Favorite Drummer

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

Who is/was your favorite Soul Asylum Drummer?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:32 am

Pat Morley
No votes
Grant Young
29%
Sterling Campbell
18%
Ian Mussington
6%
Michael Bland
47%

Total votes: 17

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Favorite Drummer

Post by philipgar »

I figured I'd play with this poll thing, here goes nothing.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I'm sure you can tell who I voted for. :)

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I have to say I don't know too much about Soul Asylum's drummers, but I've always gotten a good impression of Sterling, so he gets my vote.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Grant Young wasn't by far the best drummer, but I voted for him cause of the way it ended with him.
And because he drummed for the longest period of time.

matrok
Runaway

Post by matrok »

I voted for Michael. He plays with an energy that can't be beat.

tditz_gb
Marionette

Post by tditz_gb »

I'll always be a Grant Young fan. Although he was not the original drummer he was the one who conquered the world with his friends Dave, Dan and Karl. Since he's been gone, there has been a gap that feels impossible to fill. No offense to any of his replacements but each of them has seemed to me like a guy who is just doing his job back there. The way I see it, there is more to being a member of Soul Asylum than showing up for the gig.

cujofats
O'Jeezer

Post by cujofats »

I really liked Grant Young a lot. I never knew exactly why he got the axe. Sterling Campbell struck me as a guy who was just going through the motions. I know he is a respected studio musician and all, I think he plays with Bowie these days, but I never thought he had that extra something. Michael Bland, in my opinion, is by far the best drummer Soul Asylum has ever had. I think he fits in with the band perfectly. Every time I have seen them recently he has played with real passion.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

cujofats wrote:I really liked Grant Young a lot. I never knew exactly why he got the axe. Sterling Campbell struck me as a guy who was just going through the motions. I know he is a respected studio musician and all, I think he plays with Bowie these days, but I never thought he had that extra something. Michael Bland, in my opinion, is by far the best drummer Soul Asylum has ever had. I think he fits in with the band perfectly. Every time I have seen them recently he has played with real passion.
I agree, seeing Michael Bland play the drums is in itself an experience. While I don't know (and don't really want to know) all the details of Grant leaving the band, his drumming never impressed me that much. Of course, I never did see them live back then, so I don't have the Tim perspective on it.

I never saw them with Sterling either, but, while he was a solid drummer, he never seemed to be a part of the band. He was a studio drummer, and could keep his time, but wasn't necessarily the guy for the band. I don't even know if he even knew much of the bands back catalog, beyond the few songs they played during that time period.

I do miss seeing Ian play at times. Ian was a great guy, and really fit in with the rest of the band. He also took an active interest in the band. I remember him telling me about listening to the back catalog, and just feeling like he was part of something special.

Michael Bland is another story altogether. I don't really know him, but I've now seen him play with the band a bunch, and it is amazing. Michael Bland just fits in, and he knows exactly what he's doing. I don't really think you can get a better drummer to play with the guys. It just fits in perfectly (I could see a fight breaking out if SA ever decides to tour at the same time as Paul....). I can't attest for his relationship with the rest of the band, and I know it can't be the same as it had to be with grant when they were driving across the country in a tour van playing 200 shows a year. That's just an understood, as the guys are older and at a different point in their career. I do think he fits in well though, and seems to get along great with the rest of the guys.

Phil

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

You could solve the problem by having SA and Paul tour together, and Bland doing double duty.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

is the poll over? I don't see where I can vote :?