What is your favorite song on Let Your Dim Light Shine?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on Let Your Dim Light Shine?

Misery
18%
Shut Down
No votes
To My Own Devices
2%
Hopes Up
7%
Promises Broken
17%
Bittersweetheart
8%
String of Pearls
10%
Crawl
2%
Caged Rat
2%
Eyes of A Child
3%
Just Like Anyone
10%
Tell Me When
3%
Nothing To Write Home About
3%
I Did My Best
15%

Total votes: 60

edabbiati
Stranger

Re: What is your favorite song on Let Your Dim Light Shine?

Post by edabbiati »

I think the flow of this record is perfect...each song complements the next one (or previous one) perfectly.

Tough to pull one out of that flow... I Did my best is such a glorious ending that it gets my vote...but this was a tough one to pick!

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Hi, guys!
I just wanted to share something with you! Yesterday, me and my mom were watching that TV show - October Road, I don't know when was this released in the US, but over here we're watching it now. So, we were watching it, and in one scene (bowling alley) they were playing Misery!! Ha! I was really shocked, and I played that scene over and over again!

Just one question - is there a thread here, with things like these, where we can talk about unespected encounters with the SA music in unexpected places?

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

spodiba wrote:Just one question - is there a thread here, with things like these, where we can talk about unespected encounters with the SA music in unexpected places?
There is one that evolved into talking about various encounters on TV but I don't believe that we have a dedicated one for other unexpected places which would probably be best for all references; feel free to make one.

I can add 3 more off the top of my head though that weren't mentioned in that article:

Misery: Played on the radio in the Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee sex tape.

Runaway Train: The show bumpers that introduced me to Soul Asylum on AL TV back in 1996. (I can't believe I posted that over 2 years ago already!)

Referenced in an Episode of The Office where Steve Carell's character sings the first line of the chorus to himself while sitting on a boxcar.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

I love the rockers Misery, Bittersweetheart, and Just Like Anyone, and wanted to select Misery right off the bat, but after thinking a few min, I decided to go with the quietly beautiful, inimate, & personal I Did My Best as my "favorite" on the CD.

This one was tough. I had to do some hard thinking about what "favorite" really means to me. On this CD, Dave's intense introspective writing style won out over his wry quirky pokes at interpersonal relationships (his anti-love songs).It's funny that although Dave claims he never writes love songs, I think many of his songs could be considered "real" relationship songs. It's very true that Dave doesn't write the usual sappy/gushy songs everyone else writes that only focus on those parts of the relationship, but instead he tends to dig much deeper and paint a picture of the quirky and endearing imperfections that real relationships are made of and triumph over, even often celebrate.

dells

jhonsadins
Lone Rider

Post by jhonsadins »

My favorite songs are:

1.Promises Broke
2.String of Pearls
3.To My Own Devices
4.Just Like Anyone
5.I Did My Best

Bono
Marionette

Post by Bono »

I Did My Best is my favorite song on the album. It might actually be my favorite Soul Asylum song. That or By the Way.
Never, forever, whatever!