Got questions for the band? - Now's your chance to ask!

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
zany
Social Butterfly

Re: Got questions for the band? - Now's your chance to ask!

Post by zany »

welcome sean! glad you finally posted. : )
Love your Michael question and the keyboard question ! (not sure if voting for others questions bumps it up in likeliness to be asked!)

SAfan
Lone Rider

Post by SAfan »

Thanks!

Another couple of questions occurred to me.

For the band in general:

What percentage of the back catalog would you think you could just play on a whim? (For example, if someone at a show made a request, and you were inclined to take requests, what are the chances you're practiced up enough to play it? I would imagine that it's near impossible to be well versed on 150+ different songs, especially when most of them you don't play very often)

I would expect (since he wrote most the material) Dave can probably pull a pretty good version of most anything out of thin air, but I would guess that the rest of the band has likely never played anything besides 'Stranger' from Say What You Will live... and probably very little practicing (of course I'm going with the first record to use the extreme example).

For everyone besides Dave: How much of a challenge is it, joining a band that already has a large catalog of songs, in terms of the pressure to learn a lot of that back material?

I think of some of my all time favorite Soul Asylum songs (Veil of Tears, Nice Guys Don't Get Paid, Be On Your Way, Heavy Rotation, Long Way Home, Ain't That Tough, Freaks, No Man's Land...... I could go on and on) and while I recognize that shows are going to be done mainly with more casual fans in mind (play the biggest hits: Runaway Train, Misery, etc) and also to play new material (which is awesome. Would love to hear more new material more often) I'm holding out hope that a lot of the awesome stuff from the 80s & early 90s can still find a place in set lists.

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:
Will Freak Accident ever make it to an official cd release?
This is my #1 question as well, & is the one that is the most important to me.

Freak Accident gets a LOT of love from most of us here on this site, so we would REALLY love to see it get released officially. I had always wanted to have the original Soul Asylum version of Never Felt Before get on a Soul Asylum CD(actually, BACK onto a CD after it got cut from The Silver Lining & moved over to Dan's Golden Smog CD), but of course that can never happen since Dan left the band, so I hope that I can still dream of Freak Accident getting an official release.

#2) To each band member: What is your favorite song to play live, and why?

#3) To each band member: Is there a particular song from the SA catalogue that never gets played live, that you would like to resurrect & play live again from time to time?

Finally, THANK YOU, for finally embracing & using the internet as a way to provide some interaction with your most dedicated fans!!!

Clydella
dells

Look into your heart before it sees its final hour
Live today like there is no tomorrow
- wise advice from the brilliant Dave Pirner

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Okay, we gotta wrap this up here soon; the guys are gonna be asked some these questions soon. Does anybody have any last minute ones they would like to ask?
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lirinha
Runaway

Post by lirinha »

Yes! Please thank you.
To Dave:
How is your relationship with Dan? Do you keep in touch?
Do you have plans to release another solo album or another project?
If they come to Brazil, I would love to play "Endless Farwell" with you or any other!
For all of the band, including Dave:
Some new band or favorite of yours recently?
Thank you so much.
Big Hug from São Paulo/Brazil
Lirinha Morini o/

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

to all the band, what was your first concert and /or your favorite one?

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Alright, the questions have been sent to the guys at PledgeMusic.

Thanks to everybody who has submitted questions; looking forward to seeing what the band has to say. :D
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com