Tramps (New York, NY) Aug 23, 1994 Download for $5.00

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
irreverentsoul
Runaway

Tramps (New York, NY) Aug 23, 1994 Download for $5.00

Post by irreverentsoul »

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/soul-asyl ... -6590.html

1 Introduction / To Be Delivered 03:42
2 Bittersweetheart 03:28
3 Gone Forgotten0 2:41
4 Song Intro 00:23
5 Nothing To Write Home About 03:15
6 Promises Broken 03:38
7 I Did My Best 03:57
8 String Of Pearls 05:14
9 Eyes Of A Child 03:50
10 Ill Fated 03:06
11 Fearless Leader 05:20
12 Introducing Gary Louris 00:54
13 To My Own Devices 03:53
14 Stage Banter 00:37
15 Dreams 05:13
16 Stage Banter 01:06
17 Feelings 02:44
18 Sonic Reducer 02:55
19 Itching To Fly 02:56
20 Tuning / Stage Ambience 00:36
21 Just Like Anyone 02:22
22 Cut To The Chase 04:03
23 I Should've Stayed In Bed 03:58
24 Crawl 05:32
25 encore applause / stage banter 00:44
26 Hope 02:08
27 audience "bullshit" chant / announcer outro / chant continued 01:10

Liner Notes
Dave Pirner - guitar, vocals; Dan Murphy - guitar; Karl Mueller - bass; Joey Huffman - keyboards; Grant Young - drums;; Guest:; Gary Louris - guitar (12-15)

Following a decade of performing on the alternative rock club and college circuit and half a dozen albums issued on three different labels, Soul Asylum would finally strike gold with their breakthrough Columbia Records album release Grave Dancers Union. Boasting three charting singles, "Somebody To Shove", "Black Gold" and "Runaway Train," the third of which would earn the band a Grammy Award for Best Rock Song in 1994, this album would transform Soul Asylum from underground rockers like fellow Minnesota bands Hüsker Dü and The Replacements, into global superstars.

Captured live at Tramps in New York City right at that peak moment in time, this remarkable live recording not only serves as a time capsule of a pivotal era in Soul Asylum's career, but is a fascinating glimpse into a band at the peak of popularity clearly forging ahead. This performance is notable not only for what the band delivers onstage, but also for what they don't bother with - namely the Grave Dancers Union songs. Instead Soul Asylum place a heavy emphasis on new works in progress, unissued rarities and covers, with no less than 10 songs destined for their 1995 follow-up Let Your Dim Light Shine, several of them in lyrically embryonic form.

Studio obscurities that were only available as Japanese issue bonus tracks are also heard here in live form, including "Gone Forgotten" and an encore cover of The Descendants "Hope." "I Should've Stayed In Bed," which wouldn't see official release until a 1998 live album (and their 2012 album Delayed Reaction a full 18 years later!) is also featured here in earlier form.

Gary Louris, guitarist from The Jayhawks, also joins the band during the middle of this performance, lending his guitar chops to an early version of "To My Own Devices" and a cover of Stevie Nicks' Fleetwood Mac mega-hit "Dreams." One of the funniest and most perverse moments of the set immediately follows as Soul Asylum pair up two additional covers, Morris Albert's sickly-sweet "Feelings" with The Dead Boys "Sonic Reducer!"

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Re: Tramps (New York, NY) Aug 23, 1994 Download for $5.00

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Cool. This was actually posted to some other site (Soundcloud?) a year or two ago as a free download. Good quality audio and great setlist.

reboog711
Social Butterfly

Post by reboog711 »

So is this being sold by the band / record company? Or is in that grey area of copyright law?

If anyone is interested in not paying for this; I have this set in flac format as 20 tracks. I probably got it from the Soundcloud posting a while back.

EasyStreet
O'Jeezer

Post by EasyStreet »

I am not completely sure what the arrangement is for this but this has been on that site for a couple of years now (to stream only) and I think this is now being sold by the promoter of the show (Bill Graham Productions). I would have to imagine they secured the rights to sell this but I personally don't worry about that small stuff unless I am directly involved.

I also have this recording as well, from a different site and this is by far the best sounding live recording of this band I have in my collection (of non officially release material that is). The next best sounding live show I have is RFK 1995. If you don't have that one I highly recommend it.
Sometimes I wonder.....why is that Frisbee getting bigger? And then it hits me.