Which album is the best "summer album"?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Homesick
Warden

Which album is the best "summer album"?

Post by Homesick »

Now that summer is fast approaching in many parts of the world (man, it's hot outside today!), I thought I'd start off a tangent to the "Which SA song would make the best summer hit?" thread.

This time, it's not about songs but about albums: If you could only listen to a single SA album this entire summer, which one would it be?

Without hesitating for a second, I choose Hang Time. Apart from the fact that it was the "soundtrack" to my graduation last summer, tunes like Sometime To Return, Cartoon, and Standing In the Doorway just scream summer.

For summer evenings, however, the album I'm most likely to put on is Let Your Dim Light Shine. For an hour of summer relaxation, few things beat that—especially when final third of the album kicks in with Eyes of A Child and ends with I Did My Best.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: Which album is the best "summer album"?

Post by sheryl »

Because I associate GDU with summer, that's the one that immediately comes to mind. It's not, however, the one I'd like to listen to the most.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Although; Hang Time is my favorite album, "TSL" screams summer. "TSL" is my choice.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

I probably associate LYDLS most with summer. The summer it came out, I played it alot, my friends played it alot, we drove around the neighborhood listening to it the night I got my driver's license, we watched the videos on MTV. That tape along with the Jayhawks' Tomorrow the Green Grass and Better than Ezra's Deluxe made up my 1995 summer soundtrack.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Dim Light for me, easily. I spent a lot of time in my grandfather's van the summer I turned 11, and that album was all we listened to- I think it contributed to his going deaf lol.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more