What is your favorite album by Soul Asylum?

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.

What is your favorite album by Soul Asylum?

And the Horse They Rode In On
28%
Candy From A Stranger
2%
Clam Dip & Other Delights
No votes
Grave Dancers Union
13%
Hang Time
17%
Let Your Dim Light Shine
15%
Made To Be Broken
9%
Say What You Will, Clarence... Karl Sold the Truck
No votes
The Silver Lining
13%
Time's Incinerator
No votes
While You Were Out
2%

Total votes: 46

drewbie323
Brand New Shine

Re: What is your favorite album by Soul Asylum?

Post by drewbie323 »

I had to go with Hang Time. I was turned on to SA by a friend who played this album for me when it was their most current release. I bought the cassette in '89 and it was what I listened to almost constantly. I was a heavy metal dude throughout high school and listened to little else. Soul Asylum and Jane's Addiction lead the way to me discovering just how much I was missing. Today, there are few genres that I don't listen to at least a few songs or artists.

Hang Time would qualify as part of my desert island collection.

edabbiati
Stranger

Post by edabbiati »

My Vote goes to "Let Your Dim Light Shine"...from the artwork (I have a huge poster of the cover in my living room!) to the track order... PERFECT!!!

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

i cant believe no one picked candy its an amazing cd and some of the best songs were left off this one a masterpiece for sure lydls is dang close though

philipgar
O'Jeezer

Post by philipgar »

EL DANGEROSO wrote:i cant believe no one picked candy its an amazing cd and some of the best songs were left off this one a masterpiece for sure lydls is dang close though
That's part of the problem with CFAS.... Some of the best songs were left off, and in my opinion the songs (as they appeared on the album) lack the passion that is in them. They really just didn't record well it seems. I have always been a big fan of CFAS, but I am a much bigger fan of the music from that era than the album itself.

Also, I don't think I could resist voting for Horse (I think I had voted for that back when I took the poll). It is hard to say though, and really depends on my mood. In general, this club tends to have many many mixed feelings concerning candy. There are those that love it, a group that despises it and wishes it never existed, and those that like it, but prefer a lot of the other material. In general though, feelings about this album tend to be very passionate.

Phil

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

I thought for sure that Hang Time would win this poll, especially given the rankings of Sometime To Return and Cartoon in the favorite song grand finale. I guess I was wrong.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

I know what you mean, Homesick. I thought Hang Time will win, or Grave Dancers Union. "Horse" was a surprise - and that's what I love in this forum!

I'm just curious why the voters chose Horse. I would love to hear from the 10 who voted for it. We might have other topics we can get from them...

As for CFAS, I am glad that someone at the least would say it's a better album than most perceive it. It gives the forum a better perspective (I hope). Now there are 4 of us! Yes!
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

I was one that voted for Horse. There's so much that goes into my reason for that vote...for one, that one really hooked me on the band. I was relatively new to listening to SA then and I would just hear the first guitar sounds of "Veil of Tears" and I just loved it. The energy of "All the King's Friends" is awesome, as well. That whole album just represents so much good stuff for me and my life at that time.....love it!

Also, I think every one of their CDs has its own "something" about it. It's always a bit tough to narrow it down to any one favorite....song, video, album....anything! But that's the beauty and genius of this band and that's why we love 'em....
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

i voted for horse because i decided it was the most well rounded ... or something. i tried to look at them as a whole. i don't know how to explain! but lately i am tempted to change my vote to cfas.... but i've only had it a month so i'm waiting to see how i feel about it longer term :)
it was a very very hard decision!

EL DANGEROSO
Social Butterfly

Post by EL DANGEROSO »

i see what your saying phillip i never knew how other fans felt about it till i got on this site its good to see some like it lune and zany

CULater
Caged Rat

Post by CULater »

As for CFAS....I know there's a lot of mixed feelings about it and that's just fine. I myself like it quite a bit! It goes with the flow of the evolution of their music.
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""