What is your favorite song on Time's Incinerator?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite song on Time's Incinerator?

Draggin' Me Down
9%
Freeway
5%
Broken Glass
5%
Goin' Down
5%
The Snake
No votes
Hot Pants
No votes
Job For Me
No votes
Swingin'
5%
Take It To the Root
5%
Fearless
No votes
Do You Know
No votes
Spacehead
5%
Cocaine Blues
No votes
Out of Style
5%
Nowhere To Go
41%
Hey Bird
No votes
Friends
No votes
Ramblin' Rose
9%
Your Clock
5%
Masquerade
5%
Soul Asylum
No votes

Total votes: 22

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: What is your favorite song on Time's Incinerator?

Post by sheryl »

the question of including later incarnations of songs isn't that complicated, although of course it wouldnt fit in with an album track poll. just make a poll of reworked songs, if there are enough of them.

i wonder if there would be enough of them, though. closer to the stars is really the only song i can think of that was drastically rearranged for good. clearly they do a lot of songs live in a slightly different way than the album tracks, and they have acoustic versions of most everything, but that's the only song that comes to mind that was actually permanently changed.

the poll thing could get crazy, couldnt it!

acoustic versions
b sides
unreleased songs
cover songs
dans songs
daves songs

i wonder what would turn out to be the single most often considered favorite among the folks on the board.

if we did enough polls and then kept polling the results we could reduce it down to one eventually, maybe :)

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

sheryl wrote:closer to the stars is [...] the only song that comes to mind that was actually permanently changed.
Don't forget Stranger!

Actually, I don't know of more than those two either, but I simply assumed that other songs had been changed around as well. Then again, maybe the changes to Stranger don't really count as fundamental like those in Closer To the Stars.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Homesick wrote:
sheryl wrote:closer to the stars is [...] the only song that comes to mind that was actually permanently changed.
Don't forget Stranger!

Actually, I don't know of more than those two either, but I simply assumed that other songs had been changed around as well. Then again, maybe the changes to Stranger don't really count as fundamental like those in Closer To the Stars.
You can't forget the 20th anniversary version of Runaway Train and Never Really Been. Those were reworked fairly significantly. I just wish they'd bust out that version of Runaway Train again.

Phil

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

philipgar wrote:You can't forget the 20th anniversary version of Runaway Train and Never Really Been. Those were reworked fairly significantly. I just wish they'd bust out that version of Runaway Train again.
At the risk of further derailing the thread, I just have to ask: What was different in those versions?
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Well, I looked at my 20th Anniversary Show write-up, and I didn't record anything out of the ordinary for either song, other than 1993 was changed to 2003 for NRB.

Both songs were re-worked for 1998 New Years Eve. For Never Really Been, I wrote that "it had a bluesy feel to it, and Dave didn't even play his guitar."

For Runaway Train, I wrote: Dave still wasn't playing guitar. Dan called out, "anyone who can carry a tune get onstage." So Dan, Kraig, Jessy, and Woody the guitar tech all gathered around a mic and held this sheet of paper. I couldn't even tell it was Runaway Train at first. It had a honky tonk feel to it. Dave sang, "call you up," and the group of four sang, "in the middle of the night." It was like Dave and his backup singers. In the middle, RT got a little closer to the normal sound. Then Dave went over to Kraig, put his arms around Kraig and they started dancing together.

:D

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:Well, I looked at my 20th Anniversary Show write-up, and I didn't record anything out of the ordinary for either song, other than 1993 was changed to 2003 for NRB.

Both songs were re-worked for 1998 New Years Eve. For Never Really Been, I wrote that "it had a bluesy feel to it, and Dave didn't even play his guitar."
As always, Sarah has a much better memory than me (not that I was at either show). Different shows tend to blend together. Was it really new years eve 1998 where they did that? I didn't think it had been over 9 years since than. I guess time flys.

But yeah, the versions of those songs from that show are quite great.

Phil

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I never really thought Stranger was all that different. The only real change is the switchout from the sax to the harmonica, right?
I know they do so many live versions of things but they arent permanently reworked songs.

veering off a little, this reminds me of something i read or heard somewhere about "closer to the stars."

i cant remember which person said it, dan or dave, but it was something about wanting to re-record closer to the stars in it's present form, but being unable to because of the contract they signed when they originally recorded it all of those years ago.
and then someone ELSE told me that part of the reason that "unplugged" was never available for sale was because several of the songs on there fell under that same issue and couldnt be re-recorded in any form other than their original...because the band didn't actually own the rights to the songs anymore.

is there anything to any of this??

sorry for the random turn into something else, but if i dont say these things when i think of them i forget :)
i'm old y'know.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Considering they've released live versions of Closer To The Stars and Never Really been, I doubt that's the case. Also there first contract was with Twin Tone, and I don't think they were the type of record label to own everything. Besides, even if the band didn't own the rights to their own songs, they could legally rerelease them if they paid royalties to the owner of the songs, it's the same way they could record cover songs on their live album.

Personally, I'd love to see a reworked version of Closer To The Stars released. It really is one of those great songs, although I don't know which version I prefer... the all acoustic one, or the acoustic electric ones. Even the "punk rock" version is great, but it really doesn't fit the song as well.

Phil

ps. let's see if we can pull this thread any further off topic
sheryl wrote:veering off a little, this reminds me of something i read or heard somewhere about "closer to the stars."

i cant remember which person said it, dan or dave, but it was something about wanting to re-record closer to the stars in it's present form, but being unable to because of the contract they signed when they originally recorded it all of those years ago.
and then someone ELSE told me that part of the reason that "unplugged" was never available for sale was because several of the songs on there fell under that same issue and couldnt be re-recorded in any form other than their original...because the band didn't actually own the rights to the songs anymore.

is there anything to any of this??

sorry for the random turn into something else, but if i dont say these things when i think of them i forget :)
i'm old y'know.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Homesick wrote:We've come to the final installment in our series of favorite song polls: Time's Incinerator. Although one may argue about whether it is actually an album or not, it does contain enough new songs that it makes sense to include it as well.

The next poll will be the grand finale, where the winning songs of the previous polls will face off in fierce competition in a discography-spanning battle for glory. Until then, be sure to go back and make sure that you have voted in all of the earlier polls so that you're giving your favorites the best chance of reaching the final.
Can't vote on this one. I haven't heard it and haven't been able to track down a copy.

I'm looking forward to the "winner's circle" poll, though.

As for Miss Fitt's concerns: since one huge poll would be too difficult to do, why not have a thread called "What is Your Favorite SA Song Overall?" (but more succinctly worded)? People could just post comments about which song is their favorite (and which version) and why. We wouldn't get a numeric "winner" but we could still get a feel for the "true" overall favorite songs.

And we could still have the fun of voting on the favorite of the favorite polls, even if the songs aren't our favorites. So far as I can tell, I didn't vote for any of the winners of the individual polls, although all the winners are among my three or four favorites from their respective albums. But I'm still looking forward to picking a favorite from among the "winner's circle." :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

crawl
Social Butterfly

Post by crawl »

This is one I don't have :cry: Scot just called from out of town to say he found Say What.. so we finally have them all... guess not.