New Soul Asylum Song: Let's All Kill Each Other

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
sheryl
Social Butterfly

Re: New Soul Asylum Song: Let's All Kill Each Other

Post by sheryl »

Hi Lauren
Welcome!

Ok, that just sounded like a meeting.
Anyway....

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

lune ellise wrote:I DID IT! I finally reviewed the song (after hearing it a million times during the university jungle adventure, otherwise known as enrollment).

I like the song, it puts a smile on anyone's face because it's really funny... :D
Do you think it's funny? I absolutely understand why you have to have a sense of humor to get the song, but I didn't really think it was funny. It kind of made me go "Yeah, well.....yeah. That about says it." The overall sentiment I got from it was "Well look at this shit we've got going on THIS time. I don't even know."

Yaz McBoo
Social Butterfly

Post by Yaz McBoo »

Is this indeed a brand new song recently recorded in the studio, or something that has kicked around since the TSL sessions that we never knew about?

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

laurenalexander wrote:Hi everyone :D

I am Lauren, wife of Danny, who wrote that little book about our boys. I'm a recent convert to a SA mega-fan. I just listened to the new song. Very happy about that and so glad that it is on this site! Whoo hoo!
Wow, welcome to the site, Lauren! Hope you're enjoying your stay so far!

I'm constantly impressed by the band's ability to still bring in new fans of all ages from everywhere in the world. Apart from the huge number of downloads, nine new members have joined our forum in only the last three days. I think promos like this new song can only help in that regard—it's on the internet, after all, and when it's free...
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lune ellise
Social Butterfly

Post by lune ellise »

laurenalexander wrote:Hi everyone :D

I am Lauren, wife of Danny, who wrote that little book about our boys...
Welcome, Lauren! Nice of you to be here - and tell Danny thanks for the neat little book!
Homesick wrote:I'm constantly impressed by the band's ability to still bring in new fans of all ages from everywhere in the world. Apart from the huge number of downloads, nine new members have joined our forum in only the last three days. I think promos like this new song can only help in that regard—it's on the internet, after all, and when it's free...
Hey Homesick, are there any new Asians here? OK - don't bother answering that, I'm just curious and so excited about this new enterprise. :mrgreen: I'm so happy for the band and for the site!
sheryl wrote:
lune ellise wrote:I DID IT! I finally reviewed the song (after hearing it a million times during the university jungle adventure, otherwise known as enrollment).

I like the song, it puts a smile on anyone's face because it's really funny... :D
Do you think it's funny? I absolutely understand why you have to have a sense of humor to get the song, but I didn't really think it was funny.
My reaction to it is more subjective (for a less subjective one, read my in-depth review of the song). Although I don't mean the song is funny as in sending me on the floor laughing hysterically - it's still funny in a sense that can make me smile. Let me explain:

There are really times when I think it's easier for me to blow up the whole world and be done with it all (hormones must really be kicking in). The song is a smack-on reference to what I exactly thought, and somehow the satire makes me go back to Earth and realize how stupid the idea is. It's just like looking at yourself in your high school yearbook and thought "OMG, was I really like that before???". I think if you look at it that way, the song is funny...

Of course, there are personal experiences of mine that contributes to my subjective reaction on the song - but let'snot dwell into that (it's dead boring anyway).
"There's no such thing as a man-tamed girl."
My reviews of Soul Asylum albums: http://fritzi.gironella-cdo.com/search/ ... l%20asylum

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

I love that it's such a peppy catchy little song - it's been in my head for days too! But the message is so opposite that it's just perfect. Thank you Thank you for sharing it!

And I love the little D. Alexander SA book too - I actually ordered it off of Amazon after first reading about it here! So thank him for writing it too!

rockinbrian
Inmate

Post by rockinbrian »

Posted about the song on a DVD site (www.dvdtalk.com) in their music subforum yesterday. 6 people have replied to my post but 124 have viewed the post in a day.

Again thanks for the great new song. Hoping my post can lure in at least 1 more new Soul Asylum fan and let them know about this great fansite.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Is it just me or do the first few seconds of this song sound a lot like the first few seconds of Slowly Rising? I was listening to Let's All Kill Each Other several times yesterday and the similarity struck me. So today I pulled out Slowly Rising to listen to them both. Just the first few seconds are nearly identical.

I don't have the technical skills to make sound clips for comparison, but maybe someone else could help me out here?

Oh, and I told my dad the title of the new song and he laughed. Guess he actually listened to that "Selected Soul Asylum" mix CD I made for him a few weeks ago because he seemed to understand the irony just fine. ;)

I'm really loving this song more and more.
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

laurenalexander
Marionette

Post by laurenalexander »

Hi again! Thanks for the welcome. I do feel a bit like I'm entering a support group - in a good way! Like; Hi, I'm Lauren and I'm a Soul-a-holic. hee hee...and I will definately send the love Danny's way ;)

It is fun reading all the posts and especially comforting knowing I'm not the only addict. My love began when I saw them in KC over the summer. So, so, so many old and not-so-new songs are new to me so I'm thrilled to share a REAL new song with y'all!

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

Welcome, Lauren. Rusty (Twiddly Dee) and I were at that KC show in June, too. We were hoping you and Danny might make the St. Louis show so we could all say hello. It was a great show, lots of fans, lots of fun.

Maybe we can have that Soul-aholics meeting at the next KC show. Rusty and I definitely belong in that support group. ;)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)