Delayed Reaction best buy bonus tracks

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
seventieslord
Stranger

Delayed Reaction best buy bonus tracks

Post by seventieslord »

I shelled out for the bonus track version of this album once I realized it existed last week, and now that it's arrived, I find track 14, "Good Morning Good Morning" to be really scratchy. It does it on my stereo, on my PC, and if I rip an mp3 it sounds the same. I would say it's faulty for sure, except that the scratches all seem to go to the beat of the music. So it may be intentional. But personally I think it sounds like crap. Is this normal? Surely a lot of you have this edition and confirm whether your version is scratchy. None of the other bonus tracks sound like this.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Re: Delayed Reaction best buy bonus tracks

Post by Yaz McBoo »

<<< But personally I think it sounds like crap.>>>

Nothing wrong with the sound, that's the song itself. Easily the worst thing they've ever recorded!!

seventieslord
Stranger

Post by seventieslord »

Perhaps. But are the scratches part of the recording? Or is my disc faulty?

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

You're not alone, all Best Buy copies of the disc are that way, something went wrong with the production when they just threw that song on there.

Actually the clipping/popping is not supposed to be there, I even made mention of it on the song's page on the site. The album in which it was originally released on doesn't contain the clipping (unless it was accidentally omitted).

In my opinion, this song with the constant popping just makes one of their crappiest recorded songs (although a cover) even crappier.

If you want a copy without the clipping I can gladly send it to you. :P
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

seventieslord
Stranger

Post by seventieslord »

Monolith Maniac wrote:You're not alone, all Best Buy copies of the disc are that way, something went wrong with the production when they just threw that song on there.

Actually the clipping/popping is not supposed to be there, I even made mention of it on the song's page on the site. The album in which it was originally released on doesn't contain the clipping (unless it was accidentally omitted).

In my opinion, this song with the constant popping just makes one of their crappiest recorded songs (although a cover) even crappier.

That would be wonderful!

And yeah, I should have checked the song page...

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

seventieslord wrote:
Monolith Maniac wrote:You're not alone, all Best Buy copies of the disc are that way, something went wrong with the production when they just threw that song on there.

That would be wonderful!

And yeah, I should have checked the song page...
Sent; check your inbox with the email you signed up with. :)

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

I thought it was supposed to sound that way. I think it would be consistant with Soul Asylum's sense of humor to intentionally make it sound like an old recording. I have some old recordings from that era that really do sound like an unexaggerated version of it sound-wise. Also, the ad-libs at the end are pretty funny too if you listen carefully so I guess I just thought there was supposed to be a dose of SA humor in the whole thing.

Matthew
Caged Rat

Post by Matthew »

:mrgreen: I think it is actually cheaper w/bonus tracks than regular one at Best Buy.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

OneLovedBand wrote:I thought it was supposed to sound that way. I think it would be consistant with Soul Asylum's sense of humor to intentionally make it sound like an old recording. I have some old recordings from that era that really do sound like an unexaggerated version of it sound-wise.
Yeah, I could see them actually doing it intentionally with their sense of humor, but the whole thing was made for a Beatles compilation featuring artists from Minnesota, so I think it was more of a "serious" thing.
OneLovedBand wrote:Also, the ad-libs at the end are pretty funny too if you listen carefully so I guess I just thought there was supposed to be a dose of SA humor in the whole thing.
Another funny Beatles ad-lib related to Soul Asylum is in Put the Bone In... at the end Dan says:

I'd like to thank the group... on behalf of ourselves. I'm sure we flunked the audition.

At the end of The Beatles song "Get Back" John Lennon says:

Thanks, Mo [Ringo Starr's wife Maureen]… on behalf of the group I hope we passed the audition

Kind of reminds me of the back of the Clam Dip cover. :P