What is your favorite song on Clam Dip & Other Delights?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on Clam Dip & Other Delights?

Just Plain Evil
No votes
Chains
44%
Secret No More
No votes
Artificial Heart
12%
P-9
36%
Take It To the Root
8%

Total votes: 25

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: What is your favorite song on Clam Dip & Other Delights?

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I chose Chains. I always did like that song.

As for the cover, several years ago I found a poster of the cover in a heap of other random posters on the floor of a record store in Iowa City. I asked the clerk if the posters cost anything or if people could take them. He said they were trying to get rid of the posters, so I gave the Clam Dip cover a good home. It was slightly worn and needed patched with tape, but otherwise it was ok. I put it on the wall at school. That meant I had to explain what it was and why I had it to every new roommate I had.

One time when my parents were visiting, my dad saw the poster and gave me an odd look. Thankfully, my mom stepped in and said, "oh, that band Sarah likes did a parody of that old Herb Alpert album cover...remember that?" Though I still think my dad thought it was a little odd.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Man this EP is inspired. You can tell these guys were pissed at A&M, cuz they left it all in the studio for TwinTone here. The liner notes are probably the funniest thing ever. And their version of Chains is ridiculously good.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

While the cover art is certainly memorable, I still think there are some great songs here. I voted for Take it to the Root, but also really like Just Plain Evil and Artificial Heart.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

The cover art and liner notes because the parody is so perfect.

"Artificial Heart" got my vote because it's so weird. Sort of creepy, too, but I like it. :?

I like most of the songs on this EP. The guitars on "Just Plain Evil" sound like they're having fun. There's something about the rhythm of the lines "But you never know who you might meet / on a street where the church bells ring to a different beat" that always catches my attention.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:There's something about the rhythm of the lines "But you never know who you might meet / on a street where the church bells ring to a different beat" that always catches my attention.
That's actually the main reason that I listen to Just Plain Evil every once in a while. I don't care much for the song, to be honest, but that one line is brilliant!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Yeah that's the awesomest line in an awesome song :D
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

Cordelia
Caged Rat

Post by Cordelia »

Greta album! But my favorite song is "P-9". :mrgreen:
Many Greetings from Germany
yours Cordelia

mikeage
Marionette

Post by mikeage »

chains - best cover ever.
well besides their cover of the descendents song hope.

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Haven't heard all the songs off it, though I've heard some of them (P-9, Artificial Heart, Chains). I don't feel that this is enough for me to choose a favorite song. Still, from what I've heard of Chains (both the cover and the original), I've been struck a little dumb. Unless any of the others not yet heard manage to change my mind, Chains is definitely my favorite yet. ;)
Last edited by sayeeda on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

sayeeda wrote:Haven't heard all the songs off this album yet, though I've heard some of them (P-9, Artificial Heart, Chains). I don't feel that this is enough for me to choose a favorite song. Still, from what I've heard of Chains (both the cover and the original), I've been struck a little dumb. Unless any of the others not yet heard manage to change my mind, Chains is definitely my favorite yet. ;)
Chains is a good song, most of the EP is really good, but my choice has been, and will always be artificial heart. I always liked that song, but not sure if it was my favorite until a few years ago. The nyes show in mpls is what really put it over the edge. Being there with good friends, and hearing the band play art heart for the first time... it was incredible. I really can't think of how that could be beat.

Phil