His Holeyness

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Re: His Holeyness

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

dells wrote:I know what Daveism I want to post, so now I just gotta go in search for a good example of it, Thanks for giving me some "homework" ...

Off to search YouTube...

dells
Ah-hem. Dells, have you forgotten something? Don't you have something you'd like to share with the class? When were you planning to turn in your "homework," young lady? ;)

P.S. Did you really not see that quick expression at the 1:22 mark? :shock:
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Haha!!! Never shall this thread be allowed to die!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

dells
Social Butterfly
Location: rural Richardton, North Dakota. A/K/A the hind end of nowhere

Post by dells »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:
dells wrote:I know what Daveism I want to post, so now I just gotta go in search for a good example of it, Thanks for giving me some "homework" ...

Off to search YouTube...

dells
Ah-hem. Dells, have you forgotten something? Don't you have something you'd like to share with the class? When were you planning to turn in your "homework," young lady? ;)

P.S. Did you really not see that quick expression at the 1:22 mark? :shock:
I didn't forget, but, sadly, I've been unsuccessful in finding even a mediocre example of what I was looking for :(

My very favorite onstage "Davism" was when he used to do that whole body vibration "spasm" thingy during Shove, it used to happen often during the line where he kinda stutters the word Shove : I want somebody to sh-sh-sh-SHOVE me!

Does YouTube only return a limited number of search results? Because I've watched every Shove clip that came up when I searched YouTube, and didn't find a single one that captured that particular reaction, which is weird, because he used to do it often and I know I've seen it on screen before as well as in person.
So if anyone out there has a bookmark or Favorite to a clip with that in it, please share the link. I would be infinately greatful!

dells

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

dells i think i know what you mean.... there's this clip where he does something close to what you are saying, but i don't think it 's exactly it - but you tell me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3upDVAW ... re=related
at 2:40

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

Ummmm well, you've definately got the right idea, Nicole, you know what I'm looking for. However, although it's better than any of the clips I found, that particular performance is a very abreviated version of what he used to do all the time. Kinda like he just didn't "feel" & physically express the bottled up energy building like usual during that entire line, and tried to "manually" fit it in almost like "Opps! I didn't do my thing here" (as opposed to it being his normally natural physical expression of the tension building in the song), and only had time to vibrate his legs before the kinetic energy erupted into the ending spasm (climax?) at the usual point where the energy always released in the past.

But even as unnaturally "forced" as it seems here, it's still a hint of what I wanted to find, and so I thank you very much for helping me try to find my favorite live Davism.

dells

dells
Social Butterfly

Post by dells »

O.K. I did rediscover another occassion where Dave often seems to naturally vibrate, although this song doesn't cause the vibrations to erupt in an explosive spasm (climax, :P), like in Shove:

During this clip of Runaway Train,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYIG3aJz ... re=related
you can tell that he's vibrating from "Like a madman laughing at the rain" through "dealing with the pain" but it's a really tight closeup, so you only get to see his face vibrating, but if you've seen the Shove "fit" I mean, this will bring back visions of a fully vibrating Dave :P

Dave begins vibrating at about 2:52. I suppose one could say Dave "shudders", but "vibrates" just seems to be more accurate. :D

IMO I think Dave's vibrating reactions are usually natural physical reactions caused by different things in each song.

In Shove, I think it's from Dave fully immersing himself in the energy dynamics of the song and physically expressing the buildup of the song's tension and the release of all that energy (thus the "spasm" that brakes him out of vibrating), while in Runaway Train, it's mostly from self-concious nerves during that particularly emotional part of the song.

O.K. It's beyond obvious how obcessed I am with a vibrating, emotional Dave, lol, so I'll shut up now. :D

dells

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Dells, I checked for you, but I couldn't find a great live example of that vibrating move Dave does in "Shove."

I'm going to have to post some videos we've already posted earlier so Nicole can see what you mean.

There's a so-so example at the 2:44 mark in the Spring Break performance of Shove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzmhSnbW ... re=channel

But the best example I could find was in the "official" video:

http://www.enterthesoulasylum.com/disco ... y_to_shove

There's a mini-vibration at the 1:22 mark, but then the full effect starts at 2:53.

There's something for just about all of us in this video. The hair-scrubbing gesture that I like is at 1:45, the hair gesture that Nicole likes (I think) is at 2:07, Dave's bicep are in full view, which Rusty likes, and Dan is standing in the water, which Fritzi likes. Also, I like the way Dave scrubs his guitar and then goes into a spin beginning at 2:58.

I may have watched this video a few too many times. :oops:

God, I need to see a live show soon. :roll:
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

All this talk about Somebody to Shove videos reminds me of when my friend used to tape videos off MTV, long ago before Youtube (I eventually did too, but got started later). We'd only heard of SA for a few months and we were watching one of the alternative rock video programs on MTV:

Me: Hey, cool, the Somebody to Shove video's on.
Friend: (silence)
Me: Hello...hello?

My friend dropped the phone so she could go tape the video. :) I think her comments afterward would have fit in this thread perfectly.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

He does that all the time.

sometimes it looks like he did it on purpose, sometimes he looks like it just kinda happened. tim's got a clip of cartoon that shows it right at the end.

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

dells wrote:My very favorite onstage "Davism" was when he used to do that whole body vibration "spasm" thingy during Shove, it used to happen often during the line where he kinda stutters the word Shove : I want somebody to sh-sh-sh-SHOVE me!

So if anyone out there has a bookmark or Favorite to a clip with that in it, please share the link. I would be infinately greatful!

dells
This is probably my first and possibly my last post in this thread; I thought I could go without posting anything but the time has come to put that to an end.

But this is the best "Dave spasm thingy" I could find; from their Saturday Night Live performance.

I just put them in a quick compilation so you can watch it over, and over, and over. :P

(I still can't believe I've been following this whole thread... :roll:)
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com