His Holeyness

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Re: His Holeyness

Post by dells »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
dells wrote:My very favorite onstage "Davism" was when he used to do that whole body vibration "spasm" thingy during Shove, it used to happen often during the line where he kinda stutters the word Shove : I want somebody to sh-sh-sh-SHOVE me!

So if anyone out there has a bookmark or Favorite to a clip with that in it, please share the link. I would be infinately greatful!

dells
This is probably my first and possibly my last post in this thread; I thought I could go without posting anything but the time has come to put that to an end.

But this is the best "Dave spasm thingy" I could find; from their Saturday Night Live performance.

I just put them in a quick compilation so you can watch it over, and over, and over. :P

(I still can't believe I've been following this whole thread... :roll:)
Awe..... Thanks Jim!!!! I am very humbled and honored that my desperate quest (so unbelievable that apparently there isn't a single vid currently existing on YouTube that shows such a historically common part of Dave's stage personality) to find a video record of Dave's "spasm thingy" not only inspired you to break down and give in to posting here with us in the raciest thread on the site, but you even went out of your way to put together a compilation of several vibrating moments :D. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Of course, I know that you mostly took on this project to share and preserve a very important part of Dave's onstage personality that helps make their live shows exciting and fun for all the fans, both male and female. and I also realize that Dave's vibrating moments when he's literally "possessed" by the music are just simply a cool rock 'n' roll moment for most, but, FOR ME..., a possessed, vibrating, spasming Dave is, um..., so much more than just a cool rock'n'roll stage antic..., um yeah..., 'nough said ;P

dells

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
This is probably my first and possibly my last post in this thread; I thought I could go without posting anything but the time has come to put that to an end.

But this is the best "Dave spasm thingy" I could find; from their Saturday Night Live performance.

I just put them in a quick compilation so you can watch it over, and over, and over. :P

(I still can't believe I've been following this whole thread... :roll:)

Weeeellll, as a forum moderator, 'course you would. :P

But don't mind too much though. Your efforts are definitely appreciated.

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:All this talk about Somebody to Shove videos reminds me of when my friend used to tape videos off MTV, long ago before Youtube (I eventually did too, but got started later). We'd only heard of SA for a few months and we were watching one of the alternative rock video programs on MTV:

Me: Hey, cool, the Somebody to Shove video's on.
Friend: (silence)
Me: Hello...hello?

My friend dropped the phone so she could go tape the video. :) I think her comments afterward would have fit in this thread perfectly.
I understand how she feels. After I belatedly saw the Shove video for the first time, my first coherent thought was, "Still photos do NOT do that man justice."

'Nuff said. :D
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Okay, Sarah, Sheryl, Sayeeda, and even Jim (if you dare :P ), it's time for you to 'fess up. What are your favorite "onstage Daveisms" (to borrow Dells' phrase)?

Please show and tell. :)

P.S. Jim, thanks for the clip. It was fun to watch.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I don't think I have one.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:Okay, Sarah, Sheryl, Sayeeda, and even Jim (if you dare :P ), it's time for you to 'fess up. What are your favorite "onstage Daveisms" (to borrow Dells' phrase)?

Please show and tell. :)

P.S. Jim, thanks for the clip. It was fun to watch.
I miss watching Karl run in fear when dave started to swing his guitar around after just like anyone (I think Tommy might attack back if Dave swings it too close).... Not sure if that counts though.

Phil

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

philipgar wrote:I miss watching Karl run in fear when dave started to swing his guitar around after just like anyone (I think Tommy might attack back if Dave swings it too close).... Not sure if that counts though.

Phil
Of course it counts, Phil!! Thanks for participating and sharing one of your favorite parts of what make/made SA live shows exciting and fun for you. And nice that you expanded the scope to include the cause & effect dynamic that happens when Dave's frenetic energy interacts(collides?, lol) with the other members. I think you might be right about Tommy, and that would be fun to see how he reacts. :)

I'm actually kinda surprised that no one's mentioned the special moment in Black Gold where Dave and Dan both play on their knees facing each other. Such a personal moment between two guitar gods and, of course, they're quick to dispel any "sentimental mushiness" by giving each other the occassional shove at other points in the show.

dells

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

Don't know if I can actually explain this corrrectly, but I kind of like the little moves he makes when he's boppin' around in concert doing the fancy guitar picks in "Whatcha need" and how he kind of lunges side to side with his head back and forth during "All is Well"

During Oxygen, he also does that "before and behind" you move that I think is pretty entertaining.

Then again, what's NOT entertaining??? The whole energy he gives off on a good night is just contagious....
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

Here's a few that have always made me smile and are classic Dave moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Fx0RWo ... annel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx26NGh- ... annel_page

sayeeda
Social Butterfly

Post by sayeeda »

I don't know if this counts but...I love the way he plays that guitar intro at the start of Oxygen in the live shows. I also love the big goofy grin he has on his face...it's infectious! :D

Also, this probably won't count as a Daveism but one of my favorite moments was from last year's St. John's Block Party with Dave and Dan on their knees on either side of Eli, all playing their guitars during Stand Up and Be Strong. Gaaah! I wish I'd gotten a pic of that!

So frustrated. Get up anyway.
So complicated. Changes every day.

So the darkness fades
And the light, will come shining through.