So how's everyone been lately?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

So how's everyone been lately?

Post by AlyssaJones »

Now that the spam's been taken care of once and for all (knock on wood) let's talk! This board's been far too quiet lately.

So what's everyone been up to? How was your Christmas and New Years? Any new hobbies or obsessions? Big life changes?

My year was pretty uneventful professionally (still in school and working the same crappy job), but as far as fun stuff goes, I got to travel alot and I saw the Goo Goo Dolls three times and got to meet everyone in the band, so that was fun. And of course, I saw SA twice which was odd because for once in my life THEY came to ME instead of me having to fly/drive several states away to catch a show. (Not that I mind traveling to see them one bit!)

I tried learning to skimboard when I went to the beach and that ended in lots of cuts and scrapes, but I'm still trying. Also, I figured out how to fix the white balance issue I'd been having on my camera when taking indoor pictures. Oh, and I still have an awesome boyfriend WHOM I HAVEN'T SEEN SINCE MAY, but he's still awesome. Right, monolith_maniac?

I'm working on a couple writing projects that are pretty shitty, but I'm still having fun writing them.

I guess that's about it! Now it's your turn. :) (Lurkers invited to participate!)

Homesick
Warden

Re: So how's everyone been lately?

Post by Homesick »

Nice to finally see a regular post here!

The tricky thing about the most recent rounds of spam is that they seem to be driven by humans being paid to answer anti-spam questions on a large scale. I've been trying out a few different countermeasures, but we'll have to wait at least a week to see if this latest one is more effective than the previous ones.

As for me, I'll be doing my master's thesis in computer science this semester. I've completed everything else in my studies on time, so barring any unintended delays, I'll officially be on the job market by this summer (although I've been doing some part-time work this past semester as well). I'll continue to not have much time for this website, so I'm lucky to have Jim doing a great job pretty much without me.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I caught SA twice in 2013 and I hope to see them again in 2014.

Christmas and New Years were...eventful. I was sick the day before I flew from NY home to Iowa. My family had to move up the Iowa-to-Pittsburgh drive up a day to beat a snowstorm. Christmas Eve my grandma's furnace had a problem so we were up late waiting for a tech to fix it. On the drive back to Iowa, a slab of ice fell off a truck and shattered the windshield of the rental car. I'm in Iowa two extra days because of the winter storm hitting the northeast.

It was nice to see family and friends during my break and take lots of pictures! :)

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

@mystic sorry to hear u had so many issues over the holiday. Must mean u have hit your quota and it will be smooth sailing for the rest of 2014

Best wishes to all in the new year!

Put the Bone In
Stranger

Post by Put the Bone In »

AlyssaJones wrote: I'm working on a couple writing projects that are pretty shitty, but I'm still having fun writing them.

I guess that's about it! Now it's your turn. :) (Lurkers invited to participate!)
You invited Lurkers so here we go!

What type of writing projects?

Why do you feel they are "pretty shitty"

Any chance you might share just a little?

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Put the Bone In wrote:
AlyssaJones wrote: I'm working on a couple writing projects that are pretty shitty, but I'm still having fun writing them.

You invited Lurkers so here we go!

What type of writing projects?

Why do you feel they are "pretty shitty"

Any chance you might share just a little?
Oh good lord. One's a 90-page fanfiction story about a certain band (not SA) that takes place in one day at a music festival, and the other is about a girl whose favorite rock star turns out to be her dad and they have to like, learn to love each other and stuff. The fanfic one is KINDA good but it's not something anybody anywhere would want to read, and the other one about the girl is okay, but the dialogue along with everything else is just clumsy and stupid and unnatural. It would be great if my writing didn't sound like that of a 13-year-old but eh, what're ya gonna do.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

hi guys... remember me?
well you all had more interesting/eventful holiday breaks than me.
my baby was sick for mine so we were just staying home holding a fussy baby a lot.
he cheered up on xmas eve though so we still had a fun christmas, and my 3 yr old was excited.
i had 2 weeks off from work which was nice, then had to do 3 weeks worth of work in the last 4 work days. now i am decompressing again.

anyways now i'm starting my count down (2 more months) until i'm out of this baby-phase forever (when my baby turns 1). then i will slowly start having more of a life.

i was pretty sad to miss Soul asylum coming to play very close to me in 2013 but it was just too difficult to coordinate timing and baby's feedings etc.

i just saw SA's facebook posts today which made me come check out this site.

mystic -> glad you are OK after your car incident.
alyssajones-> MAY?? sheesh jim. tsk tsk!!!!
also, the writings sounds like pretty neat premises at least. glad you're enjoying writing!
jakob -> good luck w/ the job hunt this year!!!

p.s. i'm about to go finish the Lizzie Bennett Diaries on youtube now.. only 5 more to go! will be so sad when it's over. that was my other hobby over the break! :)

lirinha
Runaway

Post by lirinha »

Hello friends , this time not write too, but access every day and every hour ! Sorry for the mistakes , my English is not very good and sometimes need to use the help of google translator. :?
Good Alyssa , my year was great , my job gives me great joy ( working in one of the biggest music studios of São Paulo , Nimbus Studios , so always know great artists , go to several shows and I am dedicating myself again to my Soul Asylum Tribute practically rehearsing alone, but very happy . 'm trying to make a little bohemian side and getting healthier , more enjoying my family , my dog ​​Bowie and skateboarding . 'm also studying new viola ( instrument is a 10 strings would be closer to the country music / American folk ) , very well represented here by an idol I had the pleasure of meeting too, he calls Almir Sater . About Soul Asylum , every day I hear more and my love for this band only increases , it really is one of my biggest inspirations in life , and always will be . a great 2014 to all . hugs and kisses . Lirinha \ o /

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

Christmas is always too busy for me between work and family/fun commitments. I work at a dog grooming shop and it's the busiest time of year for us. But then the shop is closed the week between Christmas and New Year's, so that's always nice.

Getting to see four SA shows and one of Dave's solo shows were huge highlights for 2013 for sure. Can't wait until they announce their spring dates and hope there's some close enough that we can go :) Dave's solo show was especially a highlight, just such a great night! I made some new SA friends this year at shows. On FB when I go to SA's page I think I now have 6 friends who like them instead of none, so that's kinda nice.

Other than SA, we like The Clarks and got to quite a few of their shows this year but not as many as usual. And a few of their acoustic shows, one was on my birthday (and I almost never do anything for my birthday because it's close to Christmas) so that was especially cool. I don't think we saw anyone else this year, expect some local bands. We like to make concert videos of the shows we go to and hit 100 videos on our Youtube channel this year. Crazy!

Other than going to concerts, I train and show dogs and am always busy with that. I do conformation (like what you see on TV on Thanksgiving), agility and now, Flyball so there's always events coming up. I went to fewer this past year though because I really wanted to catch as many SA shows I could and dog shows get expensive :/ I started teaching Flyball once a week in 2013 and it's been a lot of fun! I teach agility too and have for years and do some behavior counseling too. So 2013 was dogs, dogs, dogs...somethings never change...

I'm always trying to do more art but have a hard time having the self discipline to do it. There's a big art show at our huge county fair and I got some ribbons for a collage...that I made the day before it was due :O I guess I need deadlines!