What is your favorite song on Candy From A Stranger?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on Candy From A Stranger?

Creatures of Habit
No votes
I Will Still Be Laughing
21%
Close
15%
See You Later
8%
No Time For Waiting
6%
Blood Into Wine
6%
Lies of Hate
No votes
Draggin' the Lake
2%
New York Blackout
10%
The Game
4%
Cradle Chain
27%

Total votes: 48

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: What is your favorite song on Candy From A Stranger?

Post by Closer »

This one is special to me because it kind of re-established my passion for the band. After Let Your Dim Light Shine I got less interested in them, so when I bought Candy it wasn't such a big thing for me as when I bought LYDLS. But then after listening to it, I realized again how special this band is to me. My favourite songs are Creatures of Habit, Close and Cradle Chain but I chose See You Later because I like the song structure and lyrics.
I like the bonus cd too. I Should Have Stayed In Bed and Die In Your Arms are some of my all time favourites now and it was nice finally seeing that show 1,5 year ago when someone put it online.
If there's one negative aspect to this album for me then it's the production. Some songs have this cheap "bubble gum pop" vibe to them. I don't know how to put it into words but I feel that some songs just could have sounded better. For example See You Later... I think it's a great song, but I think that it could have sounded even better. Like for example the version on After The Flood. It sounds a lot more full while on the album it has this "thin sound".

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Closer wrote: If there's one negative aspect to this album for me then it's the production. Some songs have this cheap "bubble gum pop" vibe to them. I don't know how to put it into words but I feel that some songs just could have sounded better. For example See You Later... I think it's a great song, but I think that it could have sounded even better. Like for example the version on After The Flood. It sounds a lot more full while on the album it has this "thin sound".
that was my biggest issue with this record. the songs were good, but it didnt sound like soul asylum. it was poppy and strange, and the vocals were so so so painfully, carefully perfect that it didn't really, to me, sound genuine. it basically sounded as if the whole thing had been run through some magic mixer to polish it to perfection and take out anything that made it sound like real people were singing real songs with real feeling. it sounded like product.

the few songs they do from that record now live....they sound completely different. and so much better. for example, i never liked "close". honestly i thought it sounded like a show tune :) then i heard him do it live. holy god. whole different animal.

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

It's always interesting to me to see just how much opinions vary and how records and songs that are not to my taste at all are other people's favorites. It's a good thing - makes the world a more interesting place.

This record is, without a question, my least favorite Soul Asylum record. And before you go dismissing me as an early SA fan that disses their later stuff, I should note that I am a fan of both early and late material and would put "Say What You Will..." in second-to-last place. Despite the fact that these records could not be further apart stylistically, I think they suffer from the same problem, which is that they are both pretty generic sounding. I don't hate Candy by any means; it's just that I think the songs on that record are particularly lackluster. Each of these two records has advantages/disadvantages over the other. Candy is more listenable overall. I can put the record on and listen to the whole thing and find it pleasant; but no song really stands out for me, and the album as a whole doesn't really do anything for me -- which is odd from a band that has tons of material that just knocks my socks off. Meanwhile, Say What You Will has a few songs that are real standouts: Draggin' Me Down and Black and Blue are awesome punk tunes, and Stranger is an absolute masterpiece. But I hardly ever listen to that album in its entirety. Even though I like punk a lot, most of the songs are just too nondescript.

Meanwhile, as far as early Soul Asylum goes, Made to Be Broken is one of my favorite albums by anyone ever. And as far as late Soul Asylum, I think The Silver Lining is a great record, full of excellent songs and strong as an album overall.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

I really don't know what to say about this cd. It's enjoyable; every song, in fact I listed to it today while I was outside working. It's solid top to bottom; but if I was to introduce someone to Soul Asylum, this isn't the cd that I would suggest right away.

Anyway; I chose Danny's song as my favorite for this cd. I am a "glass is half full" kinda person; always looking for a positive in any situation and I find it is this song, even though I don't think that is the song's intention.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

I like a lot of the songs from Candy: Creatures, Close, See You Later, and No Time for Waiting. My vote came down to two right now (ask me next week, it could change): Draggin' the Lake and New York Blackout. Like Phil, I love opening line to Draggin' the Lake. :lol:

I voted for New York Blackout because those last two lines just get to me every time. "In a New York blackout, you might think I'm gone / but I'll wake up on the front steps of your door."

I think the live version of The Game on After the Flood is better than the version on Candy. The arrangement they used in that live performance is much better suited to the song than the studio arrangement.

From the bonus CD, I really like Die in Your Arms, especially the line about the "flailing, lost, delirious sperm". Who else but Dave Pirner would write a line like that? You gotta love the way his brain works. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

agirlcalledkill
Stranger

Post by agirlcalledkill »

I've choose "I will still be laughing" but "Close" is nice too... :?
"There's nothing wrong with being a loser...
It just depends on how good you are at it!!!!"

Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

I said Blood Into Wine, real haunting track, even though the video for Laughing is hilarious. Skates! In July!
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

sheryl wrote:i never liked "close". honestly i thought it sounded like a show tune :) then i heard him do it live. holy god. whole different animal.
OMG that's what I thought too! The live version was amazing!

I voted Draggin' the Lake.I'm the only one who voted for the song weeeee!
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

Oh that`s a bad question! And only one option ..... :oops:
I`ve clicked for "I will still be laughing".
But if I could have more options I would click for "Close" too.
Many Greetings from Germany
yours Cordelia

foureyedsometimes
Runaway

Post by foureyedsometimes »

Never really played this until fairly recently. I had a sampler for the record for ages before it came out, with maybe 5 or 6 songs on it, and I thought they were pretty good - I will Still Be Laughing was the standout at that point. I voted for NY Blackout, because when I played the record recently it was the one that jumped up and said something to me.
Not their greatest achievement, but not bad.
Can't put a square peg in a hole that's round.....