Which Soul Asylum songs cheer you up?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: Which Soul Asylum songs cheer you up?

Post by AlyssaJones »

mystic_spiral_3 wrote:You can function on 45 minutes of sleep if you nurse three 24-ounce bottles of Mountain Dew.

Note I did not say function _well_, just function. And I hope you never have to rely on Mountain Dew like that. It was not fun.
ha ha. Mountain Dew is always my go-to beverage when I have to pull an all nighter.

stuck_in_the_90s
Social Butterfly

Post by stuck_in_the_90s »

My global history teacher was just telling my class about how he took a caffeine pill once and then drank a soda to help him study! He ended up bouncing off the walls and didn't get a moment of studying fit into his schedule.
If I'm ever running late on a project(and I'm guessing I'll get a lot of things said to me about procrastination because it's one of my bad habits) I wake up at three in the morning the day that the project is due and finish it. I tend to work better under pressure and I've only done this twice. Once last year on a collage/essay and once in seventh grade on an online project. Both times I ended up with A's.
I think that I have decided on a song that cheers me up. April Fool. Don't know why, but that song was the first song that really stuck out to me on Grave Dancers Union and I love to sing it. I sang that along with String of Pearls when I lost some pictures of my cat, Tony. Really helped me coped, although it was my own fault that I lost the pictures.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

philipgar wrote:Hope finals go well! Good luck with that
Thanks Phil. 1 week to go for Finals to end (although the major subjects are all done and I have met all the deadlines successfully).
mystic_spiral_3 wrote:You can function on 45 minutes of sleep if you nurse three 24-ounce bottles of Mountain Dew.
I abuse beverage, too! I am not drinking Mountain Dew, though. My preferred drink is Gatorade Lime. With that drink, I can sleep for 2 hours and still retain about 80% performance for 2 weeks. :ugeek:

OK - I'm going to sleep now... AT LAST!
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

GraveDancer
Runaway

Post by GraveDancer »

coming home today i was blasting creatures of habit - and it put me in a great mood for some reason.

it sounds so good cranked.

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

GraveDancer wrote:coming home today i was blasting creatures of habit - and it put me in a great mood for some reason.
The CD that was constantly in rotation during the past 2 weeks is CFAS, because for some reason it can make drafting a breeze... Whenever I hear I Will Still Be Laughing, I always think "yes, I can do this!"

My family was surprised when I told them the CD is by Soul Asylum.
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Post by AlyssaJones »

lune ellise wrote:My family was surprised when I told them the CD is by Soul Asylum.
Over the summer I went on a long car trip with my parents and I brought all my SA cds and when I put in Candy From a Stranger my dad said, "What group is this?" and I was like, "It's Soul Asylum! The same guys we've been listening to for three hours!"

LittleTooClean
Social Butterfly

Post by LittleTooClean »

Closer To The Stars. :) without a question in my mind.

Lots of old memories with Karl. :D

Miss Fitt 2
O'Jeezer

Post by Miss Fitt 2 »

If we're talking about making me feel better when I'm feeling down, then i often turn to Closer to the Stars or Never Really Been. Neither of them are actually pep songs, but Closer to the Stars comforts me with its exquisiteness and the reminder that there are near-perfect things in the world. Experiencing talent and beauty is the thing most likely to allow glimmers of optimism to pierce any darkness I'm experiencing. And I always take comfort from the line in Never Really Been: "I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet, and on this I place my last bet."

But if we're talking about what song simply puts a goofy smile on my face, that would be Chains.
All that we are not stares back at what we are. - W. H. Auden

niceguynotgettingpaid
Stranger

Post by niceguynotgettingpaid »

People already picked a lot of the songs that cheer me up.

I love those opening drums in Can't Even Tell. That song has so much upbeat desperation that it has to get you going or at least make you smile

Brand New Shine is so fun. The lyrics are pretty serious about an artist trying hard to do something original, but the music, the music is pure smiles.

Bittersweetheart never used to get me up so much, but since I've seen SA live in the past few years rock that song over and over, now it just brings back memories of the show and that makes me happy.

If I want a fun or energetic song, Keep it Up usually works.

And I've always found Oxygen to be a really powerful song. With all the background vocals and imagery, I can always imagine it being performed on Broadway. Sparks flying from the stage as all the background vocals yell "Shock"

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

Some that always cheer me up are Can't Even Tell, Get on Out, Stand Up and Be Strong and By the Way (wedding song).

Another one that cheers me up for a slightly different reason is Everybody Love a Winner. Even though it's a pretty depressing song, it reminds me that, no matter how bad things seem to be, I still have family and friends that are there for me.