Got questions for the band? - Now's your chance to ask!

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
28th&Bryant
Brand New Shine

Re: Got questions for the band? - Now's your chance to ask!

Post by 28th&Bryant »

I'm new here, this is my first post...I've been a loooong time fan of the band, since the mid 80s - Im definitely one of those people who feels the band never got the respect they deserved, particularly prior to GDU and prefer pretty much everything pre GDU to most of that which came afterward, though I am very much enjoying the new album.

In any event, enough about me - here is my question:

I am curious about whether those in the band feel that if the two albums on A&M prior to Grave Dancer's Union had received the sort of production and promotion that GDU got if they would have broken the way that GDU did, or at least would have been much, much more successful from a sales standpoint?

(because from a musical/artistic standpoint I feel they are triumphs - those albums are fantastic, as is all off SA's stuff, but I truly feel that neither of them were promoted enough - particularly Horse They Rode In On - I don't know WTF A&M were thinking, the songs on that album are fucking perfect - it appealed to the underground, what was referred to as college rock at the time; and in my opinion wouldve crossed over easily into mainstream radio etc....

For that matter I would love to hear what "While You Were Out" would sound like with better production...

Anyways, thanks for the music and taking these questions -

-Jeremy

swendo
Runaway

Post by swendo »

What are your expectations for this album, and how do those compare to the ones you had for Delayed Reaction? Thanks
There's a ringing in my ears that's Heaven-sent

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

I've got one for Dave: If one could remove all external pressures from songwriting (ex. Will people like it? Is is a fit for Soul Asylum? Does is meet artistic standards?) what kind of songs would you like to write? Are you writing songs like that already?

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

does justin write songs? (if that's already known somebody let me know).

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Would you like to do the score for another movie, like you did with Chasing Amy years ago?
Will Freak Accident ever make it to an official cd release?

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote: Will Freak Accident ever make it to an official cd release?
This!

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

Will Freak Accident ever make it to an official cd release?
I'd make this question more generic.

Will there ever be a release of B-Sides / Demos / Rarities...

i think a lot of us here would love the rare songs; but even alternate versions--such as the Bittersweet Demo posted to YouTube--would be awesome.

In today's Digital world, it is pretty easy to do that at little cost. As a parallel, John Davis [of SuperDrag] has a BandCamp page ( https://highbiasacassette-basedoperatio ... dcamp.com/ ) loaded with more goodies than a SuperDrag fan could ever dream of.

Could SA do something similar? Would they?

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

to all members of the band: what is your favorite meat puppet song? second question to all members : excluding members of SA who is your favorite singer or songwriter.
Last edited by EL DANGEROSO on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAfan
Lone Rider

Post by SAfan »

long time lurker of this site (great place to go for information) but first time poster. This topic got me to finally register :) Can't wait for the weekend.... will be seeing them in Cleveland & Pittsburgh!

To Dave: The makeup of the band has changed a lot in the last decade (I believe Michael has been in the band since 2004, Justin & Winston since 2012). How has this changed things for you? It must be a much different group dynamic than it was 15 years ago.

To Dave Again: What are the chances we'll ever see another Dave Pirner solo record? (don't mean to sound like I'm knocking Soul Asylum, I'm not, but Faces & Names was a lot different than anything from Soul Asylum. For me "Different" = "Interesting" and in this case "Interesting" = "Good".

To Michael: Your resume is crazy impressive. You've been all over the map, in terms of artists that you've played with, and different styles of music. What was (is?) it about Soul Asylum that has you in what I believe is the longest running gig of your career?

To The band in general:

Any chance we see shows similar to the GDU tour from last year, but performing another album?

Would you consider adding a keyboard / piano into the shows again? There's a ton of material from the Soul Asylum catalog that would make great use of it (I'm thinking of "Ship of Fools" and "Ain't That Tough" in particular).

Any chance we're going to see a show in the Toronto area sometime soon? Driving over the border isn't that big a deal for me - but hitting up a show where I don't have to bring my passport would be nice :)

As other have also asked in this thread: Any chance of a B-Sides / Rarities type release?? While I did buy a copy, I will admit to being disappointed with "Welcome To The Minority". Thought that would be a perfect place for tracks like 'Waiting Is So Long', "James At 16", "On Way Conversation", "Little House On The Edge", and "Village Idiot".

Can't wait for the new album!

Sean

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Welcome to the site Sean.

Thanks for the great questions, I'll make sure to forward them on to the band.

I agree, that the Welcome to the Minority set was a bit disappointing. I remember when it was about to be released that that is was slated to contain James at 16; it was cut at the last minute (you can see that here). In fact I actually preordered it specifically for that and when it did arrive I was thinking where the hell was it, sure enough going back to the site I preordered it from had it removed from the track listing.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com