New Soul Asylum Song: Let's All Kill Each Other

Discuss any aspect of Soul Asylum, their music, and the band's members.
Homesick
Warden

Re: New Soul Asylum Song: Let's All Kill Each Other

Post by Homesick »

It seems Bruce Springsteen took a cue from Soul Asylum and also offered up a free song for download on his website in honor of the occasion—only this is intended not for the election but for Halloween: A Night With the Jersey Devil.
Jakob Kallin, webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com

zany
Social Butterfly

Post by zany »

Closer wrote: ...
The part that I like the most is the bridge. It's twenty seconds, which is long for a fast and punky song like this, and I really like how you can hear an acoustic guitar strumming along in the background if you listen closely, which is something you don't expect either in a punky song. I also like the vocal melody in the bridge, it's typical Dave Pirner style and it's a nice change from the fast lines that he's singing in the verse.
One of the many things I always liked about SA is that a lot of their songs don't have that typical "verse chorus verse" song structure but are more intelligent than that, and that is the only thing that's a little bit lacking for me on The Silver Lining. Only a couple of songs on it have a real bridge.
If the song didn't have this bridge, but if they for example immediately went to the guitar solo after the second chorus, then the song would have been less interesting to me, which doesn't mean that I don't like the rest of the song, but the bridge definitely makes the song for me.
Maybe I've analysed it too much, because it's just a song, but seeing as it's the first new song in over two years, I guess I'm allowed.
i'm glad you pointed this out - i had lost my zune-cord so i've only been able to listen to the song a couple times until now and after i listened to it after reading your comment i like it better than i did the first 2 times. it's also growing on me. i wasn't sure what i felt about it at first.
anyways i agree the different structure of the songs is also one of the great SA things.

rockinbrian
Inmate

Post by rockinbrian »

Thanks Homesick for the Bruce freebie. Free is always good.

whatchaneed
Brand New Shine

Post by whatchaneed »

[color=#008000][/color]
Yes! Very cool to see the interest in their own site! That would be very nice to see more often.......anyone else agree? Thanks Mr. P it's nice to hear form you at such an important time in our nations history and future.
Just tryin' to make a differance

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

We've got 879 unique downloads counted so far. The big question is: Will we reach 1,000 before the election is over? Taking all bets!

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

A friend of mine cursed me yesterday for hooking him on Soul Asylum after he downloaded Let's All Kill Each Other from the site—which I'd say is a pretty favorable review of the song!

sheryl
Social Butterfly

Post by sheryl »

I hooked my hardcore anti 90's anti grunge friend on Soul Asylum when he heard the guitar on Never Really Been. He now owns everything they've released and a lot of things they haven't ;)

He curses me daily.

:lol:

Twiddly Dee
Social Butterfly

Post by Twiddly Dee »

Homesick wrote:We've got 879 unique downloads counted so far. The big question is: Will we reach 1.000 before the election is over? Taking all bets!

So Jakob what was the final count? Did me make it to the 1000 mark?

Rusty
Don't want to be bored no more..
I know theres so much more

Homesick
Warden

Post by Homesick »

Twiddly Dee wrote:So Jakob what was the final count? Did me make it to the 1000 mark?

Rusty
Sadly, we didn't; the final result was 932 unique downloads. That is still one heck of an achievement, though, and a milestone for the website.

Additionally, in all fairness, this count neglects the downloads from those couples and families who use the same internet connection, since it only counts their unique IP address once. All of those included, there's a chance it could have reached 1,000.

Finally, the total number of downloads, not distinguishing between them by IP address, was 1,215—and that's squarely above the mark!

Monolith Maniac
The Judge

Post by Monolith Maniac »

In regards to the final number of downloads, I want to thank everyone who downloaded the song to help it achieve this number(s). I'll let you decide which number (932, 1,215) you want to go with. ;)

I also appreciate all those who helped spread the word, and voted in the election.

Thanks!
Jim Metz, Webmaster of EnterTheSoulAsylum.com