the story behind gone til november

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
mikeage
Marionette

the story behind gone til november

Post by mikeage »

i'm sure this has been posted before so sorry for the repeat.

who knows the story of how sa hooked up with wyclef in the first place?

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Re: the story behind gone til november

Post by philipgar »

I'm pretty sure Dave just liked the song, and they started playing it in concerts around 1998. The version with Wyclef was at the .... crap, im blanking on the name of the show... I think it was a VH1 series similar to MTVs unplugged... I can't remember if Wyclef was there at the same time, or they managed to get him to come out for their appearance. Personally, I think I'm a bigger fan of the SA only version, the two singers don't tend to meld that great, but it was really cool to have him come on for a guest appearance, similar to getting lulu for To Sir With Love (another song I'd like to see them bring back).

Phil

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

philipgar wrote:...crap, im blanking on the name of the show... I think it was a VH1 series similar to MTVs unplugged...
It was called Hard Rock Live (played at one of the Hard Rock Hotels or Cafes). SA played 3 songs for the television performance: I Will Still Be Laughing, Close, and Gone 'Til November. I've also wondered if Wyclef was scheduled for his own performance or just stopped by especially for the song, because Soul Asylum's performance (which aired June 3, 1998) included a few songs by Ani DiFranco.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

philipgar wrote:I'm pretty sure Dave just liked the song, and they started playing it in concerts around 1998. The version with Wyclef was at the .... crap, im blanking on the name of the show... I think it was a VH1 series similar to MTVs unplugged... I can't remember if Wyclef was there at the same time, or they managed to get him to come out for their appearance. Personally, I think I'm a bigger fan of the SA only version, the two singers don't tend to meld that great, but it was really cool to have him come on for a guest appearance, similar to getting lulu for To Sir With Love (another song I'd like to see them bring back).

Phil
I love it when they have other artists join them, especially when Dave's a fan. Even if their singing styles don't especially mesh, it's so cool to see him so excited by singing with someone you know he admires. I used to laugh because his whole demeanor was always kind of "Oh my gosh, look!" and he seemed completely oblivious to the fact that people also felt that way about HIM :)

FnSquirrel
Marionette

Post by FnSquirrel »

The Lou Reed/ Soul Asylum version of Sweet Jane Rocks Butt!

How about SA & Dixie Chicks?

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

sheryl wrote:
philipgar wrote:I'm pretty sure Dave just liked the song, and they started playing it in concerts around 1998. The version with Wyclef was at the .... crap, im blanking on the name of the show... I think it was a VH1 series similar to MTVs unplugged... I can't remember if Wyclef was there at the same time, or they managed to get him to come out for their appearance. Personally, I think I'm a bigger fan of the SA only version, the two singers don't tend to meld that great, but it was really cool to have him come on for a guest appearance, similar to getting lulu for To Sir With Love (another song I'd like to see them bring back).

Phil
I love it when they have other artists join them, especially when Dave's a fan. Even if their singing styles don't especially mesh, it's so cool to see him so excited by singing with someone you know he admires. I used to laugh because his whole demeanor was always kind of "Oh my gosh, look!" and he seemed completely oblivious to the fact that people also felt that way about HIM :)
Well put. Part of what I love about this clip (aside from the song itself) is how knocked out Dave seemed to be at singing the song with Wyclef. He's almost deferential. It's really cute.

I also like the contrast in the way they perform this song. Wyclef is like a pirate who can't wait to get out the door. You can almost imagine him saying, "You knew this was the deal. What are you crying about?" Meanwhile, Dave is playing the tender romantic for whom parting is such sweet sorrow.

I always imagine Wyclef's pirate would roll up on her doorstep on November 28th saying, "WHAT? It's November!" Whereas, Dave's romantic would turn up on her doorstep bright and early on November 1st with aphrodisiacs at the ready, just in case she's still upset with him for taking off in the first place.

Okay, maybe I'm reading a little too much into it all. I love stories. Sue me. :)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

CrazyLittleWoman wrote:
sheryl wrote:

Phil
Well put. Part of what I love about this clip (aside from the song itself) is how knocked out Dave seemed to be at singing the song with Wyclef. He's almost deferential. It's really cute.

I also like the contrast in the way they perform this song. Wyclef is like a pirate who can't wait to get out the door. You can almost imagine him saying, "You knew this was the deal. What are you crying about?" Meanwhile, Dave is playing the tender romantic for whom parting is such sweet sorrow.

I always imagine Wyclef's pirate would roll up on her doorstep on November 28th saying, "WHAT? It's November!" Whereas, Dave's romantic would turn up on her doorstep bright and early on November 1st with aphrodisiacs at the ready, just in case she's still upset with him for taking off in the first place.

Okay, maybe I'm reading a little too much into it all. I love stories. Sue me. :)
:shock:
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Hey, Judge, why :shock: ?

Did I say something wrong? :?
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

mikeage
Marionette

Post by mikeage »

crazylittlewoman, i like your take on the song and perfomance.

my question is more of how sa even started playing the song, the fact that it was just randomly picked as a cover cuz dave liked it seems kinda weird, at the the time wyclef's version was still a popular song, seems like a strange choice by sa. and ya, how they actual performance together came about would be interesting to hear.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

mikeage wrote:crazylittlewoman, i like your take on the song and perfomance.

my question is more of how sa even started playing the song, the fact that it was just randomly picked as a cover cuz dave liked it seems kinda weird, at the the time wyclef's version was still a popular song, seems like a strange choice by sa. and ya, how they actual performance together came about would be interesting to hear.
The fact that it was popular didn't really stop the guys. At the same time (98) the band was also known to throw waterfalls into their set, and I'd argue that was an even more popular song. I think for most of their history, SA was likely to do covers of songs from the 70s, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't mix it up. They were known to throw in an occasional Cars song back in the 80s, or even their classic take of "smells like teenage wildthing". It's hard to say why they gave gone till november so much staying power I guess. Most covers get played a handful of times and then forgotten (How do you sleep, to mother you, etc). Gone Till November was kind of taken and made their own (although nowhere near to the extent that they took Summer of Drugs and made it their own).

Phil