Dan the Man (his open-y shirt-y -ness)

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Re: Dan the Man (spinoff to His Holeyness)

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

Dave and Dan did moon the audience briefly at the 20th anniversary show at First Avenue in November 2001. I think it was them, but it happened so fast. I know I saw two bare white asses though.

Now the mooning questions can be put to rest.

no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Post by no1rockfan »

Homesick wrote:Slightly off-topic, but how was Karl viewed in the band's heyday? The impression I've always gotten of him is that he kept kind of a low profile in the looks department and was more of a joker in the band, appearing humorously on Clam Dip and in Artificial Heart, for example. My mental images of Dave and Dan are pretty clear, but Karl seems to look different from one photo to another. Still, my main impression is that he could have been the band's girl fantasy without a problem if he had wanted to. Any thoughts on that?
I copied my reply from the Dave thread here to answer your question.
no1rockfan wrote:
lune ellise wrote:All this Dave fanaticisms make me feel that I'm the odd one out! :ugeek: Seriously, am I the only girl here who thinks that someone in the band is more appealing than Dave?
I don't know about more appealing, but Karl was very cute in his younger days. Dan's got beautiful eyes and a great personality. They're just a great bunch of guys!

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Several months back, I showed this picture of the band to a friend (who barely knows who Soul Asylum are) and asked her who she'd rather be stranded on a desert island with. To my surprise—and this will seem crazy to all the fangirls out there—she replied that she'd rather not choose anyone. I pressed her for an answer, though, and she ultimately went for Grant: "He looks like a nice guy; he could probably fix me up a fire and shelter." :)

Which begs the question: Who would you rather be stranded on a desert island with?

Oh, man... I promised myself I wouldn't get tied up in this thread. ;)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Sónia
Marionette

Post by Sónia »

Homesick wrote:
Which begs the question: Who would you rather be stranded on a desert island with?
I pick Dave.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

yeah as embarrassing as it is to admit here... stranded-island-with-dave was actually a daydream i had when i was 12/13 ... funny you put it that way. and your friend is crazy. she can make herself a fire - that's not what they're there for on the island!! sheesh. i bet she was just into you and didn't want to tell you about her stranded island dreams with other guys.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

Homesick wrote:Which begs the question: Who would you rather be stranded on a desert island with?
Whichever one would taste the best. If it ever came to it I would become a cannibal, though I'd imagine that no matter what they wouldn't taste that good. I'd probably go with the one that scared me the least. Yes, I am in fact scared of Dan. Yet another fear of mine, so I'd probably go with Karl or Dave. I still find it weird that anyone would describe Dave as scary seeing as he's on of the few people that I listen to that doesn't scare me. Believe it or not, there are more people that I'm scared of.
Just saying, I have no desire to be trapped on a desert island with anyone and I'm only responding to this question because I'm bored. I don't think that I've ever had a celebrity crush before, so like I said, I'd probably try to kill them, not that I would be able to, though. Maybe they'd let me kill them. I'm sorry, those thoughts are a bit morbid, but it is survival of the fittest.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

have you recently watched the movie 'alive' or something?
there's lots of fruit and water and fish to eat on my desert island.

your answer reminds me of this scene in the office where they're playing 'desert island ' and all are supposed to say the 5 books they'd want if they were on a desert island and Dwight says the name of some medical reference book ... with the pages torn out to store a knife and some supplies.

you're probably lucky to not have celeb. crushes.. they can drive you nuts. i ended up ok but i had plenty of people-i-know-in-real-life crushes too. kinda boy crazy in general (if you can't already tell from my posts...)

sorry you're scared of dan...

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

zany wrote:have you recently watched the movie 'alive' or something?
there's lots of fruit and water and fish to eat on my desert island.

your answer reminds me of this scene in the office where they're playing 'desert island ' and all are supposed to say the 5 books they'd want if they were on a desert island and Dwight says the name of some medical reference book ... with the pages torn out to store a knife and some supplies.

you're probably lucky to not have celeb. crushes.. they can drive you nuts. i ended up ok but i had plenty of people-i-know-in-real-life crushes too. kinda boy crazy in general (if you can't already tell from my posts...)

sorry you're scared of dan...
Never heard of it before. I just looked it up and it's actually rated R. I haven't actually seen that many R rated movies or any movies in general. Anyway, I may not have celebrity crushes, but I have had a few other crushes. Luckily, I'm not one to wear my heart on my sleeve, so I don't think that I'm that easy to figure out.
I've got plenty of fears, don't feel sorry. Lots of irrational fears.
I'll revise my answer if you don't like it. I'd still want to be stuck with Karl or Dave, but I'd probably keep to myself.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

nah your original answer was thoughtful.
ugh i wish i was relaxing on an island right now - but one with drink service on the beach. ahhhh.
i've had Gullible's travels in my head all day - it was the last song playing when i turned my car off this morning and it's driving me a little nuts.

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

Sónia wrote:
Homesick wrote:
I pick Dave.
Oddly enough, I don't pick Dave :) I feel like if Dave and I were stranded, alone, on an island, it would be a very very short time before there was only one of us left on said island. A rescue boat would pull up to find one of us, and it's hard to say who, standing over the other one, holding them under till the bubbles stopped with one hand, and flagging down the boat with the other.

I'd pick Karl. He was my crush back in the 90's :) Don't I love bass players, yes indeed. And I thought he was adorable.