What is your favorite Soul Asylum music video?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

P-9
21%
Artificial Heart
14%
Sometime To Return
7%
Cartoon
4%
Easy Street
No votes
Can't Even Tell
7%
Somebody To Shove
7%
Black Gold
7%
Runaway Train
11%
Without A Trace
4%
Summer of Drugs
No votes
Misery
7%
Promises Broken
No votes
Just Like Anyone
7%
I Will Still Be Laughing
4%

Total votes: 28

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

This featured poll focuses on the 15 music videos that Soul Asylum has released. Out of the 15, which music video is your favorite? Your favorite video doesn't have to necessarily be your favorite song in the list, so keep in mind that you're just voting for the video.

As with a few of the other polls (some of which I still have yet to answer) this was yet another tough one for me to decide. I am going to have to choose Artificial Heart though. I love how the video is shot; great little special effects and many clever camera angles make it a very eerie looking video. From the start of video with the heart beating along to the bass notes, to the sneaky camera angle of the head falling off, and what is supposed to the decapitated head and then blinking is just plain awesome. But the main reason why I love the video is Karl; he really knew how to pull off playing a killer. I don't think the position could have been played better by an actual actor. In the video (and only the video) Karl gives off this strong serial killer vibe (reminiscent of Jeffery Dahmer or Ted Bundy), especially the shots where you see him alone on the bench fixing his hair and collar, as if he's just waiting for someone to come along. The video shows that you don't have to have a great video by having a huge budget (and a lot of expensive cars and girls in bikinis). ;)

Runaway Train comes in at a very close second. I would definitely consider it first if I took into consideration all the help it did for kids/families, but I'm just basing my vote on the video itself not the outcome.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Closer
Social Butterfly

Re: What is your favorite Soul Asylum music video?

Post by Closer »

Sometime To Return. Probably one of the most simple videos they've done but live footage combined with footage of them just hanging out and having fun at different places makes a good video.
I wonder if someone will choose Runaway Train...

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

Some article about the Artificial Heart video: http://www.trumix.com/podshows/2070188

I would put off voting for this poll because I am having a hard time choosing between Runaway Train and Artificial Heart (the ending was AWESOME!). Besides, I have to watch ALL the videos AGAIN.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

P-9 will probably always be my favorite. Dave rocking the baby is just too precious, and the song rocks! Second fave would be Misery, third would be I Will Still Be Laughing (that one would be better if I knew what the joke was).

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

I made my decision! :o (shocker!)

I voted for Runaway Train. I have to admit that the concept is sheer genius in a PR sense. The video is a win-win situation, and the heart-in-sleeve manner it was done (no complicated symbols there) reflects the in-your-face Soul Asylum that we know of.

The story clips are also well directed (by none other than Tony Kaye, director of American History X). It is not corny, and has a right amount of disturbing scenes to catch anyone's attention.

I also like the concept where the band played the song in a tiny room. It created a feeling of seclusion from the world.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Hmmmm........can't decide now. I'll get back to this poll later. :P

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

Too easy, I Will Still Be Laughing. Skates! In July!
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

No real question for me, Artificial Heart has one of the best videos ever. It's just so amusing to watch. The story is so well told, and the effects just make it hilarious. Watching the heart being put together was always great amusement. And of course, Karl played the killer perfectly. Everything with that video just fits so well together.

For second place, it's a tough one, between Laughing, and Misery. I always liked misery because the CD factory thing was pretty awesome to see. As for laughing... but he's wearing skates says it all.

Runaway Train's video was a brilliant marketing idea, but the video does little for me. It has nothing to do with the song, and I guess as it wasn't what got me into the band in the first place, it doesn't have that special place for me.

Phil

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Can't Even Tell got my vote. The guys are having fun playing hockey with the guys from the Clerks movie.

Teenage Sarah and her teenage friends liked the Misery video and ranked the video by "good shot" meaning a shot where we thought the guys were cute and "cool shot" when we got to see the making of cds.

Runaway Train is the video that made me know who the band was. However, I can't watch that video without getting creeped out. I was desensitized to it for awhile when it was on MTV all the time, but if I caught it late at night now I'd probably have to wait awhile to go to sleep.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

sayeeda wrote:Hmmmm........can't decide now. I'll get back to this poll later. :P
I think I recognize that...

I cast my vote on Runaway Train. I don't know if the themes in the video are really what the lyrics are about, but I think it gives so much ambience and emotion to the song.

I agree that Laughing deserves an honorable mention. Skates... in July! Without A Trace is probably their coolest video aesthetically speaking. The video for Artifical Heart coupled with the song creeped me out the first few times I heard it--not to say that it isn't awesome.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com