Tiny parts of songs that make all the difference

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
lucy
Social Butterfly

Re: Tiny parts of songs that make all the difference

Post by lucy »

Maybe this is too obvious, the cough before Never Really Been

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Since two people have mentioned the cough, I thought you might be interested in a conversation I had with Dave about it. I asked, "What's the story with the cough at the beginning of 'Never Really Been'?" He said, "There's a cough?" paused and then said, "It was probably just me coughing." Well, obviously I knew it was him coughing, so I explained that what I was actually wondering was whether there was a story behind the decision to leave the cough in the recording. He said that someone probably just decided it sounded cool, and then he went on to tell me about an album he was producing at the time (for Paul Sanchez in New Orleans) where the drummer kept laughing during the takes, and they just decided it belonged, so they left it in the recording.

With so much music being overly engineered, I really like that spontaneous, quirky part of recording.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

Thank you for the story! Sorry, I didn't see that the cough was already recognized. I'll have to come up with something else original

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

Standing in the sun with a popsicle everything is possible!

:shock:

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Oooooh, I remembered one: That little laugh that Dave gives in the Say What You Will recording of Stranger, right before the line, "I'm just another face in a faceless crowd."
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Maybe this is cheating (in fact I know it is), but listening to the mat's today made me laugh about it, so here goes for a very Dave moment.

In the intro to Kid's Don't Follow when the Minneapolis Police are busting up the party, you can hear Dave yell "fuck you buddy". This is actually his first appearance on an album, and quite amusing.

Phil

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Promises Broken: the part "looking outside from the windowsill..." and "fifteen miles..." - I didn't expect these tunes to pop out in the middle because it didn't sound like any other part of the song.

Black Gold: transition from "brother you ain't my kind" to "black soldier, white plight" - it sounded like the word "you're"

Black Gold: two separate guitars in harmony - like the riff in Ventura Highway by America

Close: the noisy punk-ish introduction only to find out that it is a love song.

- PS Hi! I'm new here. I'm so disappointed that there is just a few of us. Oh well...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

lune ellise wrote: - PS Hi! I'm new here. I'm so disappointed that there is just a few of us. Oh well...
Hey lune, Welcome to the club. We're a small group, but generally a close and friendly one. The problem with larger groups is they tend to splinter off more. I'd guess that the SA fan club has been about the same size since the late 90s, with people coming and going slowly over time. It's always good to meet new fans, hope to meet you at a show some day.

Phil

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

crawl wrote:Standing in the sun with a popsicle everything is possible!

:shock:
Yes.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

philipgar wrote:hope to meet you at a show some day.

Phil
Oh I would LOVE to go to an SA show and meet fellow fans. Sadly, I think that isn't possible since I am in the Philippines. :(
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum