as far as I know Karl wasn't institutionalized). Oxygen is a great song on it's own, but it really doesn't have anything to do with Karl.
That's hasty assumption for you :oops: The lyrics of Oxygen just fitted with the situation of Karl - but the song has nothing to do with him, so there you have it. Thanks for the info.
I probably should add on that Oxygen is one of the oldest (with the exception of success) songs on TSL. That was first played around March 2001, I think it was the fineline show where they debuted them, but I could be wrong. That's what I remember it from, as that was when I first heard it.

Phil

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I also first heard Oxygen in March 2001, the same show Phil mentioned. Ah, that was a fun night. :) I'm not sure if it was played before then; there were several SA shows in 2000 but I didn't go to those.

Given that Oxygen was first heard before Karl's diagnosis, I doubt the song was written for him. However, I did remember the lyrics changing and this is what I wrote up for myself after the Rock for Karl show in October 2004:

"Oxygen—I thought this was a fitting opener; after all, you need oxygen to survive and Karl just got through cancer treatment. It sounded more polished and I also noticed several new words. In addition to the "couple more volts," there was also "a couple more pills," and maybe a few other things. I don't know if they decided to add new lyrics or if the "couple more pills" was supposed to be about Karl getting through treatment (pills = some kind of medicine). Also, Dave welcomed everyone to the “shindig” and happily announced that all songs would be featuring Karl on bass. This was met with many cheers."

So ever since that show, I did wonder if the lyric changes were at all inspired by Karl's situation.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:I also first heard Oxygen in March 2001, the same show Phil mentioned. Ah, that was a fun night. :) I'm not sure if it was played before then; there were several SA shows in 2000 but I didn't go to those.

Given that Oxygen was first heard before Karl's diagnosis, I doubt the song was written for him. However, I did remember the lyrics changing and this is what I wrote up for myself after the Rock for Karl show in October 2004:

"Oxygen—I thought this was a fitting opener; after all, you need oxygen to survive and Karl just got through cancer treatment. It sounded more polished and I also noticed several new words. In addition to the "couple more volts," there was also "a couple more pills," and maybe a few other things. I don't know if they decided to add new lyrics or if the "couple more pills" was supposed to be about Karl getting through treatment (pills = some kind of medicine). Also, Dave welcomed everyone to the “shindig” and happily announced that all songs would be featuring Karl on bass. This was met with many cheers."

So ever since that show, I did wonder if the lyric changes were at all inspired by Karl's situation.
Todd,
Do you have a final say on when Oxygen was first played? Time to exercise your duty as club archivist :)

Phil

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

I have put my handy thus that I am woken up every morning with "Oxygen".
That is a great wake up. :D
Many Greetings from Germany
yours Cordelia

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:"Oxygen—I thought this was a fitting opener; after all, you need oxygen to survive and Karl just got through cancer treatment. It sounded more polished and I also noticed several new words. In addition to the "couple more volts," there was also "a couple more pills," and maybe a few other things. I don't know if they decided to add new lyrics or if the "couple more pills" was supposed to be about Karl getting through treatment (pills = some kind of medicine). Also, Dave welcomed everyone to the “shindig” and happily announced that all songs would be featuring Karl on bass. This was met with many cheers."

That's what I thought too! Well, the only way to prove that is to have a copy of the original lyrics...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

mikeage
Marionette

Post by mikeage »

stand up and be strong -
i think it's a good way to remember karl.
plus my 6 year old son does a great pirner impression.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Just wanted to let you all know that I have revised my earlier harsh opinion of Stand Up and Be Strong.

After many of you defended the song so staunchly, I decided to reconsider it. Some of you had said that hearing the song live made all the difference, but I had seen SA perform it live last fall and it hadn't really changed my mind.

So, the next few times I listened to TSL, I made myself listen to Stand instead of skipping it. I realized that my frame of mind at the time I first heard the song influenced my opinion. Honestly, I was in no mood for a song like that at the time. But several months had passed by the time you all came to the song's defense. So this time, I realized it wasn't too bad. I really liked the last verse in particular.

Then Soul Asylum closed the Ribfest show (June 21st) with a really great performance of it. The endearing way Dave sang the last verse sort of won me over. Now I have a fondness for the song that I didn't have before. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

49 people voted so far and "Good for You'' is the only song with not vote. Interesting.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Closer
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:49 am

49 people voted so far and "Good for You'' is the only song with not vote. Interesting.

It would be pretty tough to pick this song as a "favorite" song on the cd; but it's one of my favorite. I would like to see them add this to there set list. This is the only song off of "TSL" I haven't heard live.

Lyrically; this song contains some of my favorite lyrics on this cd, a small sampling...

"Just like orange juice,A walk around the lake..."

"It's just me and you, On a train moving slow, To heaven"... The way it's sung, what it means to me; well...I think it's pretty powerful. Wish I was talented enough to write it.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.