What is your favorite song on Grave Dancers Union?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on Grave Dancers Union?

Somebody To Shove
14%
Black Gold
3%
Runaway Train
15%
Keep It Up
3%
Homesick
7%
Get On Out
2%
New World
2%
April Fool
8%
Without A Trace
31%
Growing Into You
3%
99%
7%
The Sun Maid
5%

Total votes: 59

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

This was a tough one for me since I like all of the songs on this album, but Get on Out is one of those songs that, no matter how many times I've heard it or what mood I'm in, I never skip over.

whileyouwereout
O'Jeezer

Post by whileyouwereout »

For me it's a close race between 99% and Get On Out - if I could vote for two these would be the ones. I went with 99% since it was my first favorite song on this album...I love the changes within, and it definitely takes me back to early SA. So raw and rockin'! :D
There's men without gods and gods without men and a spirit of which none of them can transcend...

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Although; there are only 17 votes, I am really surprised that black gold, keep it up and April Fool haven't received any votes as they are all great songs.

Now that I think about it; this is a great cd. I just don't listen to it that much since my wife keeps it in her suv because this is my daughter's and son's favorite cd.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Please let up on Runaway Train. Overexposure may have nearly killed it for most of you, but it's still a great song.

I didn't really connect with RT this first time around. Then, this summer when I was at a low point, RT came on the radio. My first thought was "Yes, that's exactly the way I feel." My second thought was "God, I used to love Soul Asylum." So I dragged out my old CDs. Then I found The Silver Lining (liked it) and Faces & Names (loved it right from the start). Now I'm making my way through the back catalog. I rediscovered SA because of RT.

That said, The Sun Maid remains my favorite song from GDU.

99% is a close second. What a great, albeit unconventional, love song. 99%:1% is an amazing ratio of love you:can't stand the sight of you in a relationship, even if the song is really about that pesky 1%.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Sandrine
Marionette

Post by Sandrine »

Without a trace . :D It's just a brilliant song all around.

Homesick would be a close second, I absolutely love the lyrics.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

I have come around on runaway train; like it much better now than when it first came out. I remember seeing Dave and Dan doing acoustic shows in the early 90's and playing this song.

Crazy little women; I am just glad to hear you heard Soul Asylum on the radio. I don't know where you live or if you have xm or sirrus or hd radio; but I live in Minneapolis and you can't hear a Soul Asylum song on the radio to save your life. There is no such thing as a good radio station in the Twin Cities.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

I had to pick RT because of the kids I work with. Some do run, some are neglected and abused, most have secrets and issues, all have damage of some kind. I love several of the other songs, including Black Gold and Somebody to Shove, but RT still makes me cry.

Peace,
Carol

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

"Somebody to Shove" is one of the catchiest songs ever, and definitely one of my favorite live songs. And "Black Gold" is a great song, too; I particularly like its tonal shifts. But "Without a Trace" is absolutely brilliant -- another one of those SA songs that I feel falls into that masterpiece-of-songwriting category.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Sometime to Return: I live in Kansas City, MO. I heard RT ONCE on an alternative radio station that I found accidentally when I had to reset the presets on my car radio.

A few months ago I heard "Somebody to Shove" ONCE on the same station when they were doing some show where people e-mail them lists of five songs they want to hear. So, it was the request of someone else in KC. Still, it made me happy when I heard it.

There are no really good radio stations in KC, either.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote: There are no really good radio stations in KC, either.
I'm pretty sure the problem is pretty widespread, and there are few good radio stations anywhere. There are a few remaining college stations, and a couple holdovers, but by and large, FM radio is dieing, and fast. The stations tend to be either top 40 (mostly R&B/rap), nashville country, or classic rock. While I don't mind the classic rock ones, I don't see much point in listening to the radio to only hear bands you already know.

In general the radio has seen a huge decline in recent years, between the major media consolidation (thanks clearchannel), combined with the growth of the internet, and the alternative channels that are now available to hear music.

The radio has become rather pathetic, and tends to only play the most popular of music, which means no SA. However, I don't know how bad of a thing this is. SA isn't going to gain marketshare through the traditional radio market. The true music lovers that are out there have in general given up on the radio. New music is increasingly finding its way around through word of mouth (such as this board), online (myspace, etc), and more "alternative" radio formats (XM radio, etc).

I haven't listened to the radio in years, and can't say I miss it. Today I find out about more bands than I ever did in the past, and get to listen to the music I choose to listen to.

Phil