What is your favorite song on Hang Time?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

Down On Up To Me
No votes
Little Too Clean
6%
Sometime To Return
29%
Cartoon
40%
Beggars and Choosers
4%
Endless Farewell
6%
Standing In the Doorway
4%
Marionette
4%
Ode
No votes
Jack of All Trades
No votes
Twiddly Dee
4%
Heavy Rotation
2%
Put the Bone In
No votes

Total votes: 48

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

To many, it's probably the band's best achievement to date, and the hallmark of their pre-fame years: Hang Time. But which track is your favorite?

I pick Beggars and Choosers, but I'm expecting two other songs to take the lead pretty quickly.

Can you try to imagine a story that has no end?
I think you'd better steal it while you still understand it
Sell it to one of your friends

Bonus points to Ode, Twiddly Dee, and Heavy Rotation for being awesome!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

that was too hard. there are far too many songs i like.

i went with cartoon, which is of course highly unoriginal of me, but that song is one of my favorite songs by any band, and i love it, so i picked it.

but i also completely love sometime to return, twiddly dee, beggers and choosers.....the whole cd.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

So many good songs on this cd...difficult to choose.

So I asked myself, "what songs made it onto car mix tapes long ago?" and the answer is Sometime to Return, Cartoon, Beggars and Choosers, and Endless Farewell.

Then I remembered that Endless Farewell made it onto a recent car mix cd, so I'll give it my vote this time around. I love Cartoon and Sometime to Return, and I agree they are classic SA songs, but I wanted to give a little love to Endless Farewell. Plus, I've really enjoyed the few live performances of that song that I've seen.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Sometime To Return and Twiddly Dee are some of my fav's, but Dan's song gets my vote on this album. Ever since I bought Hang Time, I dont think there's been one time where I haven't played Cartoon when its been popped in the CD player. It's one of those songs that I could listen to over and over again and not get sick of.
sheryl wrote:i went with cartoon, which is of course highly unoriginal of me
Sheryl: You might want to check, but I don't think your vote got cast for Cartoon since there were still 0 votes for it at the time of this post.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

This was a difficult one to choose. There are so many great tunes on this album, that choosing only one is nearly impossible. Looking through the tracklist, there really isn't a bad one in the bunch. However, I was (like many others I'm sure) torn between two of the "classics" on the album. Cartoon and Sometime To Return are just amazing songs. So powerful and energetic. I ended up going with Sometime to Return though, as I seem to get a little more excited to hear it than I am to hear Cartoon (although maybe that's because I haven't seen it live as much).

I also have to agree with Sarah, in that Endless Farewell (particularly live) is great. Of course, I have never seen them play that one (and am jealous of everyone who has). The song is really a change of pace for the album, but it really fits right in. It gives the album a more "relaxed feel", and also in some ways foreshadows where the band would be going, leading the way for other slower songs like We 3, lots of songs from CFAS, Success, and a whole score of other songs. It really shows the bands musical diversity at a time when they were known for playing high energy sets in crowded bars.

Hang Time is definitely one of those albums that is hard to choose a favorite from, although i felt similar when choosing a favorite from LYDLS and TSL. It's funny how some albums have no clear winner, but than other albums, while being full of great songs, have a single song that really sticks out for me (I won't reveal them all here, as I'll wait for future polls).

Phil

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Monolith Maniac wrote:Sometime To Return and Twiddly Dee are some of my fav's, but Dan's song gets my vote on this album. Ever since I bought Hang Time, I dont think there's been one time where I haven't played Cartoon when its been popped in the CD player. It's one of those songs that I could listen to over and over again and not get sick of.
sheryl wrote:i went with cartoon, which is of course highly unoriginal of me
Sheryl: You might want to check, but I don't think your vote got cast for Cartoon since there were still 0 votes for it at the time of this post.
i noticed that. i think i might have hit the wrong song by mistake. which means i accidentally voted for sometime to return. i like that one too.

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

I might sound like a broken record here, but this is another tough one. I went with Little Too Clean, but could easily have picked Down On Up To Me, Sometime to Return, Cartoon or Marionette.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Very difficult decision this time. Hang Time and Horse are the CDs I'm listening to the most right now.

I finally went with the majority (which seems out of place for Hang Time) and voted for "Sometime to Return". This is a really great album, full of high energy songs.

Other favorites (using the term loosely because there are so many) are: Cartoon, Endless Farewell (especially the part where Dave's voice cracks on "I have just begun"), Standing in the Doorway and Marionette (makes me laugh). Then again, Little Too Clean and Down on Up to Me are fun, too. So difficult to choose just one.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Since this is a Hang Time thread, I feel compelled to share my sister Emily's opinions. Years ago, when forced by Big Sis (me) to listen to SA, she classified Endless Farewell as a SA song that "does not suck" and Twiddly Dee as "a folk rap song."

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Obviously; I picked my "surname" as my favorite song on this cd.

But; in all honesty, this cd has my 3 favorite Soul Asylum songs of all time. Sometime to return, Cartoon and Marionette and in that order. I recently told Dan that I considered "Sometime" and "Cartoon" the greatest 1/2 punch on the history of rock and roll.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.