Any Dan sightings?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Re: Any Dan sightings?

Post by EasyStreet »

TravisSaves wrote:I often think about how incredible it would be if he released a solo acoustic album of all the songs he wrote for Soul Asylum that weren't used!
wouldn't that be sweet! You would think he's got a few songs stashed away somewhere....

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:He made a brief appearance at a Jayhawks show last year, for the Golden Smog song "Until You Came Along." Wish I could have seen that show.
Yes he came up for 1 song, somewhere in the encore set, at a semi recent Jayhawks show at First Ave. Last Sept wasn't it ??

Outside of that, I've seen him at one other show in town, in the audience watching the show. It was RWR show and the same weekend as the Kyle Johnson's funeral. I bet a bunch of people had to be in town for that....

Other than that, I got nothing else
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.

EyeSeeYou
Caged Rat

Post by EyeSeeYou »

Has there ever been an interview with either Dave or Dan explaining the latter one's exit from the band? Dan was quoted stating he was fed up with the music industry and that was the reason he quit the band and music in general.

What aspects of the music biz was he upset about? Are they on good terms? What does Dan do now?

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

I believe that Dan Murphy still has his pin-up business, Grapefruit Moon. They sell artwork of pin-ups. I think there was an article in the Star Tribune about Dan leaving Soul Asylum back in 2012.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I believe he also participated in a Tom Petty tribute show in the Twin Cities recently; on Facebook there was a post of him practicing a Petty song.

I think he also goes to San Diego Comic-Con.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

EyeSeeYou wrote:Has there ever been an interview with either Dave or Dan explaining the latter one's exit from the band? Dan was quoted stating he was fed up with the music industry and that was the reason he quit the band and music in general.

What aspects of the music biz was he upset about? Are they on good terms? What does Dan do now?
Didn't Dan write a message for this website? He explained why he was leaving the band. That thread is probably still around. I've listened to a few interviews where Dave was asked about Dan and he seemed uncomfortable and didn't say much about it. But it's in typical SA fashion that not a lot is being communicated towards the fans.