Got questions for the band? - Now's your chance to ask!

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Got questions for the band? - Now's your chance to ask!

Post by Monolith Maniac »

In conjunction with PledgeMusic and the upcoming release of Soul Asylum's new album, Pledge Music's senior campaign manager had asked if I could put together a question and answer thread in the forum.

In this thread please feel free to post your questions that you would like to ask the band, whether it may be about the new album or something pertaining to the band's history, present, and future.

Unfortunately not all questions will be answered, only those thought to be the most interesting and informative will be selected.

Again, if you ever wanted to ask a question to Dave and/or one of the guys in the band and have it answered, now's your chance!
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lampros
Caged Rat

Re: Got questions for the band? - Now's your chance to ask!

Post by lampros »

That's cool!
Questions proposed from me:
1) Why the band does not come to Europe?
2) Why the band has not released a ''classic'' love ballad? (like ''Cryin''' by Aerosmith, ''Always'' by Bon Jovi etc)

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

lampros wrote:That's cool!
Questions proposed from me:
1) Why the band does not come to Europe?
2) Why the band has not released a ''classic'' love ballad? (like ''Cryin''' by Aerosmith, ''Always'' by Bon Jovi etc)
I don't want to answer your question, but I think it's hard for a band like SA to go to Europe and play shows... they only had real succes in Europe for a few years and then when you start neglecting your European fans for twenty years you can imagine not having a large fanbase anymore. Even in their home country they have to rely on sharing the bill with other bands in order to do a proper tour nowadays, so imagine how hard it must be at a continent where they haven't been in two decades (except for two shows at a festival, both in Spain). Just to come over for a few gigs will be hard to pull off financially, especially when you can expect not to sell a lot of tickets (and that's putting it mildly). But of course I also hope they do come here for the new record this time around.

So I quess my question is sorta the same... @ Soul Asylum; you said you were going to make up for those cancelled gigs in London and Brussels from 2011. It's been 4 years and still no word... when can we expect them? ; )

Matthew
Caged Rat

Post by Matthew »

don't read into it, but what are your goals?
and,
i believe AlyssaJones has been a fan longer than i have. sorry.
you are famous:
p.s. please post the 10k show

lampros
Caged Rat

Post by lampros »

Dear Closer,

I understand your position. On the other hand, I am sure there are a lot of festivals around Europe,
especially during summer, like the spanish one. Possibly these represent a lower financial risk. From
my point of view a release of a new album is an opportunity for a manager to contact festivals and
maybe succeed a booking. I would also increase my clients' CD sales!!!

Additionally, a manager could find a domestic successful artist who would be eager to give a LIVE together
with SA. For example: Why it would be so impossible to see a LIVE with ''WITHIN TEMPTATION'' and SA
in Amsterdam? David did a nice duet with them. I guess they have a relationship of mutual estimation.

I do not expect 10 shows in Europe! I expect one!

If I was a singer/band, I would accept a financial risk, even a damage, in order to do a concert for my
long-distance fans in Europe after years.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

lampros, festivals book bands that draw crowds and are popular, it's all about the money, and unfortunately for us most people have never heard of Soul Asylum, or only know Runaway Train. And that's in 99 out of 100 cases not enough for them to get booked for a festival... at least not here. I think the reason those gigs in London and Brussels got cancelled was not enough ticket being sold, so as I said... it's just not that easy. To be playing with another band as you suggested only works in some situations. Doing a show with a metal/goth band just because Dave did a song with them is a longshot... two very different bands, and most of their fanbase have never even heard of Soul Asylum... it wouldn't make sense from a marketing point of view. About accepting a financial risk... I don't think that a band that is asking fans for money and financial support in order to release an album is able to take any kind of financial risk, sorry to break it to you.
I understand what you're saying... I've been a fan since 1993 and I've never seen them live because they stopped playing anywhere near me since 1995. I had a ticket for the Brussels gig but then they cancelled, which was really shitty because it couldn't have been more last minute. But on their facebook there has been some ''Europe'' mention from them, so who knows... maybe this year (or next)

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

to Dave: one of my favorite artist is Vic Chesnutt have you ever thought of recording another of Vic's songs if so which one would it be? you did such a good job with I WHEN I RAN OFF AND LEFT HER. to Michael: who was or is your favorite drummer? to Winston: what is your favorite Soul Asylum song that never gets played live? to Justin: What's your favorite Dave Pirner lyric?
Last edited by EL DANGEROSO on Fri May 29, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lirinha
Runaway

Post by lirinha »

I would say to Dave Pirner he is my idol and my inspiration for life.
I was fortunate to see them live here in São Paulo / Brazil, in 1994.
I wonder if there is a possibility of them come back here, or South America. If so, it would be a great honor for me to have the opportunity to play guitar on a song with them. I'm dreaming too high? Thank you.
Lirinha Morini

lampros
Caged Rat

Post by lampros »

About giving title to a new CD:
How do you choose the title?
I have noticed, from past CDs, that some times the title is a part of the lyrics
of a song (but not the same title with the song's title which contains the final CD
''title'')

And a couple of other questions:
1) Do you have influences from artists outside USA?

2) Would you adapt (I am not sure if i use the correct word, but I hope you understand
the question) and make a cover of a rock song, which is not written in English?

3) Would you compose a song based on poetry? If yes, whom poet would you choose?

PS: Dear Closer, thanks for your comments (I agree)! Hope dies last!!!

mgsant01
Stranger

Post by mgsant01 »

Hi there--

Very cool they're taking select questions from their fans!

My first question is for the band...which song are you lending to Kevin Smith for his upcoming film, CLERKS III?

My second question is for Dave...just like for the bad WIHTIN TEMPTATION, do you get offered to appear on songs often? What makes you want to get involved in helping out other bands?

My third question is for the band...since Dan's departure, is Soul Asylum's iconic sound shifting? And how so?

Thanks, guys!

mike