Which Soul Asylum albums are available on vinyl?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
no1rockfan
O'Jeezer

Which Soul Asylum albums are available on vinyl?

Post by no1rockfan »

A friend asked me this. I had never thought of it, because I got into them in the Horse/GDU period, and those were on CD.

I do own a 12" of Standing In The Doorway and a 7" of Cartoon.

Which full albums are on vinyl?

Should we just list everything that's on vinyl?

zany
Social Butterfly

Re: Which Soul Asylum albums are available on vinyl?

Post by zany »

i have no idea of the answer but i did notice on this website's discography for all the albums it lists which formats they were released in so you can probably use that to compile the list.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

I'm pretty sure everything was released on vinyl except for The Silver Lining. There are a few differences from the CD versions than what was released on vinyl (say what you will for instance).

Phil

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

zany wrote:i have no idea of the answer but i did notice on this website's discography for all the albums it lists which formats they were released in so you can probably use that to compile the list.
Zany's right; you can view what formats are available for the albums here, and for the singles here.
philipgar wrote:I'm pretty sure everything was released on vinyl except for The Silver Lining.

Phil
That's correct; only The Silver Lining wasn't available on vinyl. If it was available I think I would probably be going on my second copy of it now. :)

Also an interesting note about Soul Asylum's albums on vinyl; which is definitely unique:

Instead of each album having their sides labeled Side A and Side B (or 1/one and 2/two), Soul Asylum has all their sides labeled in numerical order. Say What You Will... is Side 1 and 2, Made To Be Broken is side 3 and 4 going up to side 15 and 16 on Let Your Dim Light Shine (though I believe Candy was omitted from doing this; it just says Side one and two).
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

The cassettes had the numerical labeling too.

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I remember reading somewhere that Dave actually asked for a personal copy of The Silver Lining on vinyl because he wasn't used to albums being released on just CD. Now that would be a trophy to own if there ever were one! ;)
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Kradokk
Runaway

Post by Kradokk »

Now I could be wrong, but I thought GDU was only released on Vinyl outside the US?

I think its the only one I don't have on vinyl...

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

Kradokk wrote:Now I could be wrong, but I thought GDU was only released on Vinyl outside the US?

I think its the only one I don't have on vinyl...
While writing my answer I kinda discovered that your question can be looked at two ways; so I'm not sure if you mean was GDU only available on vinyl outside the US (having a lack of CD and cassette formats), or if the US never got a vinyl version (only having CD, cassette, and MiniDisc; which was what I thought you were initally asking).

I'll try to answer both.

I know for a fact that other countries got CD and cassette versions. You can see a Japan CD for sale here on eBay.

As far as the US not having a vinyl version (if that's what you're referring to):

I didn't hear of SA until 1997, but I'm almost positive it was available on vinyl in the US. I've seen many copies of GDU vinyls in the used album stores, and I highly doubt they're all imports. I know I've seen some promotional items (made for the US) that say something along the lines of:

Grave Dancers Union
Soul Asylum's new breakthrough album...
Featuring the smash hits Somebody To Shove and Black Gold
Now Available on Compact Disc, Cassette, and Vinyl (or might say LP)

Hope one of my replies above answers your actual question; let me know which one it was that you were referring to.

On a related note about used CD/record stores, it seems that Grave Dancers Union and Horse (at least in my area) hold the record for most used CD copies available (unfortunately :( ). There's probably at least 7 or 8 copies of each album, whereas other artists have maybe 4 or 5.
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

Monolith Maniac wrote:
I know for a fact that other countries got CD and cassette versions. You can see a Japan CD for sale here on eBay.
Yeah, of course. It's their best selling album worldwide so it would be odd if wasn't released on CD and cassette outside of the US.
I don't know if this is rare, but I also have a 1998 release of GDU combined with the Insomniac's Dream EP on CD format.

Kradokk
Runaway

Post by Kradokk »

Thanks Jim.

Yeah, I meant that in my experience, the US did not get a vinyl release. I never had any problem finding the others on Vinyl, but never saw GDU at any store. The ones I see on ebay are usually from another country, so I just kind of wondered if that was what happened. I guess it doesnt make much sense, considering all the promo vinyl I have from GDU, but I dont have the actual album.