What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Stand Up and Be Strong
5%
Lately
6%
Crazy Mixed Up World
9%
All Is Well
14%
Bus Named Desire
8%
Whatcha Need
2%
Standing Water
3%
Success Is Not So Sweet
8%
The Great Exaggerator
8%
Oxygen
31%
Good For You
No votes
Slowly Rising
5%
Fearless Leader
3%

Total votes: 65

foureyedsometimes
Runaway

Re: What is your favorite song on The Silver Lining?

Post by foureyedsometimes »

An interesting album after a long wait. It must have been difficult for the band to record this with Karl's illness and all, but it came out sounding pretty great. I hope they don't wait too long for the next record.
I went with Oxygen, but really there are a number of songs that are great. Of the second period SA records, this is the second best after Dim Light, in my opinion.
And I know no-one else will care, but why no vinyl this time?
Can't put a square peg in a hole that's round.....

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

I agree foureyedsometimes! I have every other SA album on vinyl (except of course Time's Incinerator), all of which - except Say What You Will which I bought at the same time as Made to Be Broken -were purchased that way when they came out. (then later on CD also) I was even able to get Candy From A Stranger on vinyl and Horse on - oooohh Blue vinyl! So I was very disappointed that I was not able to get Silver Lining on vinyl to complete my set.

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

I voted for Stand Up and Be Strong. This song talks to me because I lost my sister and niece to a drunk driver on my birthday 4 years ago. I feel like Dave really articulates grief in this song.

But yes, Oxygen is great, All is Well is great and that crack in his voice someone mentioned is SO DAMN SEXY.

foureyedsometimes
Runaway

Let's start a campaign for Silver Lining on vinyl, blue or black or pink or green.
I've seen Horse on blue on eBay a few times but never dipped in. Was it expensive Lucy?
I never really collected SA, but have all of their vinyl, bar James at 16, and Tied to The Tracks (seen it but was way too much), and all the CDs, though I'm not really interested in CDs.
Pete

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

No, the blue Horse record was maybe a dollar or two more than the regular one because i bought at the time it was out, so was not so collectible. I also bought the Tied to the Tracks 45 at the time it was out, so I think it was just a couple of dollars too! I don't have most of the other singles, but I have a 10' of Black Gold and Sometime to Return 12". All of the other singles I have are CD singles.

foureyedsometimes
Runaway

I just found Tied to the Tracks on ebay for £3 ($6) so I'm a happy man.
I have the 7"s off Hang Time and a few of the later ones (post GDU) would love the James at 16 thing. Where can I find the bonus tracks or unreleased stuff?
Anyone kind enough to burn me some?

mumph
Marionette

Post by mumph »

I voted for Oxygen, and would have voted for Slowly Rising but Oxygen's got a higher playcount in my iTunes. :D

I was impressed with how Fearless Leader has grown since the slower version on the Misery EP.

Now if I could just find a collection of demos/outtakes from TSL *drool*

samtheslug
Runaway

Post by samtheslug »

I can't chose - it's a cross between 'Stand and be Strong', 'Lately', 'Crazy Mixed-up World' and 'Oxygen'.