mint condition soul asylum digitalized vinyl up for grab

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
vinylMann35
Stranger

mint condition soul asylum digitalized vinyl up for grab

Post by vinylMann35 »

I have let your dim light shine and candy from a stranger that I got for Christmas both unopened in pristine condition. I converted them to digital on a 32 bit float at 82,000 kHz. It sounds amazing if anyone wants a copy of the file I'll be more than happy to email it to you. All you need is audacity (a free open source audio editor program) to open it up and listen to it from there you can compress it to a high quality file for itunes or leave it as is. Email me at notnickparkin@gmail.com if you want it. One album is around .95 gigabytes for both sides so I might have to send multiple files.

vinylMann35
Stranger

Re: mint condition soul asylum digitalized vinyl up for grab

Post by vinylMann35 »

A picture of the records with my username

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

I dont understand .. And im not being rude or sarcastic, I have never heard of this and truly want to understand.

So you now have a Recording of a Vinyl that was made from the same recording that the CD Digital Version was made from. Am i right, I mean there is a master recording and they used that to make both the vinyl and the digital CD. Why is the Recording of the Vinyl better?

This was made in 94ish, how was the original recorded? Analog Tape?

So in reading, the CD was made from the analog recording at 16 bit, so there is loss from the original analog tape recording. you recorded in 32, so its twice the quality. Does it (your recording 32 bit) sound better than the Record player playing it?

So like an MP3 is a 16bit compressed into a smaller file, so just like an CD (wav 16 bit sounds) sounds better than an MP3, your 32 bit recording sounds better than a standard 16 bit CD?

How do you record that?

vinylMann35
Stranger

Post by vinylMann35 »

I've extensively compared the sound of vinyl to MP3 and it sounds far better. It sounds fuller, more defined, more detailed, and more natural like the instruments are actually there. I've also noticed some extensive detail in Davis voice as well as the acoustic guitars. Also vinyls sound warmer and more upbeat. I don't know what the master studio track was recorded in, probably a very very very high quality digital format but when I compared the vinyls to the apple version it sounded far better. It's just something you have to listen to for yourself. I recorded it on a 32 bit float at 82,000 kHz so whenever I played it it would sound like I was playing it off my vinyl record player. Even dave himself said in an interview that vinyl really does sound better than MP3. I haven't taken much interests in comparing the cd version but I know that CDs do sound a little nicer than MP3. All in all, vinyls do sound sooo much better than MP3 and CDs im sure. It's just something you have to listen to for yourself. You just have to have a decent stereo. It sounds amazing on my $400 Polk audio stereo so as long as you have anything as good or better than that you should be able to hear a big difference in sound quality. When I get home later I will try to post the high quality version of "creatures of habit" on here so you guys can sample the amazing sound quality. Like I said you just have to have audacity to open it up.

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

How big is the File? It cant be put onto a CD? Do you have it broken down to each song? CD holds 700MB right? Will audacity let me burn it to CD?

vinylMann35
Stranger

Post by vinylMann35 »

one Album is around ,95 gigs but you could compress it slightly to still retain the Sound quality. I can post it through here because the file type is not supported by this website. Do you know how I could give it to you? It might be too big for email .

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

I guess I'm not understanding the purpose either.

You said you compared this to mp3s; and I have no doubt a high quality vinyl conversion in a lossless format is going to be better quality than an mp3.

However, did you compare your conversion to a CD? CDs have much higher fidelity than an mp3.

I would have assumed that the 'master tapes' which everything is created from is digital, [Even if the multi-track tape is Analog; I would have assumed it was mixed down to DAT for duplication]. I could be wrong, but it is what I always assumed.

I'll also add that distributing something like certainly falls into a legal grey area...

vinylMann35
Stranger

Post by vinylMann35 »

I haven't actually compared it to cd. I compared my mint condition delayed reaction vinyl to the delayed reaction CD and it did sound better. Also I forgot to think about the fact that it would probably be illegal to distribute it. Even though everyone who would get it would probably already have the album.

triumph3434
Social Butterfly

Post by triumph3434 »

I think if you ahve the album you are alowed to have copies of it ... something like that anyways. 95GB for a song is Crazy big... Ill look into audacity, id like to hear it but I just dont have the time right now, my life is kinda wild..

vinylMann35
Stranger

Post by vinylMann35 »

No no no, it's 0.95 gigabytes per album. Not 95 gigs per song that would be ridiculous