Misheard lyrics

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I've actually thought it was something like "I'm born to kill"... :lol:

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Here's two more from See You Later:

Real: I hope this flight it never lands
Misheard: I hope this Friday never ends or I hope this Friday never lasts

Real: And it's up in the air tonight
Misheard: And it's hard in the end to know

(My brother, who's not into Soul Asylum, actually likes this song. Interestingly enough, he also thought it was "in the end".)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

it was dave tripping over the word that cleared up that "artillery" line for me. part of "something out of nothing" shows some of the recording of that song and at one point what came out of his mouth was something like "artillerary" and someone in the house kind of vaguely said to the tv "was that supposed to be artillery, dave?" heh.
and suddenly it all made sense.

if he hadn't mangled that word though probably i'd still be wondering.

allmessedup
Lone Rider

Never Really Been

Post by allmessedup »

I'm trying to figure out the lyrics to Never Really Been, and could use some opinions from y'all. This site (and many online lyrics sites) say:
"But I've never really been touched there"
I'm not so sure that's what he really says, but I can't figure out what else it could be. I found one online tab music site that had "But I've never really been much else" which makes a lot more sense to me, but that's still not what I hear when I listen to the song. In one version that I watched on YouTube, it sounded like he said "punched" instead of "touched" but that was just the one version.

Related to this, Soul Asylum's myspace page (which also says "touched there") posts "universe oppressed" instead of "universal press." Any idea who posts the lyrics on their myspace page?

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: Never Really Been

Post by philipgar »

allmessedup wrote:I'm trying to figure out the lyrics to Never Really Been, and could use some opinions from y'all. This site (and many online lyrics sites) say:
"But I've never really been touched there"
I'm not so sure that's what he really says, but I can't figure out what else it could be. I found one online tab music site that had "But I've never really been much else" which makes a lot more sense to me, but that's still not what I hear when I listen to the song. In one version that I watched on YouTube, it sounded like he said "punched" instead of "touched" but that was just the one version.

Related to this, Soul Asylum's myspace page (which also says "touched there") posts "universe oppressed" instead of "universal press." Any idea who posts the lyrics on their myspace page?
I actually asked Dave this very question (and i've never really been ... there) years ago. The answer I got back is that both are correct. On the first verse he says punched there, and on the second he says touched there. I remember when he told me about this, he made some joke about how another soul asylum mystery has been revealed or something.

I'm not really sure on the universe oppressed line. Personally, I thought it was "some universal threat", but I have no real clue. Listening to another version of it again it really does sound like "universe oppressed", so I'll go with that.

Phil

allmessedup
Lone Rider

Re: Never Really Been

Post by allmessedup »

philipgar wrote:I actually asked Dave this very question (and i've never really been ... there) years ago. The answer I got back is that both are correct. On the first verse he says punched there, and on the second he says touched there. I remember when he told me about this, he made some joke about how another soul asylum mystery has been revealed or something.

I'm not really sure on the universe oppressed line. Personally, I thought it was "some universal threat", but I have no real clue. Listening to another version of it again it really does sound like "universe oppressed", so I'll go with that.

Phil
Thanks for the insight, Phil. An answer straight from the horse's mouth. Well, second hand from the horse's mouth, anyway. Mystery revealed, indeed!

I still think that "never really been much else" makes more sense, but... oh, well. As for the other line, I always figured it was "universal press" but the others make sense too. I know that artists sometimes change up the lyrics in their songs, so there isn't always one right version.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:It took ten years for me to detect the phrase "panel of experts" in Freaks. Not sure if that counts here.

During Cartoon I usually sing "when the bleacher seats a fire in your charade it's too far," because that's what my brain heard for the first time at age 15 and I guess it got ingrained. I still don't know what that line is without looking it up.

that's what my brain hears in cartoon too, but it makes no sense so i've always assumed it's not right. what is the line?

norma023
O'Jeezer

Cartoon

Post by norma023 »

Here is the (only) section of that song with "charade" being mentioned

When the circus that you left goes on parade,
and those things you see seem so far in your charade,
too far,
but I'm feeling like I don't dare look away,
Don't look away

Don't know where your brain is hearing anything about bleacher seats, guess I have to take a re-listen of that song... :)
sheryl wrote:
mystic_spiral_3 wrote:
During Cartoon I usually sing "when the bleacher seats a fire in your charade it's too far," because that's what my brain heard for the first time at age 15 and I guess it got ingrained. I still don't know what that line is without looking it up.

that's what my brain hears in cartoon too, but it makes no sense so i've always assumed it's not right. what is the line?
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

I always heard universe oppressed and I've stared at Dave's mouth on the Touched There line when they've played and never could figure out anything else he could be saying.

Alot of the the lyrics I've looked up online for songs are definitely not right - like the Freaks lyrics if you google it - Who writes these things? And then it seems like the other sites pick them up too.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Here's a clip I put together of 7 "universal press" or "universe opressed" from a few versions of Never Really Been (the first one is the album version). To me it sounds like "universal press" (which is what I had posted in the lyrics, as opposed to all the other lyric sites).

Link: You decide.

As for all the other lyric sites, (as Lucy mentioned) I wouldn't doubt one bit that one site just copies another and thats how they get "their own" lyrics. The majority of lyric sites had either incomplete songs, totally wrong lyrics, and/or many sites didn't have the earlier discography. I definitely didn't want a Soul Asylum fansite to have a half-assed incomplete discography section, so I did my best on it (no pun intended).

Also, since this site has been open I have gone through almost all their songs again. I found quite a few errors in the lyrics that I had made. I'd like to think that the majority have now been now corrected. But again, if you do see any, feel free to let me know by sending me a private message or by clicking the "let us know" box at the bottom of any lyrics page.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com