What is your favorite song on Let Your Dim Light Shine?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on Let Your Dim Light Shine?

Misery
18%
Shut Down
No votes
To My Own Devices
2%
Hopes Up
7%
Promises Broken
17%
Bittersweetheart
8%
String of Pearls
10%
Crawl
2%
Caged Rat
2%
Eyes of A Child
3%
Just Like Anyone
10%
Tell Me When
3%
Nothing To Write Home About
3%
I Did My Best
15%

Total votes: 60

agirlcalledkill
Stranger

Re: What is your favorite song on Let Your Dim Light Shine?

Post by agirlcalledkill »

Well, I LOVE "Just Like Anyone" is one of my favourites... :mrgreen:
The video's nice too :D
"There's nothing wrong with being a loser...
It just depends on how good you are at it!!!!"

Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

I picked Bittersweetheart for the same reason I'll be picking Cartoon; the song absolutely knocks you out live. I love to sing along with this album.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: Re:

Post by Monolith Maniac »

lune ellise wrote:By the way, can anybody tell me where SA got that riff in Bittersweetheart? 03:12 onwards (or that riff right after the end of the lyrics, and the song is fading to end)
I've heard that riff somewhere else too before, but can't put my finger on it. I'm sure its a non SA song I'm thinking of, but Motel Notell sounds very similar in terms of arrangement and rhythm during the end of Bittersweetheart.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Re: Re:

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
lune ellise wrote:By the way, can anybody tell me where SA got that riff in Bittersweetheart? 03:12 onwards (or that riff right after the end of the lyrics, and the song is fading to end)
I've heard that riff somewhere else too before, but can't put my finger on it. I'm sure its a non SA song I'm thinking of, but Motel Notell sounds very similar in terms of arrangement and rhythm during the end of Bittersweetheart.
Not sure where that riff is from, but I once read a review that made a snotty reference to the song as "the bewildering Tom Petty clone, 'Bittersweetheart'." Haven't listened to enough Tom Petty (beyond the '80s radio singles) to recognize if that's the source of the riff or even really what the reviewer meant by the comment. Does that help?
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

jasonC
Caged Rat

Post by jasonC »

This was my first Soul Asylum record too, bought in the summer of 95' back when I was 14, God those were good times. I loved it from the very start and today it is still one of my favorite records. I guess for favorite song Id have to go with Misery because it just blew me away from the first listen. I Did My Best would be a close second though, such a great song.

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

Oh that`s a bad question! And only one option ..... :oops:
I like all songs on this album. That`s very hard.
I`ve clicked for "String of pearls" because I`m listing it this time very much.
But if I could have more options I would click for "Misery", "Promises Broken" and "Just like anyone" too.
Many Greetings from Germany
yours Cordelia

foureyedsometimes
Runaway

Post by foureyedsometimes »

This is a hard one for me, I'd been bitterly disappointed with Grave Dancer's as it sounded like a complete sell out to me, and when I bought this (actually had a pre release cassette of it) it sounded to be more of the same. Played it once and thought it was crap, but strangely I went back to it a few days later...eventually I ended up liking it. Now I'm not saying it's my favourite SA LP by any means, but of the later albums (GDU onwards) it's head and shoulders above the others.
I voted for Bittersweetheart, as it rocks out, but I love Misery and Caged Rat too. I've got to say that I think String of Pearls is absolute rubbish though. Sorry. It's a misunderstood album, but the production and playing are both excellent, though I miss Grant's drumming style here.
I think they played Glastonbury after this came out (?) and the songs that they played of it sounded great on that hot summer's afternoon.
Can't put a square peg in a hole that's round.....

samtheslug
Runaway

Post by samtheslug »

Im not a big fan of this album, But my favourite song has to be Misery.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

I voted ages ago for Misery which was the only song I'd heard at the time but loved from the first time I heard it. After I finally bought the album and listened to the whole thing, I found several gems that I absolutely loved (among them String of Pearls, Bittersweetheart, I Did My Best, To My Own Devices, Just Like Anyone) that I would have picked over my vote easily. I really couldn't tell you which one I'd go with. I still don't know. :P

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i narrowed it down to my top 2 easily, but i ended up voting for promises broken over bittersweatheart. i'm more likely to hit the back button and replay it after just listening to it.