Any Dan sightings?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
BPop
Lone Rider

Any Dan sightings?

Post by BPop »

Found myself thinking about Dan today.

Has anyone heard from him since the announcement? I can see being disenchanted with the music industry and leaving it behind. But to leave music behind would be an entirely different thing.

I still find it sad that something that he created and I enjoyed so much was ultimately not enjoyable to him.

I saw the article about opening his art gallery. I hope it is going well.

I hope he finds the happiness in his music that was crushed by the industry.

It would be cool to know he still picks up a guitar every now and then and smiles.

- Brian

AlyssaJones
Social Butterfly

Re: Any Dan sightings?

Post by AlyssaJones »

I haven't seen or heard a thing from him since. It's sad... jaded as he was towards the end, he was still such a nice guy. Still made time for the fans and put forth all the same effort. The last time I ever saw him, I had this bad vibe that something was over, and not even three months later he quit.

Maybe eventually someone will reach out to him for an interview, just to see what he's been up to. No SA questions; just find out what life has brought him since. I know I'd like that.

Matthew
Caged Rat

Post by Matthew »

golden smog project is cool tune ..amazing with sa show
Last edited by Matthew on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:59 am, edited 21 times in total.

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i haven't heard anything.
but somebody at my company looks vaguely like him - just enough to remind me of dan when i see this guy walk by occasionally!
people change and just because being in SA wasn't his thing anymore doesn't mean he didn't love it at one point and make some awesome music that we still can enjoy forever, and hopefully he's loving life. (meanwhile it seriously would be cool if in a few years he played w/ the band for a one-off show here or there[specifically 'here' at a show near me! ha!] )

TravisSaves
Social Butterfly

Post by TravisSaves »

I often think about how incredible it would be if he released a solo acoustic album of all the songs he wrote for Soul Asylum that weren't used!

OneLovedBand
Social Butterfly

Post by OneLovedBand »

I follow Grapefruit Moon on Twitter. Don't know if Dan or somebody else is making the posts, but it makes me feel like he hasn't disappeared completely. Other than that, nothing.

BPop
Lone Rider

Post by BPop »

I just think it would be cool to hear that he was spotted at his gallery or a party or even on a street corner, not playing for money, but just playing for the joy of music.

Maybe it just takes time.

I follow Warner E. Hodges on FB and he stepped away from the industry for a while (and truthfully, maybe the industry and music stepped away from him). But now he seems to be having fun joining in on different bands of his choosing (still some JATS, but also Dan Baird and Homemade Sin, a couple of side projects and Drivin' n Cryin').

nikkip
Social Butterfly

Post by nikkip »

mystic_spiral_3
O'Jeezer

Post by mystic_spiral_3 »

He made a brief appearance at a Jayhawks show last year, for the Golden Smog song "Until You Came Along." Wish I could have seen that show.

irreverentsoul
Runaway

Post by irreverentsoul »

Dan was quoted in a couple of news stories about the ending of David Letterman.

http://www.startribune.com/celebrities- ... 304163111/

http://www.vita.mn/crawl/304451801.html