the future

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

philipgar wrote: I remember the day I heard that Karl died thinking that this was the end of SA. I couldn't imagine the band going on without him, but I hadn't realized just how much the band meant to Karl. It was Karl's wish for the band to stay together, and they did, they finished the album, and toured for it. They truly loved doing that I think. In a way their TSL touring was a tribute to Karl.

This leads us to where the band is today. Anything could happen. I wouldn't be surprised for the band to continue playing a handful of shows, and I also wouldn't be surprised if within the next year or couple of years they do a show and unveil 4 or 5 new songs. It's in Dave's nature to write songs and play music. He won't stop doing that. He also loves the band. Dan seems to love the band too, and with that in mind, I don't see it dieing. I think to them, the band is a huge part of who they are, and they wouldn't want to take that away.

Phil
That's exactly (!) what I felt, I really, really thought they would not go on without Karl. So you're right, anything could happen; let's hope it does!!
Pat

cujofats
O'Jeezer

Post by cujofats »

Just a general observation here...the band seem to be booking mostly venues with a guarantee pay. State Fairs, Summer events, etc. And then the one off club booking here & there. I assume they just don't want to play the smaller clubs so much anymore, and they don't seem to have the popularity to fill the medium size venues these days. When they played the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco in August 2006, it was one third capacity at best. They probably didn't make a lot of money. If they had played a small club, like Bottom Of The Hill, it would have been full house. The next night they played a free show in San Jose in the park and it was full from start to finish. The guarantee the park promoters gave them was probably more than they made in S.F. the previous night.
I apologize if this is jumbled, I seem to have got that damn flu that is going around......
So the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk puts on free shows all summer here where I live. I read how fans of the band The Fixx emailed them , requesting they book the band, and indeed they did. So what the hell, I emailed the Boardwalk and asked them to consider Soul Asylum. Perhaps if anyone here lives in an area that puts on the kind of events that the band seem to be playing and we all email them we could get them to each of our different areas.
Then again, I think this flu is making me sound nuts, I better sign off now.....

PROMISESBROKEN
Social Butterfly

Post by PROMISESBROKEN »

clammers wrote:I could be wrong but I'm sure Dave, Dan and Michael have invested well over the years. I don't think anyone is hurting to pay bills or needing to get a day job past their extra musical things that they do. I mean...it's not like Dan & Dave have spent it on stage clothes over the years.
I've been sick with a stomach virus, and had my first good chuckle in a few days when I read your stage clothes comment. Thank you, Chad!

Tracy

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

PROMISESBROKEN wrote:
clammers wrote:I could be wrong but I'm sure Dave, Dan and Michael have invested well over the years. I don't think anyone is hurting to pay bills or needing to get a day job past their extra musical things that they do. I mean...it's not like Dan & Dave have spent it on stage clothes over the years.
I've been sick with a stomach virus, and had my first good chuckle in a few days when I read your stage clothes comment. Thank you, Chad!

Tracy
Well, Dave did splurge and buy at least a third shirt in '07. There was a period for a while where he seemed to wear one of two shirts at every show. It's a little disgusting to think about as you'd see pictures of him every day of a tour wearing the same shirt. . . .

Phil

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

but the tour dates were usually spread out a bit so you could go with him doing his laundry between shows ;)

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

dcjcycle wrote: It seemed like Karl and later his memory were the driving forces behind recording TSL.
Hence the title.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

The show I attended last October was free, so yes, they had to have been paid a flat fee. After the show, I started looking for TSL in music stores, big chain department stores, etc. and had no luck until my husband suggested Best Buy (they had two copies). Yes, you can purchase it on the internet, but it seems to me that that method depends more on a consumer bent on a particular purchase, and does not help with marketing or media exposure. With no contract, SA are at a grass roots level for marketing. On occasion, I have spread my enthusiasm a bit on venues such as YouTube, replying to comments from people who wanted to know where SA has gone.

It is my very humble opinion that if we, as a fan forum, would like to see more of SA, whether live or recorded, we could simply spread the word to the "uninformed" by way of responding to posts, making posts, and making radio station requests beyond the scope of this venue. I did talk to a few managers of music stores while I was conducting my initial search. In grocery stores, the policy tends to be, "if two people request the same item, put it on the shelf". I can't believe that management WOULDN'T respond to their customers, given enough demand.

Peace,
Carol

Sandrine
Marionette

Post by Sandrine »

cujofats wrote: So the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk puts on free shows all summer here where I live. I read how fans of the band The Fixx emailed them , requesting they book the band, and indeed they did. So what the hell, I emailed the Boardwalk and asked them to consider Soul Asylum. Perhaps if anyone here lives in an area that puts on the kind of events that the band seem to be playing and we all email them we could get them to each of our different areas.
I followed your suggestion and emailed 2 places in my area that organize that type of concert over the summer. One gave me the "Thank you for your interest in our concert series. Here is our current schedule" but this one from the Santa Monica Pier had me jumping up and down (I know, I don't need much) : "Thank you for the suggestion. I'm a Soul Asylum fan from back in the '80s and we discuss them every now and then with their booking agency. Not this summer, the way things are looking, but sometime, someday we could have them in the series."

Gives me something to look forward to!

:)