dave and tommy writing ... amongst other things

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
philipgar
O'Jeezer

dave and tommy writing ... amongst other things

Post by philipgar »

I saw this link over on the man without ties board, and figured I'd post it. http://ww3.startribune.com/blogs/poplif ... her-again/ According to the article dave and tommy were writing some stuff together, which sounds pretty cool. More interesting is to hear that paul, tommy and michael were jamming around together.

Phil

Atticusdog
Runaway

Re: dave and tommy writing ... amongst other things

Post by Atticusdog »

Awesome! would love to hear some Dave And Tommy material!

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

So, a little more on this.... The man without ties forum has these pictures from the jam sessions: http://paulwesterberg.proboards107.com/ ... hread=6270

If the 3 of them find another guitarist and do some 'mats shows... wow that would rock. It's just weird to think that soul asylum and the new mats would have half the same members... Small world.

Also, looking at these pictures again, is it just me, or does it look like Dave's guitar is sitting in the background of the second to last photo. The one amp also says SA, which makes me think that that is dave's guitar next to it. It has the look of it, but hard to tell from the blurry shot.

Phil

erocmann
Inmate

Post by erocmann »

I think you're right, Phil, that sure does look like Dave's guitar. I'm interested to hear what comes out of this.

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

wow, some very interesting reading here (and awesome pics too!!).

Sure would be awesome if they were to re-unite and do whatever inclines them!

I aslo agree that does look like Dave's guitar in that one photo, but certainly there's got to be more than one of those around isn't there (meaning it could certainly be someone elses)? Think of it, when was the last time Dave P ever played with Westerberg and/or the 'Mats??

edit:
related matter - another recent star/tribune article

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... =KArksUUUU
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

norma023 wrote: I aslo agree that does look like Dave's guitar in that one photo, but certainly there's got to be more than one of those around isn't there (meaning it could certainly be someone elses)? Think of it, when was the last time Dave P ever played with Westerberg and/or the 'Mats??
I doubt Dave was there during the sessions, but I think a lot of the gear there was SA's, judging by the amp with SA written on it. As tommy was in town writing with dave, it could make sense that they were jamming over at Dave's house or studio or something....

Phil

norma023
O'Jeezer

Post by norma023 »

philipgar wrote: As tommy was in town writing with dave, it could make sense that they were jamming over at Dave's house or studio or something....
Phil
Tommy was in "which" town with Dave? MN or New Orleans?

But read what Reimenshnider says in his article:

"He was down in New Orleans writing some songs with Dave Pirner. That was great news to hear, but even better was the mention he nonchalantly dropped into the conversation about being back in town last week to “mess around” with Paul Westerberg and Michael Bland"

I'd take that to say Stinson was in Minneapolis "chewing gum" with PW and Bland. Not saying they couldn't have been in SA's local studio (as they have one in town, right?), but surely they've got leads to other studios in town to use (I would think)......
When I die I won't own crap, but my kids will have a hell of a music collection to fight over

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

norma023 wrote:
philipgar wrote: As tommy was in town writing with dave, it could make sense that they were jamming over at Dave's house or studio or something....
Phil

"He was down in New Orleans writing some songs with Dave Pirner. That was great news to hear, but even better was the mention he nonchalantly dropped into the conversation about being back in town last week to “mess around” with Paul Westerberg and Michael Bland"

I'd take that to say Stinson was in Minneapolis "chewing gum" with PW and Bland. Not saying they couldn't have been in SA's local studio (as they have one in town, right?), but surely they've got leads to other studios in town to use (I would think)......

He was here in New Orleans. Dave does have a studio here.

When they mention being "in town" with Paul Westerberg and Michael Bland I figured they were talking about Mn?? It'd be a little disappointing to think that that much talent got together in one place and didn't go play somewhere for people.

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

norma023 wrote:
Phil

I was under the impression he was in both.... Doesn't make much sense, but that is how I've read the articles, as they say he was in new orleans, but than say he was in mpls anyhow, writing with dave, so jamming with michael and paul wasn't a big deal. Not really sure though.

Phil

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I think that little snip is just strangely worded. Tommy, at least, was definitely here in New Orleans. I saw him clearly at least once, while I was stuck in traffic. He was hanging around on his phone. It did cross my mind to go say hi, but I chickened out. My daughter sold him beer though, and then called me all excited to say "I just met somebody from Soul Asylum!"
Ridiculously enough, I didn't at first know who she was talking about. I asked her who she'd met, thinking that if she said Dan I was so totally heading over there, and she said "Tommy!" I blanked completely. I'm on the phone going "Tommy? Tommy....there's a Tommy in Soul Asylum?"
She said "Yes mom. The bass player?" and I'm thinking "I thought his name was George???" and then it all came back to me. "You mean Tommy STINSON?? Really? In Schiro's??? No shit!"

I felt just a touch retarded. Not to mention sorry I hadn't been there.