Candy From A Stranger - 10 Year Anniversary

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
devall2000
Stranger

Re: Candy From A Stranger - 10 Year Anniversary

Post by devall2000 »

Apart from hearing 'I will still be laughing' on the radio. I had never listened to 'Candy from a Stranger' until April of last year. That was about 2 or 3 weeks before I saw them play in Baton Rouge, LA.

The album grew on me, and I like listening to it as a whole. I do think that it was a mistake to release 'close' as a follow up single to 'laughing' because there are a number of better tracks on the album.

Thinking back on it, I had had 'Candy' on my computer for about 6 months prior to listening to it in it's entirety. I had listened to "the game" because I read that it was supposed to be the best SA song ever...(it's not). I also heard 'lies of hate' on shuffle one time and liked that a decent bit.

Does anyone know why "losin' it" and the song "Candy from a Stranger" didn't make it on the album?

-Jamie

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

devall2000 wrote:Does anyone know why "losin' it" and the song "Candy from a Stranger" didn't make it on the album?
-Jamie
Also "Black Star", I believe, and no.... I don't know that. Maybe they thought that those songs didn't fit in with the other songs, but it's not the only album where they left some of the best songs off. I have no idea why "Directions" didn't make it on the Silver Lining. It's such a great song.

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Supposedly a bunch of the songs that were left off the record were rejected by the record company in 1997. So essentially they re-did the album. Some of the rejects were frequently played live in 97 - Losin It, Candy, Black Star. ... Lucky One and Lonely For you would also have been good candidates.

-Rob

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

Closer wrote:
devall2000 wrote:Does anyone know why "losin' it" and the song "Candy from a Stranger" didn't make it on the album?
-Jamie
Also "Black Star", I believe, and no.... I don't know that. Maybe they thought that those songs didn't fit in with the other songs, but it's not the only album where they left some of the best songs off. I have no idea why "Directions" didn't make it on the Silver Lining. It's such a great song.
Oh,
i'd also argue that TSL left off some of the best songs. Freak Accident is one of the best, if not the best SA song ever. I love that one more than I like Black Star, which is really saying a lot. TSL can CFAS could have easily been double albums. So much great material has been lost in the years between 95 and now. I'm sure there have been new songs since TSL, although surprisingly SA hasn't played them at shows yet. Kind of surprising, but I wouldn't be surprised if they bust out some new songs over the summer or something.

Phil

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

philipgar wrote:Oh,
i'd also argue that TSL left off some of the best songs. Freak Accident is one of the best, if not the best SA song ever. I love that one more than I like Black Star, which is really saying a lot. TSL can CFAS could have easily been double albums. So much great material has been lost in the years between 95 and now. I'm sure there have been new songs since TSL, although surprisingly SA hasn't played them at shows yet. Kind of surprising, but I wouldn't be surprised if they bust out some new songs over the summer or something.
Phil
Yeah, Freak Accident is another fine example. But also One Way Conversation and Village Idiot... I don't see why they didn't make it on And the Horse In On, because they are both great songs that easily should have made the album. And from Grave Dancers Union I don't see why the Break didn't make the album. Another great song. I'm sure that there are enough songs I haven't even heard that are good enough to make an album but for some reason never did.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

You know, I don't think The Break would have fit on Grave Dancer's Union at all.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Seeing as Grave Dancers Union was supposed to be an acoustic album at first, I think it fits in more than April Fool, but I don't know... I just like the vocal melody of the verse a lot and it's a fun song.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Well, I'm glad it didn't end up being acoustic- the intro of Somebody to Shove is my favorite part of any song, ever.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

devall2000
Stranger

Post by devall2000 »

Is there a studio version of "Blackstar" floating around anywhere?
-Jamie

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

devall2000 wrote:Is there a studio version of "Blackstar" floating around anywhere?
-Jamie
http://homepage.mac.com/jnavoy/Sites/Black_Star.mp3

From this thread:

http://www.enterthesoulasylum.com/Forum ... ?f=1&t=131