This is why I hate Detroit

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
zany
Social Butterfly

This is why I hate Detroit

Post by zany »

Can somebody explain the "This is why i hate detroit" reference in this picture? looks like it's pointing at Dave's sneakers that are hanging from his bag... ?
somebody posted it on one of the SA fan pages on facebook.

thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo ... 1453937271

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: This is why I hate Detroit

Post by philipgar »

zany wrote:Can somebody explain the "This is why i hate detroit" reference in this picture? looks like it's pointing at Dave's sneakers that are hanging from his bag... ?
somebody posted it on one of the SA fan pages on facebook.

thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo ... 1453937271

Go Penguins!!!

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Thanks Phil! Penguins won! :)

spodiba
Social Butterfly

Post by spodiba »

Well, I'm just guessing, but maybe whoever wrote that hates Detroit because it's always rainy (I honestly don't know if it is or not rainy there), so instead of that nice sneakers Dave's always wearing (I have a pair of sneakers just like Dave's :D ), he has to wear some other waterproof shoes. And the person who wrote that can relate to Dave because during rainy days in Detroit they're both deprived of their favourite sneakers. OK, this is just rambling :) but during spring and early summer sneakers like these ones are all I wear, all the time, and I really hate when it's rainy and i can't go out in my favourite sneakers.
But, this is just a wild guess

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

Rarely do I leave home without my Red Wings hat; guess who I'm rooting for? Anyone else have the Wings or am I the lone solider?

Won't bore you with the story here; ask me if you run into me at a concert. But; a good friend of mine went to Russia for two weeks last year with Pavel Datsyuk after the Wings won the cup last year.

The stories… :shock:
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Sometime to Return wrote:Rarely do I leave home without my Red Wings hat; guess who I'm rooting for? Anyone else have the Wings or am I the lone solider?
I was a Red Wings fan back when I lived in Detroit for several years. :)

It's not always rainy in Detroit. It's really gray in the winter even when it isn't snowy. The gray lasts from October until May. Very depressing. During the prolonged gray winters, Detroiters speak of Florida with unnatural yearning. That was the main drawback to Detroit for me.

I have no idea why they hate Detroit. I loved it. :D
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I have no idea why dave's sneakers seem to be the reason to hate detroit.

I do understand hating detroit, however.

I hate detroit. I hate, detest, loath and fear detroit.

I went on an urbex/photography trip to detroit right before I moved to New Orleans....y'know..the murder capital of the world?

My first night in detroit we went to the old packard plant..with a bunch of people who pretty much spend their lives there...and all was well, a good time was had by all..until the gunshots started and the bulletts started to ricochet off the INSIDE of the building. We beat it out of there and were chased up the street by sniper fire, eventually hid in the basement of another old abandoned building and then hid there in fear while we listened to people poke around the debris, assuming that they were the shooters. Imagine our relief and humiliation when it turned out that we were hiding from our friends =P

But yeah....being chased by a rain of bullets as you run down the street is not something to cause the heart to grow fond.
I hate detroit.

Sometime to Return
Social Butterfly

Post by Sometime to Return »

The dominate NBA team (around the time the picture is from) was the Detroit Pistons; the “bad boys” of the NBA. Maybe the person who wrote that they hate Detroit was a Lakers or a Celtics fan; who knows.

Congrats to the Pens. Although; I was disappointed the Wings didn’t defend, it was a great game seven. And to win it with Crosby on the bench for almost two periods/ in Detroit, I gotta tip my Red Wings hat to ‘em.
“…I graduate with my PHD in 8-9 months; then I become Dr. Phil.”
A quote from our own..Phil (philipgar)
Gluek's 12/17/2010.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

sheryl wrote: I went on an urbex/photography trip to detroit right before I moved to New Orleans....y'know..the murder capital of the world?

But yeah....being chased by a rain of bullets as you run down the street is not something to cause the heart to grow fond.
I hate detroit.
Well, yeah, there is that. Cars, grime, and crime, that's Detroit for you. :)

Two months after I moved to Detroit (back in the days of the Motor City Bad Boys), a co-worker walked by me waving a newspaper with this headline: "Detroit Per Capita Murder Rate Tops in U.S." As he waved the paper, my co-worker chanted, "We're Number One. We're Number One." He said they'd slipped to number two the year before and was pleased Detroit was back on top.

Another Detroiter said she loved visiting Newark, NJ because it was the only city in which no one backed away from her when she said she was from Detroit. Ah, civic pride!

Then there's Devil's Night, which is the night before Halloween. On Devil's Night, Detroiters go out and burn down abandoned buildings. The first year I was there, there were only 400 fires due to a legal curfew, down from 800 fires on Devil's Night the year before. Fire departments from around the world traveled to Detroit to observe DFD in action.

Then-mayor Coleman Young said that Detroit only had a crime problem because the suburbanites were bringing their guns into the city. I'm not making that up.

Nevertheless, I loved that scary city. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

sheryl wrote: ...right before I moved to New Orleans....y'know..the murder capital of the world?
New Orleans is the murder capital of the United States; it's only about third for the world. ;)

I'm not able to shed any light on the "This is why I hate Detroit" comment either. But my first thought on seeing the photo was that maybe Dave's sneakers were stolen at a show there. I know that's happened before, and it can't fail to leave a bad feeling. I felt embarrassed by my hometown's behavior when I heard Dave's jacket was stolen during a show at the Rat many years ago in Boston. Probably a silly guess, but that was what popped into my head.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden