Soul Asylum 10th Album

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Soul Asylum 10th Album

Post by lune ellise »

No no, it's not news - I am just asking if they are planning to release one?
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Re: Soul Asylum 10th Album

Post by Monolith Maniac »

The best answer I can give right now is that your guess is as good as mine. I have heard no news though on any new album. The last thing I really heard was that they had no label. Since the year is still young with concerts in store, there's always a chance for them playing some new material (or bringing back a few older unreleased songs), which is always a good sign though.

If anything, I'm still hoping for another Time's Incinerator-type album full of rarities because there's been a wealth of great stuff in the past 10+ years that would really warrant such an album. :D

I know it isn't much, but thats as much as I can provide; I hope it helps answer your question though.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Monolith Maniac wrote:The last thing I really heard was that they had no label.
WHAT!?!? No LABEL? I'm starting to hate Columbia, although my emotion seems to be groundless. Ugh...

Rarities are fine, I guess, I couldn't say for sure because I do not own such records from SA. I bought something like that from Nirvana, and it's about the worst thing I ever spent my money and time on.

If SA would go for a 10th record, I wish it would be a concept album: what they have been through as musicians is a really fascinating story in the rock scene.
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

lune ellise wrote:
Monolith Maniac wrote:The last thing I really heard was that they had no label.
Rarities are fine, I guess, I couldn't say for sure because I do not own such records from SA. I bought something like that from Nirvana, and it's about the worst thing I ever spent my money and time on.
That's only because you don't own Time's Incinerator ;)

Btw, guess who won the copy that was recently on ebay, fending off two dastardly last-second bids!! :D (After 8 years of looking. I actually almost cried.)

And yeah, another TI type release would be absolutely freaking awesome.
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

lune ellise wrote:Rarities are fine, I guess, I couldn't say for sure because I do not own such records from SA. I bought something like that from Nirvana, and it's about the worst thing I ever spent my money and time on.
Let me rephrase that; what I meant was another compilation album like Time's Incinerator, which would contain B-sides, demos, outtakes, live songs, etc. (which would be rare songs to the regular SA fan). I didn't mean release another album as a limited release which would make it rarity.

If such another compilation album were to be released, I would want it to be released the same way a regular album is. Don't make it only available to a select people where you have to go to a certain store or have to buy it on a Friday between this time and that time cause there are limited quanities. Many of these songs that are unreleased are real gems and should be heard by everyone, not just fans who may be willing to shell out a bunch of cash. It really does suck when you pay for a rarity/limited edition album (like the situation with your Nirvana album) and you end up being disappointed because it doesn't live up to your expectations, and seems like a total waste of time and money. Okay, that sounded like it turned more into a rant, but in the end, I meant a compilation album :)
lune ellise wrote:If SA would go for a 10th record, I wish it would be a concept album: what they have been through as musicians is a really fascinating story in the rock scene.
A concept album does sound interesting, especially considering all the story type songs Dave writes.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Monolith Maniac wrote:A concept album does sound interesting, especially considering all the story type songs Dave writes.
Ah, yes. An album revolving around the same main character or the same event could be a lot of fun, I think.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

lune ellise wrote:Rarities are fine, I guess, I couldn't say for sure because I do not own such records from SA. I bought something like that from Nirvana, and it's about the worst thing I ever spent my money and time on.
Off-Topic Alert: Do you mean Incesticide, which was Nirvana's rarities album, or do you mean a bootleg of middling quality audience recordings of various live songs they never released anywhere? I always thought of Incesticide as the only pure Nirvana album, being that Bleach and Nevermind sound they way they do because of the respective labels that put them out, and In Utero is like, post-celebrity pissed-off Kurt. Many of the songs on Incesticide were actually played quite often in concert, so they must have liked those songs a lot. I suppose you could also have meant the box set they released a couple years ago, which had some other hard-to-find releases, but also had concept demos and rare live stuff that only a hard core fan could appreciate, whatever the quality. But that was intentional. I don't see SA releasing boom-box recordings of the first live performance of Runaway Train or anything like that, but a true rarities compilation of proper studio recordings would be immensely awesome.

-Rob

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Yaz McBoo wrote:Do you mean Incesticide, which was Nirvana's rarities album, or do you mean a bootleg of middling quality audience recordings of various live songs they never released anywhere?
I meant Silver:The Best of the Box. I'm not such a fan of theirs anyway, so I guess the mistake's on me.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Monolith Maniac wrote:I meant a compilation album :)
Oh I meant that, a compilation containing rarities! Well, I do agree with you that a lot has happened in 10 years, and another Time's Incinerator would be a nice compilation album. It wouldn't be their 10th album though - would it? Now I'm confused... :?

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

There is so much unreleased material from SA over the years, but the majority of it is only floating around on concert bootlegs. I know when CFAS was released there were enough songs left off to fill CFAS vol 2 (arguably the better volume), and with TSL, wow, there was a lot of stuff left off. Possibly enough to fill 2 CDs. The guys just have this way of forgetting about some of their best songs. Particularly when they're not recording very often. It used to be that the band released an album every year or two, and now it's down to every 3-8 years. It's not that Dave is writing any less, just that they aren't releasing it. I'm sure even more material has never surfaced outside of Dave's home or whatever as well.

He has so much material it's sick. I've also heard stories of other artists working with Dave, and all the material they did getting tossed aside. I would love to get the chance to go through hours of this material, but I don't really think a lot of it exists, or what does is lost somewhere.

I really think the best copies of much of their material exists only through bootlegs, unfortunately those don't cover songs that have never been played live.

As for a new album, I'd love to have one. I have no clue if the guys would be willing to do one, although it wouldn't surprise me too much. I remember being amazed to see the band carry on and play new live shows after Karl died. I remember thinking the day Karl died that that was the end of the band, but Karl didn't want it that way, and wanted the band to continue on. With that in ind, I wouldn't be surprised to see them release another album to further honor him, although another album wouldn't be the same, as the songs wouldn't be able to be played for him. It's impressive how much of an impact Karl had on the music. He really played an important role, and I'm not sure how the band can work around that.

I personally don't think they'd want to think of making a new album in the next few years, as the idea of recording without Karl would likely be extremely hard to deal with. It's a hard thing for even me to think about, as I have mixed feeling about any SA album without Karl on board, although I guess the saying goes that the show must go on.

Phil