What song would you like to hear SA cover?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

What song would you like to hear SA cover?

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

Obviously, Soul Asylum has a reputation for doing great cover songs.

Chains, Rhinestone Cowboy, Gone ‘Til November, To Sir With Love, and Summer of Drugs are just outstanding performances and great examples of how they can take a song -- even an iconic one -- and totally make it their own.

Is there a song that you think would sound great done (or just be fun to hear!) by Soul Asylum?

I’ll begin by throwing out a totally goofy one.

I think they would do a great "Rock and Roll Love Letter" by the Bay City Rollers. I think it would be awesome, silly fun, but I also think they would totally rock the song. I can picture their guitars playing that opening riff, and this line is totally Dave:

"I need to spend my body, I’m a music making man. And no page can release it like this amplifier can."

And if all of you who are obsessed with the holes in Dave's pants want to hear the line, "Gonna keep on rock and rolling 'til my genes explode" as "til my jeans explode"...well, that's your prerogative. ;)
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Re: What song would you like to hear SA cover?

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Miss Fitt 2 wrote:And if all of you who are obsessed with the holes in Dave's pants want to hear the line, "Gonna keep on rock and rolling 'til my genes explode" as "til my jeans explode"...well, that's your prerogative. ;)
Some of his jeans look like they already have. ;)

I'll have to think about what I'd like to hear that they haven't already covered.

As far as previous covers, I'd love to hear them play Sexual Healing sometime. I've only ever heard the recording of the Grand Forks prom performance of it. There's a lot of that great voice-cracking. Toward the end when Dave croaks out the lines, "I need sexual healing," he sounds as if he really might die if he doesn't get laid in the next ten minutes. :) It's kind of fun.
Last edited by CrazyLittleWoman on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

"Delilah" of Tom Jones
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

"Convoy".

Don't ask.

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

You'll probably think this sounds dumb, but I think it would be fun to hear them cover "What You Own" from RENT. Dave could sing Mark's part and Dan could sing Roger's part.

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

AlyssaJones wrote:You'll probably think this sounds dumb, but I think it would be fun to hear them cover "What You Own" from RENT. Dave could sing Mark's part and Dan could sing Roger's part.
I'm not familiar with this song, but my sister is. I read this post to her, and she said based on the song and what she's seen at the concerts I dragged her to, this could indeed be very funny.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

"Living La Vida Loca." Imagine the hip-wiggling possibilities.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I can't think of any particular cover I'd want to hear, but the best part is the completely unexpected covers that tend to be a sign of SA's career. From Sexual Healing to Gone Till November and Waterfalls, they just choose songs so different from their own, and make them their own.

I particularly love some of their medlys. Some are just so out there. I'd love to hear more of these. Off the top of my head, they've had James at 16, the Midnight Medley, the Hoot Medley, the Elvis Medley, and countless made to be broken medleys.

The songs chosen are always songs that you just wouldn't think of them doing. They have a lot in common with the 'mats in that regard.

I guess if I could think of any particular song I'd like to hear them play, I might have to go with a Big Star song, or even Chris Bell's I Am The Cosmos. I've heard enough bands cover these, and they always work well.

Phil

GraveDancer
Runaway

Post by GraveDancer »

:geek: elvis costello - watching the detectives

Hall And Oates - It's A Laugh :roll:

bruce - born to run

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Agreed, I could never have imagined them doing most of the covers they do. But they seem so appropriate in retrospect. I think they could pull off Suspicious Minds by Elvis. Of stuff they have done in years past but I haven't heard in person, well, I vote for Chevy Van. Do Anything You Wanna Do would be nice too....Rhiannon...One Tin Soldier....