Soul Asylum/Replacements/Husker Du

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
jasonC
Caged Rat

Soul Asylum/Replacements/Husker Du

Post by jasonC »

Soul Asylum deserves way more credit. I think they are by far the best band of the 3, but for some reason the know it all, holier than thou hipsters never seem to include them in the conversation when talking about the Minneapolis scene. Why is that? Because they had some success? So what, they sure as hell deserved it after busting their ass for so long.
I was glad to find this article.

http://blog.thecurrent.org/2015/03/arti ... ul-asylum/

Matthew
Caged Rat

Re: Soul Asylum/Replacements/Husker Du

Post by Matthew »

by far..I'm not going to compare..but I like the topic. sorry, in mn?
Last edited by Matthew on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:24 am, edited 9 times in total.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

Whenever I hear PBR drinking morons reference Husker Du and the 'mats, I just wanna wrap my hands around their throat and yell, "AND SOUL ASYLUM!"

One thing I hated about the movie Adventureland was the scene where the Kristen Stewart character was looking at the Jesse Eisenberg character's record collection and was like, "Wow, you got the Replacements and Husker Du?"

I could totally buy it if it was supposed to be 2009 and he was a millennial hipster twat, but the movie takes place in the fucking '80s. If it was the 1980's and he had the mats and Husker Du, he would've had Soul Asylum. It just goes to show what kind of morons wrote that movie and what sort of morons they were catering it to. God.

Oh well... more Soul Asylum for us genuinely cool people. And I can honestly say that I've never gotten into Husker Du. Nothing against them; their music just doesn't appeal to me.

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

As a music lover in general I have respect for Hüsker Dü & The Replacements and I can see why people like them; I just like Soul Asylum better. I don't know, maybe it's a chemistry thing, I really connect with Dave's songwriting. I think the three bands sound similar at times, but I don't feel like the others really reach into my soul and pull out what's in there like SA does.

I liked the article...thanks for sharing! I put the link on Twitter too.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Well, my Minneapolis top 3 are Soul Asylum, Jayhawks, and Replacements, with a little Golden Smog thrown in. I never got into Husker Du, but I like some of Bob Mould's solo and Sugar work.

jasonC
Caged Rat

Post by jasonC »

I like The Replacements all right but Soul Asylum just has better songs as far as I'm concerned. I never really heard anything from Husker Du that made me want to go buy one of their records. It just kills me how The Replacements and Husker Du have all this indie cred nowadays and Soul Asylum are left out of the conversation by these "hipsters" I can only guess because they sold a few million albums in the 90's. Well guess what? Those records were pretty fucking good.

foureyedsometimes
Runaway

Post by foureyedsometimes »

It's definitely to do with hipster status. Soul Asylum sold millions at one point and didn't split up. Huskers and Mats status just got bigger and bigger as they were never around to sully their reputation.
All my mates liked all three, but SA were the best for most of us. I would blame Runaway Train, that was the turning point.
Can't put a square peg in a hole that's round.....