What is your favorite song on And the Horse They Rode In On?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on And the Horse They Rode In On?

Spinnin'
7%
Bitter Pill
2%
Veil of Tears
13%
Nice Guys (Don't Get Paid)
7%
Something Out of Nothing
5%
Gullible's Travels
13%
Brand New Shine
3%
Easy Street
15%
Grounded
3%
Be On Your Way
3%
We 3
15%
All the King's Friends
13%

Total votes: 60

foureyedsometimes
Runaway

Re: What is your favorite song on And the Horse They Rode In On?

Post by foureyedsometimes »

Possibly SA's most consistent LP songwise, though the production is a little too smooth after the rawness of Hang Time.
Very tough to pick a favourite on here as all the songs are great, Nice Guys, Gullible's, Grounded, All the King's could easily have made it, but today I went for Veil of Tears. I've not played this in a while, but I might on my way home from work.
I've lost track of my rankings in terms of best albums, but I would say this was number 4 or 5, after MTBB, Hang Time, WYWO.
I would think that recorded with a different producer this could have been their best????? Hmm, food for thought.
Can't put a square peg in a hole that's round.....

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

foureyedsometimes wrote:Possibly SA's most consistent LP songwise, though the production is a little too smooth after the rawness of Hang Time.
Very tough to pick a favourite on here as all the songs are great, Nice Guys, Gullible's, Grounded, All the King's could easily have made it, but today I went for Veil of Tears. I've not played this in a while, but I might on my way home from work.
I've lost track of my rankings in terms of best albums, but I would say this was number 4 or 5, after MTBB, Hang Time, WYWO.
I would think that recorded with a different producer this could have been their best????? Hmm, food for thought.
The production on this album never seemed to phase me, it could have been better, but it was just such a good album. Every song on it is so strong, and the tracks on the promo CD are just as good if not better. It was definitely a high point for the bands creativity (and at a point where they released their best songs as opposed to the past 10 years... black star, lonely for you, freak accident, etc).

i find horse to be their strongest album. It has a special place for me, as it's always been the album I listen to when I'm feeling depressed. It somehow makes me feel better (particularly we 3 which i can definitely relate to). I don't think it matters how upset i am, after listening to this, I just can't stay sad.

Phil

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

I think that I agree about the production of the album, not that I knew that was the problem at the time it came out. But I was strangely fairly disappointed with it at first listen - until I saw them play the songs live and then I LOVED it. So its obviously not the songs, but probably as you say the way they were produced.

Dave4Prez
Caged Rat

Post by Dave4Prez »

I'm going to go with Easy Street. This is the album I first started to listed to Soul Asylum and I've been a die hard since then. I have pretty much all of their CD's. Listening to Never Really Been as we speak.

I think And the Horse They Rode in On, despite its lack of commercial success is where SA really turns the corner. They settle down, they do things their way and I agree, poorly produced.

I am SO PSYCHED RIGHT NOW! :D Just spent $600 to fly from Phoenix to Chicago to see them. Watch, they'll end up coming to Phoenix too! I hope!!

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

I found out that all of the songs on this album were also on Welcome to the Minority, and seeing as I don't know where I could get this album anywhere else, I bought Welcome to the Minority on iTunes(thank goodness for holidays and my parents not being able to find any music for me.). This was the first one that I actually had trouble deciding on what to vote for! I ended up voting for Something Out of Nothing because it's the one song that I find myself waiting for.

edabbiati
Stranger

Post by edabbiati »

We 3...strange atmosphere. Different from everything on the record.

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

Veil of Tears, for sure. Although like most of their stuff, it's always hard to pick just one. This whole CD is just one of my favorites all around. It's what got me hooked on SA in the first place....
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

mrock61
Stranger

Post by mrock61 »

We 3 is excellent as is the rest of this album. I consider this album in my top 5 favorite albums by the band.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

I'd first heard Horse when Jim played it for me. Judging by those listens, I voted for the last track, All the King's Friends. I realized after leaving the states that I should've bought the album while I was there! :-(

Today, I saw live performances of Gullible's Travels and All the King's Friends at Ann Arbor (10/29/90). WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WGetlgx ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey80hzzK ... re=related

Thanks Mike for sharing these!!

Ahhh...did I forget to add that I've fallen completely in love with the two above, along with Nice Guys, and Veil of Tears? :D I really could keep these on repeat forever...and Horse is turning out to to be one of my favorite albums already...despite me not having had 'em for long and despite its production.
Last edited by sayeeda on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

The last time I was listening this album very much.
And I love "Spinnin`", "Gullible`s Travels", "Brand new shine", "Easy Street" and "All the king`s friends" so much! Great great great! :mrgreen:
Many Greetings from Germany
yours Cordelia