His Holeyness

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
nikki
Stranger

Re: His Holeyness

Post by nikki »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:One of my favorite clips to watch is the footage of the 1993 MTV Spring Break performance of April Fool. I mean, it's genius.
I have always been quite fond of the 93 Spring Break too. I was all of 12 when it first aired.... :twisted:

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

sheryl wrote:That particular Spring Break concert is the one that sent me screaming for the hills. Somewhere, I know, there is footage of a crazed girl climbing OVER PEOPLES HEADS to get out of the front row and away from the crazy twitchy scary frontman.
Of course NOW I watch footage from that show and think "Wow. That was hot. Girl, what kinda shit were you smokin'?" which of course was the problem after all. Probably the same shit the crazy twitchy scary frontman was!

But you're absolutley right. He somehow manages to be completely tatty and unbelievably sexy all at the same time and I have no idea how he did it.
I read this story on another thread back when I was still just "eavesdropping." I thought you were the one who told it.

By the time I read it, I'd already had my "conversion" experience via the videos, so I thought,"Is she out of her mind? I'd cheerfully knock people down just to get TO Dave!" ;)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

no1rockfan wrote:You've got to admit, Dave does encourage this behavior. And probably gets a kick out of it himself. :lol:
See, I've suspected that, too. (I mean, it's not like he doesn't know where the holes in his pants are when he puts them on.)

As some of us have discussed elsewhere, Dave is not what you'd call classically handsome and many of us were immune to his charms for years.

Yet, he has women from all over the country obsessed with his pants. (I believe psychologists call this displacement.)

In an old interview, Dave was once quoted as saying that in high school he was an outcast and that the other kids thought he was a freak. So, it must be gratifying to see the effect he has created on his female fans. And why shouldn't he enjoy it? :)

Dave has stealth sex appeal. You love Soul Asylum. You love the music. You really love the lyrics. But you don't consider Dave particularly attractive.

Then one year, you look up at a 15-year old video and think, "Oh, my GOD! He is so HOT! How did I not notice this?"

Then you see him live. He's 15 years older. He's cut off that wild hair. And you think, "Oh, my GOD! He is STILL so HOT!" And that's even before he starts wiggling his hips. ;)

And the next thing you know, you can't stop talking about his holey jeans. :D

The man's a freaking genius on so many levels.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

GraveDancer
Runaway

Post by GraveDancer »

Kevin Pirner and Dave Bacon - switched at birth??

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

GraveDancer wrote:Kevin Pirner and Dave Bacon - switched at birth??
I've always thought that. Anyone ever mention this to Dave? :lol:

About Dave being a genius... I kind of freaked him out once by telling him no one could get inside his mind. But yeah, he's real aware of what's going on, believe me!

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

GraveDancer wrote: Image
This photo is quite, ahm.... suggestive... SORRY SORRY :oops: :oops: :oops:
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

lune ellise wrote:
This photo is quite, ahm.... suggestive... SORRY SORRY :oops: :oops: :oops:
I think i've seen enough shows that seeing dave and dan do that just doesn't phase me. They've always shared microphones on certain songs, and it works really well.

Of course, it's highly amusing to see Dan try and do that with members of the Golden Smog when they aren't expecting it. . .

Phil

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

philipgar wrote:
lune ellise wrote:
They've always shared microphones on certain songs, and it works really well.
I agree, it's quite effective. Nothing wrong with them sharing the mic, really... It's just... the angle of this particular picture... :lol:

I'm eating my heart out reading all of your reviews of the recent Soul Asylum shows. Oh, how I wish I could see them! Maybe if I can save enough money... :mrgreen: I hope Dave still wear those pants...
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

I have pretty much been under Dave's spell since the 1st time I laid eyes on him in Runaway Train back in 1992, and then my husband introduced me to the rest of there music and I have been in love ever since! But I've always had a thing for guys who had that grunge look going on like Dave did back then, him and Kurt Cobain...yummy.. And there is just something about a guy who has long hair!
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

speaking of which, his hair's on it's way to long again....