What is your favorite song on Made To Be Broken?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on Made To Be Broken?

Tied To the Tracks
No votes
Ship of Fools
3%
Can't Go Back
23%
Another World, Another Day
No votes
Made To Be Broken
3%
Never Really Been
39%
Whoa!
6%
New Feelings
No votes
Growing Pain
No votes
Long Way Home
10%
Lone Rider
No votes
Ain't That Tough
10%
Don't It (Make Your Troubles Seem Small)
6%

Total votes: 31

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re: What is your favorite song on Made To Be Broken?

Post by lune ellise »

nikki wrote:Unoriginal as it may be, I had to go with Never Really Been because it is one of my fave songs ever :)
Have you heard the Unplugged version of NRB? :shock:
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

foureyedsometimes
Runaway

Post by foureyedsometimes »

I voted for Can't Go Back, because of the line "the good times are so near, sitting back and drinking beer" reminds me of the summer of 88 when i first got into Soul Asylum and I bought this LP, but really almost anything from this album could be their greatest song, MTBB itself, Ship of Fools, Tied tio the Tracks, all awesome songs. This, for me, will remain their greatest achievement, almost, but not quite, matched by Hang Time, and While You Were Out. The first side of the album is just sooooo good I used to play it, liftof the stylus, put it back down again, over and over and over.....for a while I didn't catch up on side two, and when i did that was a revealtion too. Whoa! is just so different, Ain't That Tough (or Ain't that Touch as it says on my copy!) is one of their best songs. Simply awesome.
Can't put a square peg in a hole that's round.....

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

foureyedsometimes wrote:I voted for Can't Go Back, because of the line "the good times are so near, sitting back and drinking beer" reminds me of the summer of 88 when i first got into Soul Asylum and I bought this LP, but really almost anything from this album could be their greatest song, MTBB itself, Ship of Fools, Tied tio the Tracks, all awesome songs. This, for me, will remain their greatest achievement, almost, but not quite, matched by Hang Time, and While You Were Out. The first side of the album is just sooooo good I used to play it, liftof the stylus, put it back down again, over and over and over.....for a while I didn't catch up on side two, and when i did that was a revealtion too. Whoa! is just so different, Ain't That Tough (or Ain't that Touch as it says on my copy!) is one of their best songs. Simply awesome.
hey foureyes, welcome to the board! it's great reading your reviews of the albums, and favorite songs. Although reading them, I see a certain nostalgia for the old albums, which makes me ask the question first, where are you from, are you from mpls like so many? Also, it makes me think you would have loved the Grand Champeen show a few years back in mpls where they did a soul asylum covers gig, but limiting themselves to pre GDU songs. It was the closest thing to a vintage 1980s SA show possible (they even did James at 16).

My comment on MTBB is just that I can't list can't go back in the same vein as Never Really Been. While it is a great song, NRB is just amazing. I will say though, that the line you quote is one of the best lines ever. Nothing beats both how real and how raw the line it.

Phil

foureyedsometimes
Runaway

Post by foureyedsometimes »

Hi Phil, nice to be on board! I should have joined ages ago, but never got round to it.
yeah I'm definitely a pre Grave Dancers man, though I do really like LYDLS and TLS.
I'm in the UK, but lucky for me I picked up on SA early, around the time Clam Dip came out. I bought MTBB, WYWO and SWYW in the space of a few weeks and then waited for Hang Time to be released.
Luckily for me, SA played in the UK a few times in the late 80s and we (mates and me) went to as many as we could. I read later that Dave hated those shows in small pubs and clubs and that disapponted me a little as they were some of the best gigs I've ever seen.
I could have voted for anything on this LP, to be they all could be singles anyway.
I would love to see a cover band of SA - especially the early days!!. Do they have a website do you know? No chance of playing the UK I doubt..
Pete
Can't put a square peg in a hole that's round.....

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

foureyedsometimes wrote:Hi Phil, nice to be on board! I should have joined ages ago, but never got round to it.
yeah I'm definitely a pre Grave Dancers man, though I do really like LYDLS and TLS.
I'm in the UK, but lucky for me I picked up on SA early, around the time Clam Dip came out. I bought MTBB, WYWO and SWYW in the space of a few weeks and then waited for Hang Time to be released.
Luckily for me, SA played in the UK a few times in the late 80s and we (mates and me) went to as many as we could. I read later that Dave hated those shows in small pubs and clubs and that disapponted me a little as they were some of the best gigs I've ever seen.
I could have voted for anything on this LP, to be they all could be singles anyway.
I would love to see a cover band of SA - especially the early days!!. Do they have a website do you know? No chance of playing the UK I doubt..
Pete
Grand Champeen is a band in their own right, they just did the SA covers gig as a tribute to SA, and to help raise money for cancer research in honor of Karl. The band is well worth checking out though, as they were heavily influenced by Soul Asylum, the Replacements, Big Star, etc. They have a myspace page at http://www.myspace.com/grandchampeen . I often feel it's my duty to spread the word about them, as they're a lot of fun to listen to, and definitely feel like a mpls band (despite being from austin, tx).

Phil