The Silver Bullet & The Silver Lining (2008 April Fool's)

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

Homesick wrote:I don't know if anyone else noticed, but as far as I can tell, the lyrics seem to sync up with the visuals: "running wild through the trees" accompanied by the footage of that girl running, "too soon, too fast" when filming from inside the car, and so on. It's pretty neat, actually—definitely more well-thought out than a lot of commercials out there.

To be honest, I generally don't like it when bands advertise for stuff. Beer commercials in particular bring kind of a dubious feel to the whole thing, if you ask me. Still, like a previous poster said, you can never have too much Soul Asylum—and I guess to some degree this does make up for the fact that Standing Water didn't become the summer hit I had hoped it to be. ;)
I agree with you on all points!! I don't really like the "sell out" part but I certainly understand it. I happen to drink Coors Light (don't hate) but that has nothing to do with it. Somehow, I doubt this will be overplayed.....do we even know if it will actually be on TV?
Pat

Atticusdog
Runaway

Post by Atticusdog »

April fool's no doubt.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Interesting. The song did seem to fit the commercial pretty well.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Atticusdog wrote:April fool's no doubt.
Just curious...why do you say that? Besides the obvious...today's April Fool's day..

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

I went and contacted the ad agency about the commercial and see if they could provide me with a little bit more information on exactly whats going on with the campaign.

It's not long, but I'm sure you'll learn some more info about the video. You can listen to it here.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

dcjcycle
Stranger

Post by dcjcycle »

Well done! You had a pretty easy audience, though. Two years ago, many of the O'Jeezers fell hook, line and sinker for Chuck Klosterman's April 1 review of GnR's Chinese Democracy, which referred to Dave singing with Axl:
http://www.spin.com/reviews/guns-n-rose ... interscope

It seems that any story about the band is welcomed as great news, however unlikely it may be.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Very nicely done. If you had posted it a day later I wouldn't have suspected a thing. But I trust nobody on April 1 :)

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I was in on it, of course, but Jim is solely responsible for executing this brilliant hoax. Great job!

Stay tuned for next year's April Fool. ;)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

g8trcarol
Caged Rat

Post by g8trcarol »

Oh you guys!!!! Thanks for the smile, though! (I was in need of one)

Peace,
Carol

pathorses
O'Jeezer

Post by pathorses »

Monolith Maniac wrote:I went and contacted the ad agency about the commercial and see if they could provide me with a little bit more information on exactly whats going on with the campaign.

It's not long, but I'm sure you'll learn some more info about the video. You can listen to it here.
That's great!! You are either very talented (which I'm sure is the case) or have waaaayyy too much time on your hands.

(Remember, I'm old as dirt with limited computer skills!)

Pat