Which SA song would make the best summer hit?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Homesick
Warden

Which SA song would make the best summer hit?

Post by Homesick »

We all know the songs: those that play on the radio a dozen times every hour for an entire summer and eventually make your ears bleed: "Macarena," "Mambo No. 5," "Dragostea Din Tei"... (Local variations may exist.)

Still, there's no doubt that Soul Asylum could release one hell of a summer hit if given the chance.

If you got to choose a song by Soul Asylum to be played all over the place for one entire summer, which would it be?

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

First off, even though it was released in the autumn of 1992, I know for sure that Runaway Train would make one awesome summer hit. If you ask me, there's not a single circumstance in which that song wouldn't become a hit.

Easy Street would be another candidate, since it has that upbeat style to it, and it's not just the music; the more I've listened to it, the more I've come to really appreciate the optimistic message that its lyrics send out.

I also believe that Standing Water would make a brilliant summer hit. In fact, it sort of became my own personal summer hit last year, and I think it would have been a great choice for The Silver Lining's second single, had there been one.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

That's a tough one. If I had to pick one off of The Silver Lining I would most likely pick Oxygen. I have really enjoyed that song ever since they started playing it live back before it was on the album (although the final version did change a little bit, and not for the worse). The song is full of energy and always gets me going (must be that "shock treatment"), especially if I hear it early in the day in the car or on that long ride home while stuck in traffic.

I really enjoy Standing Water too. It would probably be a close second contender for me as a second single/summer hit, but I don't know if I could hear it the whole summer like I could with Oxygen (but any SA song for that matter having that much airplay is good by me).

Other canidates include:

All the King's Friends
Sometime to Return
To My Own Devices
Showtime (The Silver Lining Japanese bonus track)
Cartoon

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I second "Standing Water", but that's probably also cause that song reminds me most of my summer vacation last year.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Oxygen. I posted a comment to that effect on their myspace last summer. Lol.

(Sorry I keep digging up old posts. But I just found this site. And it's awesome.)
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

TheJudge wrote:Sorry I keep digging up old posts.
By all means, go ahead! There are quite a few interesting threads already that deserve to be dug up.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Re: Which SA song would make the best summer hit?

Post by lune ellise »

I live in the tropics, so our summer here falls from March to May. So basically:

APRIL FOOL!

It SCREAMS summer every time I hear it.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I don't know what song of theirs would necessarily make a good summer hit, but I know which song I ASSOCIATE with summer every time I hear it: Without a Trace

I hear that song and I see, hear, taste and smell summer.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Antoher great thread. When I think of summer I think of the sun, of working in the yard or grilling or having friends over for a few drinks, of acting "goofy" outside from being inside after another Minnesota winter etc... Essentially; good times.

That's why I think Long Way Home and Spinning are just a couple great summer songs. Can anyone say air drums?
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.