The Silver Bullet & The Silver Lining (2008 April Fool's)

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

pathorses wrote:
Monolith Maniac wrote:I went and contacted the ad agency about the commercial and see if they could provide me with a little bit more information on exactly whats going on with the campaign.

It's not long, but I'm sure you'll learn some more info about the video. You can listen to it here.
That's great!! You are either very talented (which I'm sure is the case) or have waaaayyy too much time on your hands.

(Remember, I'm old as dirt with limited computer skills!)

Pat
Quite a good one you pulled there. Was kind of weird that no other news sites has news of this deal. That sad part is that I had (until this) gone all of april fools day without being rickrolled. Quite an accomplishment in my opinion too.

I definitely agree that someone has too much time on their hands. I hope the original video was like it was and you didn't have to splice together multiple sources to make it. That seems like way too much work in my opinion.

And every star that shines in the back of my mind
Is just waiting for its cover to be blown

Phil

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Awww...I was so happy for SA that I never considered it being an April Fools joke.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

<:Snorts:> Regardless of "too much time" or effort, the final product was ingenious! Bravo Jim!

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Wow, thanks for all the compliments on the commercial. I'm surprised the majority of you fell for it, but that was my intention. :D

I do a lot of music and video editing in my spare time so making this was exceptionally fun. I made the commercial during my spring break, so I edited it together when I had some free time. It took me about 6 hours to make everything (the commercial, faux press release, and the phone call).

I edited the song and cut it up so that it would flow smoothly and still be under a minute long. I used four sources to make the video, but most of the final commercial came from only one source. I had just spliced that video up into a different scenes to fit the lyrics, otherwise I believe the whole video was used. The video quality I had to work with was how you see it as well, so there was no converting or compression issues (I only added that part to my story just in case somebody would comment on how a just released video could look so grainy and compressed).

The main video I used for the final commercial has been taken down by the user, so I was lucky to grab it when I could, because without it I don't think I could have made the commercial as good. I still have a copy of the video, but "YouTube is currently performing maintenance", so I can't upload the video right now. I'll post all the sources in another post once I'm able to upload the original source video.

Thanks again for the nice comments, it was fun reading the posts thinking most of you fell for it; I'm happy that you got a good laugh out of it.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Nice one.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: The Silver Bullet & The Silver Lining - UPDATE

I uploaded the original commercial which contains most (if not all) of the footage that was shown in the faux commercial. Here are all the sources I used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yCnQ_yfgJI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hpMVJUYuY0 (commercial starts at 1:37)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82mWhYp5a-Q

The final source I used, which I'm surprised nobody caught (or at least mentioned) is one I'm sure most of you have seen. I thought including these clips might be a dead giveaway, but I thought they fit real well into the video. View that one here.

Here's the final outcome again if you want to compare. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-czqYfTqIPk&NR

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I had never seen the Summer of Drugs video before! I have a few seconds of it on a couple of disks but I've never seen the whole thing. I love that you used that, that was pretty bold :)

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

I know I'm about 4 and a half months late on this, but all I wanted to share is that I had no idea Coors was actually in the progress of planning to release a new ad campaign:

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRel ... BW20080408

Looks like the announcement came only a week after I posted my April Fool's video!

I've seen summaries/scripts for commercials before, but I didn't think they'd actually be written out in a press release that "simple" (I would have thought they'd be sound/written a little more "professional"). I think I might have went a little too overboard on mine. :P