"What if" scenario about The Silver Lining

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
sayeeda
Social Butterfly

"What if" scenario about The Silver Lining

Post by sayeeda »

Having read the variety of opinions on here regarding "Stand" as a single and song, I'm curious about what your stance would be regarding the following "what if" scenario.

If SA had released a second single of TSL, what do you think it should have been? Along with that, what track, or tracks, would have generated the greatest radioplay (commercially strongest)? Also, which one(s) is(are) the strongest, artistically speaking?

I couldn't decide on one, though I would lean toward a few more than others, but would like to hear from you first. :wink:

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

"Oxygen" has single written all over it and I think it could definitely done well in terms of radio play.

I think "Lately," "Crazy Mixed Up World," and "Whatcha Need" would have been good, too.

Actually, I think the songs should have been released in the following order: Oxygen/Crazy Mixed Up World/Lately/Whatcha Need.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I think that several songs on the Silver Lining are growers and that they wouldn't be the best songs for singles cause of that, so I would go for the more catchy songs like "Lately" and "All Is Well". Especially "Lately". That's a strong song.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

1. Oxygen - Great lyrics, awesome beat, definite single/radio material.

2. Standing Water - I think it would have been a great tune to have been heard on the radio, especially coming out less than a year after Hurricane Katrina (though the song was written before).

3. Lately - Another great radio song. I'm sure there would be many people debating over their opinion on what the lyrics are really about (sort of like debating Black Gold).
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

I read/ heard somewhere where "lately" received some airplay; I think it was on sirrus or xm, something like that.

I agree that "Oxygen" and "Standing Water" could have been released as singles. If I break down the cd in chunks; the strength of the album for is the back to back songs of "standing" and "success," along with "Oxygen" as my 3 favorite songs on the cd.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

I agree with Miss Fitt 2. "All is Well" would also be good radio material.

Why isn't "Lately" getting radio play? It has a lively, upbeat tune, catchy lyrics and delivers a timely message without getting preachy. We're in the middle of an election cycle in which a major issue is when and how to bring the troops home from Iraq -- and most polls show that most Americans want to bring the troops home. "Lately" would seem to be the right song at the right time. We should be hearing it everywhere.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

Hey, I've been asking myself that very same question. I even played it for a friend of mine whose son just joined the Marines. The message is appropriate and timely, usually a perfect marriage for airplay. I don't understand why I don't hear it...

Peace,
Carol