New Soul Asylum Song: Let's All Kill Each Other

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
CULater
Caged Rat

Re: New Soul Asylum Song: Let's All Kill Each Other

Post by CULater »

Just curious...if the first paragraph of Dave's message is still intact on their MySpace page...why'd this site have to take it off?

So...anyone else on board for them just picking out 10 or 11 more songs in addition to the new one and we'd have ourselves an album!! :D
"I've learned to accept and not to expect - the respect and neglect that I get. And I try not to forget about what hasn't happened yet.....""

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

CULater wrote:Just curious...if the first paragraph of Dave's message is still intact on their MySpace page...why'd this site have to take it off?

So...anyone else on board for them just picking out 10 or 11 more songs in addition to the new one and we'd have ourselves an album!! :D
I noticed that too..maybe they just haven't got around to taking it off. Who knows...but I am up for the album idea!!

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

My best guess would be that he asked them to take it off here because a percentage of his audience started in to bitch about having been called dumb.
Granted most of us weren't serious about it and it was completely good natured, but text doesn't always convey tone.

And honestly...it's the front page of the SA fansite the band is actually using as their own. Think about it.

CrazyLittleWoman
Social Butterfly

Post by CrazyLittleWoman »

CULater wrote:So...anyone else on board for them just picking out 10 or 11 more songs in addition to the new one and we'd have ourselves an album!! :D
On October 20 in another thread, I said:
CrazyLittleWoman wrote:If I were the goddess of musicians, we'd have both a new Soul Asylum AND a new Dave Pirner CD within the next two years.
Jeez, exercise your new-found powers to perform a minor miracle and everyone gets all impatient! :roll:

I'm working on it! ;)
"Dave Pirner was the coolest motherfucker to wield a low-strung telecaster who isn't called Keith Richards." -- Ginger (Wildhearts)

Judgmental Patient
Social Butterfly

Post by Judgmental Patient »

sheryl wrote:I know, right? The minute you look away, something changes.
Way of the world.

At least it was just one surprise song that slipped in while you weren't looking.

They slipped an entire record by me!! I found out about TSL when I wandered into a record store looking for the new Snow Patrol cd,and Soul Asylum happened to be next to it in the new releases.

What you think of the song?
It's not my favorite ever, like I said politics really don't do it for me musically, but that doesn't mean I don't really enjoy listening to it, or that I haven't had it stuck in my head for the last 24 hours ;)
What happened son, you could have been someone
You could have been much more

laurenalexander
Marionette

Post by laurenalexander »

CrazyLittleWoman - I think I saw you at the show...if you were up there in the front.....maybe? If so... I probably have you in one of the zillion pictures I took since I was playing photo journalist for the Pitch. I wanted to go to St. Louis but I worked that saturday. We went to Des Moines though and had an awesome time.

Homesick - AWww ;) thanks for the awesome art plug! I think I'd pass out from shock if I did art for SA but when I come to I could make something awesome for them. I already name paintings after their titles and lyrics :D

I'm so happy to be here....Soul-a-holics unite!

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I found this link where they mention the new song and give a link to this site. http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=958450&spid=1314

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Wow, that's great! According to the website itself, it "boasts over 3.5 million hits per month." Thanks for the info, Closer!
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

lucy
Social Butterfly

Post by lucy »

What'd he do, round up the neighbor kids and have them sing "lets all kill each other"?

Somewhere there's a local kindergarten teacher who thinks the kids in her class are morphing into children of the corn..../quote][quote][

I don't know if I did that quote thing right, but Sheryl, this is hilarious.

Closer
Social Butterfly

Post by Closer »

I haven't given my opinion about the song yet, and I'm sure no one is waiting for that, but seeing as it's been a week and I'm still listening a lot to it, I'll give my opinion.
Even though it doesn't hold up to the first two songs in the trilogy, (but that's ok, because both those songs probably belong to their finest) I think it's a great song and the more I listen to it the better it gets, which is odd because usually a catchy song like this only gets boring the more I listen to it.
It sounds youthful and energetic and I think it's impressive to still sound that way for a band that has been going on for so long. The part that I like the most is the bridge. It's twenty seconds, which is long for a fast and punky song like this, and I really like how you can hear an acoustic guitar strumming along in the background if you listen closely, which is something you don't expect either in a punky song. I also like the vocal melody in the bridge, it's typical Dave Pirner style and it's a nice change from the fast lines that he's singing in the verse.
One of the many things I always liked about SA is that a lot of their songs don't have that typical "verse chorus verse" song structure but are more intelligent than that, and that is the only thing that's a little bit lacking for me on The Silver Lining. Only a couple of songs on it have a real bridge.
If the song didn't have this bridge, but if they for example immediately went to the guitar solo after the second chorus, then the song would have been less interesting to me, which doesn't mean that I don't like the rest of the song, but the bridge definitely makes the song for me.
Maybe I've analysed it too much, because it's just a song, but seeing as it's the first new song in over two years, I guess I'm allowed.